Rumour Has It: Chelsea in box seat to land Juventus defender De Ligt

By Sports Desk December 21, 2021

Matthijs de Ligt's agent Mina Raiola is ready to find the defender a new club.

The outspoken representative suggested he could join Barcelona, Real Madrid or Paris Saint-Germain.

He also indicated the Premier League was of interest to the Juventus centre-back.

 

TOP STORY – CHELSEA FRONTRUNNERS TO LAND DE LIGT

Chelsea are leading the race to sign Juventus defender De Ligt, claims The Sun.

Raiola has indicated the 22-year-old is ready to leave Juve, who are off the Serie A title pace this term.

Chelsea are expected to lose a host of defenders and eager to make a move for De Ligt.

 

ROUND-UP

- Cashed-up Newcastle United have an eye on Inter forward Edin Dzeko as well as a loan deal for Manchester United's Anthony Martial, reports The Sun.

Manchester United have been in touch with River Plate about 21-year-old Argentinean forward Julian Alvarez, claims Ole.

United are also set to win the race to sign Olympique Marseille midfielder Boubacar Kamara according to FourFourTwo.

- Gerard Romero claims that Tottenham will make another move for Barcelona defender Clement Lenglet after missing out on him last transfer window.

- Fabrizio Romano reports that Jonathan Ikone's move from Lille to Fiorentina is agreed with only the paperwork left to be signed on a five-year deal with a €15m fee.

Related items

  • Premier League and Championship clubs given green light over safe standing areas Premier League and Championship clubs given green light over safe standing areas

    Premier League and Championship clubs have been given the green light to introduce safe standing areas from the start of the 2022-23 campaign.

    The announcement by the United Kingdom government on Monday came on the back of a successful 'early adopters' pilot study during the second half of last season.

    Chelsea, Manchester City, Manchester United, Tottenham and Cardiff City took part, with Brentford, QPR and Wolves set to join them in offering standing in designated seated areas for home and away fans.

    Other teams can apply to operate licensed safe standing areas, while Wembley will also offer limited safe standing for supporters at domestic matches later in the upcoming season.

    "Thanks to a robust trial, thorough evidence and modern engineering, we are now ready to allow standing once again in our grounds," said culture secretary Nadine Dorries.

    "We are not reintroducing terraces and only clubs which meet strict safety criteria will be permitted."

    A report from the Sports Ground Safety Authority (SGSA) released on Monday found that standing areas in the trial run delivered a positive impact on fan safety.

    SGSA chief executive Martyn Henderson said: "We welcome the controlled return of standing for the modern era, which has been made possible by a very close collaboration with the government.

    "This is a historic moment for football – and, most importantly, for the fans who have campaigned for this change and will be safer as a result of today's decision."

  • Barcelona sign Christensen on free transfer after leaving Chelsea Barcelona sign Christensen on free transfer after leaving Chelsea

    Barcelona have announced the signing of Andreas Christensen on a free transfer from Chelsea.

    The centre-back has moved to Camp Nou after his contract with Chelsea expired at the end of June.

    Denmark international Christensen has agreed a four-year deal that includes a €500millon buy-out clause. 

    Christensen had been linked with Barca for some time after it began to look likely he would not extend his stay in west London.

    Barca president Joan Laporta confirmed on Saturday that Christensen's deal would be officially completed and announced this week.

    He becomes Barca's second signing of the transfer window, with Franck Kessie's move from Serie A champions Milan – also on a free transfer – having been confirmed earlier on Monday.

    Christensen joined Chelsea from Brondby back in 2012 and made his professional debut two years later, but it was only after a two-year loan spell with Borussia Monchengladbach that his Blues career began to take off.

    He has made 167 appearances for the club in all competitions, including 26 last season, scoring four goals in total.

    A Champions League, Europa League, Club World Cup and UEFA Super Cup winner in his Stamford Bridge career, Chelsea won 92 of the matches in which Christensen featured.

    With Christensen and Kessie on board, Barca's focus seems to be on completing a move for Leeds United winger Raphinha.

    Chelsea have reportedly agreed a fee with Leeds for the Brazil international, but Laporta insisted Raphinha has indicated he instead wishes to join Barca, who are hopeful of striking a deal despite their financial issues.

    Barca are also in talks with Ousmane Dembele over a new deal, with the France winger now a free agent, while Manchester United have an interest in Blaugrana midfielder Frenkie de Jong.

  • Moutinho commits to Wolves with new one-year deal Moutinho commits to Wolves with new one-year deal

    Joao Moutinho has signed a new deal to stay on as a Wolves player for the 2022-23 campaign.

    The Portugal international had become a free agent on July 1 when his previous contract at Molineux expired.

    He had been tipped to join a new club, but Wolves confirmed on their official website on Monday that the 35-year-old has agreed a new one-year deal.

    Talks over fresh terms had dragged on as Moutinho was reportedly holding out for a two-year extension, but Wolves director Scott Sellars is pleased an agreement was reached.

    "In Joao's time at the club, he's been vital, bringing real experience and quality to the group, so to get him re-signed is a massive boost for us," Sellars said.

    "With contracts, it's about getting to a place where everybody's happy, the club and the player, and it isn't always easy.

    "But in the end what matters is the outcome and we're very happy with it.

    "He's a huge influence in the dressing room, with the younger players, and sets standards that they follow."

    Moutinho is heading into his fifth season as a Wolves player and has already chalked up 176 appearances for the Premier League side, 39 of those coming last season.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.