Real Madrid's Benzema an injury doubt for Inter clash

By Sports Desk December 04, 2021

Karim Benzema is a doubt for Real Madrid's Champions League clash with Italian champions Inter on Tuesday but could be fit for their derby with Atletico Madrid.

The France striker limped out in the 17th minute of Madrid's 2-0 win over Real Sociedad on Saturday clutching his hamstring and grimacing before he was replaced by Luka Jovic.

When asked about the injury Madrid head coach Carlo Ancelotti suggested he would not be fit to face Inter at the Santiago Bernabeu.

Madrid have already qualified for the knockout phase of the Champions League but must avoid defeat to go through as winners of Group D.

That task will be made more difficult without Benzema who leads the goals (12) and assists (seven) charts in LaLiga and has scored five goals in the Champions League.

Ancelotti's side also host rivals and defending champions Atletico, who they have a 10-point advantage over, next weekend.

"The Benzema thing doesn't seem serious at all. But I don't think it will be available for Tuesday," Ancelotti told a media conference.

"Karim has had a problem, it bothered him a little and it don't I think it will be for Tuesday but maybe for Sunday, yes."

Benzema's replacement Jovic scored his first LaLiga goal of the season against Sociedad, and provided the assist for Vinicius Junior's opening goal.

It meant he scored and assisted in the same game for the first time in all competitions (41 appearances) and was involved in the same number of goals than in his previous 22 games (one goal and one assist in 462 minutes).

"For me, Jovic is a good striker," Ancelotti said.

"He is a very strong striker, he uses the ball very well. His first goal play is very much his style and I want to congratulate him. 

"Enjoy and take advantage of the opportunity. I congratulate him because he doesn't play a lot and he deserved to play. And there are others who deserve to play and this is my biggest problem."

Madrid defender Eder Militao made 10 clearances against Sociedad (nine headed clearances), the most by a player for Los Blancos in a match this season in all competitions.

Ancelotti hailed his partnership with David Alaba as one which brings the best out of both players.

"The quality of the two is extraordinary," he said.

"They are different. Militao is very strong, incredible, and Alaba adapts very well. They understand each other very well and complement each other very well."

Related items

  • Wimbledon: Nadal and Halep thrilled to partake in 'beautiful' Centre Court centenary celebrations Wimbledon: Nadal and Halep thrilled to partake in 'beautiful' Centre Court centenary celebrations

    Rafael Nadal and Simona Halep claimed victories on Centre Court on Monday, a day on from celebrating the venue's centenary.

    Nadal and Halep were among a host of champions, including Roger Federer and last year's winner Novak Djokovic, to stand on Centre Court on Sunday for a celebration of its 100th anniversary.

    A day later, they were back at the venue to seal their respective progressions to the quarter-finals.

    Halep, Wimbledon champion in 2019, defeated fourth seed Paula Badosa 6-1 6-2, while Nadal overcame Botic van de Zandschulp 6-4 6-2 7-6 (8-6).

    Of female players still competing on the WTA Tour, only Serena Williams (14) and Venus Williams (13) have reached more Wimbledon quarter-finals than Halep (five), who will face Amanda Anisimova in the last eight.

    Nadal, meanwhile, has now played 350 matches at grand slams – a total bettered only by Federer and Djokovic.

    The 22-time grand slam winner was made to work for victory in the third set by Van de Zandschulp, but having overcome a wobble, went on to secure his 18th straight major match win of 2022.

    Asked about being given the honour of taking to Centre Court on Sunday, Nadal said: "Yesterday was a beautiful thing sharing the court with legends of our sport.

    "Centre Court for 100 years is something very special."

    It was a sentiment echoed by Halep, who is looking to reach her first grand slam semi-final since the 2020 Australian Open and has not dropped a set so far at Wimbledon this year.

    "Definitely it was a place I wanted to be today. I think I played a great match," she said. "It was a pleasure to be back on Centre Court with this great crowd supporting me.

    "I missed it a lot, three years was a [long time].  Yesterday I was on the court with all the champions and it was amazing. I was more nervous than I was today."

    Next up for Nadal is Taylor Fritz, who beat the Spaniard in their last meeting in the final of the Indian Wells Masters earlier this season.

    While Nadal is into his eighth Wimbledon quarter-final – and his 47th at a grand slam, a tally that lags behind only Djokovic (53) and Federer (58) – Fritz has never reached the last eight of a major before.

    "In a personal way, for me to be able to be in quarter-finals after three years, it's amazing for me, so I'm very, very happy," said Nadal, who is hunting the calendar Grand Slam in 2022.

    "Every match is different," he added of his tie against Fritz, which he anticipates being tricky.

    "He is playing well and having a very good year, including a first Masters 1000 title, against me by the way, but we will be in the quarter-final of Wimbledon, so what should I expect?"

  • Premier League player arrested on suspicion of rape Premier League player arrested on suspicion of rape

    A Premier League player has been arrested on suspicion of rape.

    The player, who is in his late twenties, cannot be named for legal reasons.

    He was arrested on Monday after a woman in her twenties reported an allegation of rape to the police.

    A Metropolitan Police spokesperson told Stats Perform: "On July 4, an allegation of rape of a woman in her 20s was reported to police.

    "It was reported the alleged rape happened in June 2022.

    "On July 4, a man was arrested at an address in Barnet on suspicion of rape and taken into custody where he remains.

    "Enquiries into the circumstances are ongoing."

  • Wimbledon: Nadal dispatches Van de Zandschulp to set up Fritz rematch Wimbledon: Nadal dispatches Van de Zandschulp to set up Fritz rematch

    Rafael Nadal will face Taylor Fritz in the quarter-finals at Wimbledon after marking his 350th grand slam match with a win over Botic van de Zandschulp.

    Nadal is in the hunt for a clean sweep of the majors this season and the two-time Wimbledon champion remained on course with Monday's victory, though he ultimately needed a third-set tie-break to get the job done 6-4 6-2 7-6 (8-6).

    The 36-year-old's wobble lasted the whole third set, with Nadal squandering the chance to serve out the victory before he gave up three match points.

    But Nadal would not let a fourth opportunity slip from his grasp, and Fritz, who beat Jason Kubler in straight sets, is next up.

    The American won his last meeting with Nadal, defeating the great Spaniard in the Indian Wells Masters earlier this season.

    Nadal set the tone by forcing Van de Zandschulp to salvage two break points in the Dutchman's first service game.

    Set one went Nadal's way with under 45 minutes played when he claimed the match's first break, and Van de Zandschulp was swiftly 2-0 down at the start of the second, which the Spaniard went on to dominate.

    The 22-time grand slam champion endured a wobble at the start of the third when he squandered a 40-0 lead on his own serve.

    Nadal struck straight back, and a second break followed when the world number four reeled off an exquisite, cushioned cross-court winner.

    Yet Van de Zandschulp was handed a reprieve, with a double fault and some sloppy shots seeing Nadal fail to serve out the win.

    Nadal seemed to have the edge in the tie-break when he came out on top in a wicked rally, yet he saw three match points escape before, finally, an overhit Van de Zandschulp volley sent him into an eighth Wimbledon quarter-final.

    Data slam: Another milestone up for Nadal

    Nadal has now played in 350 singles matches at grand slam events, becoming just the third man to do so in the Open Era, behind fellow greats Novak Djokovic (378) and Roger Federer (429).

    He has won his first 18 grand slam matches in 2022. In the Open Era, only Djokovic (last year) and Rod Laver (1969) have won more matches at the majors from the start of the season. ​

    WINNERS/UNFORCED ERRORS
    Nadal – 29/17
    Van de Zandschulp – 31/34

    ACES/DOUBLE FAULTS
    Nadal – 9/2
    Van de Zandschulp – 11/7

    BREAK POINTS WON
    Nadal – 5/11
    Van de Zandschulp – 2/4

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.