UEFA's Boban calls biennial World Cup plan an 'absurdity' that would 'hurt everybody'

By Sports Desk October 09, 2021

UEFA's chief of football Zvonimir Boban said those in the game must fight FIFA's proposal to stage the World Cup every two years because if it succeeds it would "hurt everybody." 

FIFA held an online summit last month to discuss moving World Cups from occurring every four years to every two, which has already been met by strong opposition within UEFA.

Former Milan and Croatia star Boban said the idea was "even worse than the Super League," which was foiled earlier this year by wide-ranging public backlash from fans and European clubs.

"Every normal person who understand and respect football, cannot accept the biennial World Cup idea," Boban said via Gazzetta dello Sport. "You would cancel 100 years of history of the World Cup, the best competition in the world.

"Football cannot be revolutionised unilaterally without a good consultation with all the parts involved and ordering other institutions to do other things: UEFA must organise Euro every two years, domestic league must cut the number of teams, this and that.

"The most absurd thing, even if probably clubs don’t realise it yet, is the two windows for international breaks. Three games in a row and a player is dead. Two games you can recover, three not. Travels don’t hurt footballers, too many games in a row do."

While several UEFA officials have spoken out against the plan, Boban's opposition is notable given his ties to FIFA president Gianni Infantino. 

Boban worked as FIFA's Deputy Secretary-General from 2016 to 2019. 

"It is such an absurdity that I could never imagine that could come from a president I still love after working with him for three years or from a football person like [Arsene] Wenger," he said. "This is idea is so crazy that we really have to fight against it because it would hurt everybody."

Boban said UEFA would never propose holding the Euros every two years, "even if it meant more money". 

"It would be bad for players, leagues, clubs as well as for the appeal of competitions," he added. "It does not respect anybody. It would destroy football's institutions together with the footballing pyramid that was built thanks to decades of work."

Related items

  • We're going to need Messi - Mbappe explains giving up hat-trick penalty in PSG win over Club Brugge We're going to need Messi - Mbappe explains giving up hat-trick penalty in PSG win over Club Brugge

    Kylian Mbappe said Paris Saint-Germain are "going to need Lionel Messi" as the Frenchman revealed why he gave up a chance to compete a hat-trick from the penalty spot in the 4-1 victory over Club Brugge.

    Mbappe struck twice inside the opening seven minutes before setting up Messi's first goal in a scintillating first-half performance.

    Despite being on a hat-trick, the 22-year-old was not the man to step up to the spot when a penalty was awarded to PSG in the second half, with Messi grabbing his second goal of the game instead.

    Mbappe explained that it was more important for Messi, whose start to life in France has been mixed, to build form and confidence than it was for him to take home the match ball.

    "We are going to need Lionel Messi," Mbappe said after the game. "He remains Lionel Messi. We are going to need him during the season, and I am sure he will help us when the important [games] arrive.

    "He has to arrive with confidence for these matches. It is good for him that he finishes with two goals, but it is also good for us for the future."

    Mbappe insisted he was more concerned with the wider welfare of the team than his own individual goals and praised his colleagues for their part in his strong showings this term. He has 11 goals and 12 assists in 22 appearances across all competitions so far.

    "I'm trying to help the team," Mbappe told RMC Sport. "It's not my goal to show who the boss is. I try to help the team, and my team-mates give it back to me so that I perform well too."

    PSG head coach Mauricio Pochettino gave the penalty decision his blessing, waxing lyrical about the blossoming relationships among his set of superstar players.

    Pochettino said: "I'm happy that Leo and Kylian scored two goals, they are attacking players who need to know the way to the net.

    "They can all take the penalty, with their quality. It is up to them to identify, at the moment, who needs it most, who is the most confident. This is something they decide for themselves on the pitch.

    "You can say Leo, Kylian, Ney [Neymar], Angel [Di Maria], Marquinhos, Verratti. They can all take a penalty, but in the moment it's a matter of trust and taking responsibility.

    "I believe that creating these relationships, the way they get closer, appreciate each other, respect each other, gives even more strength to their talent. But all these things take time. The seed is planted, the buds come out and in time there will be a plant, a tree and beautiful flowers."

  • Haller matches Ronaldo and beats Haaland record with latest Champions League strike Haller matches Ronaldo and beats Haaland record with latest Champions League strike

    Sebastien Haller broke a Champions League record held by Erling Haaland when he gave Ajax the lead against Sporting CP on Tuesday, matching another feat previously only ever achieved by Cristiano Ronaldo.

    The Ivory Coast international, who joined in January from West Ham, had difficulty in coming about goals during an 18-month Premier League stint.

    His Champions League form has been stellar, though, and the penalty he converted against Sporting was his 10th goal of this season's group stage.

    It made him the quickest player to reach double figures in a Champions League career, doing so in just six games. Norwegian star Haaland previously held that record, having got there in seven appearances.

    Haller also became the first player to score in each of his opening six games in the competition.

    Cristiano Ronaldo was already a Champions League veteran when he scored in all six of Real Madrid's 2017-18 group games. That made Ronaldo the first player to have netted in all of his team's matches at that stage of the competition in a single season.

    Haller has now become the second man to achieve that feat, with the 27-year-old's eighth-minute spot-kick coming after he was fouled by Daniel Braganca.

    It gave Ajax a 1-0 lead, but they were soon pegged back to 1-1 as Nuno Santos replied in the 22nd minute for Sporting. Antony restored Ajax's lead before half-time.

    Ajax were already assured of winning Group C coming into the final game of the opening stage, with Sporting assured of finishing as runners-up.

  • Real Madrid become first club to score 1,000 goals among Europe's elite Real Madrid become first club to score 1,000 goals among Europe's elite

    Toni Kroos scored Real Madrid's 1,000th Champions League/European Cup goal during their final Group D match against Inter.

    The Germany international put the 13-time winners ahead in the 17th minute at the Santiago Bernabeu.

    Receiving the ball from Rodrygo 25 yards from goal, Kroos took a touch before drilling a beautiful left-footed strike beyond the reach of Samir Handanovic.

    The wonderful effort saw Madrid become the first club to reach four figures in European Cup and Champions League matches (excluding qualifiers).

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.