Mourinho: I missed Italian news conferences because in England they only talk about controversy

By Sports Desk August 21, 2021

Jose Mourinho is already finding the nuance in Italian news conferences a mixed blessing after the Roma boss was served a tactical puzzler ahead of the Serie A season opener.

The former Chelsea, Manchester United and Tottenham manager suggested he had been pining for Italy while working in the Premier League last season, due to frustration with the English media.

But when faced with a question about Roma's full-backs struggling to deliver effective crosses in the European clash with Trabzonspor on Thursday, Mourinho initially suggested he did not want to answer.

"I will start with a joke," he told reporters. "In England I always used to say that I missed the press conferences in Italy, because here we talk more about tactics – whereas they only want to talk about controversies.

"Now I'm back in Italy, though, I don't want to talk about tactics because you are too good at it!"

But Mourinho went on to give a full answer to the enquiry, admitting Roma "messed up" several crosses and concluding his team would "try to build up our attacking play so we have a number of different options".

Roma edged their Europa Conference League game 2-1 in Turkey, and on Sunday they begin their Serie A campaign with a home test against Fiorentina.

Tammy Abraham could make his debut in that game, Mourinho confirmed, even though the striker has been unable to train with his new team-mates due to pandemic restrictions on his involvement since arriving from Chelsea.

"Tomorrow he will be in the squad," Mourinho said, as quoted by Roma's official website.

"He has not trained this week with the team, he's been training alone because those are the current rules. But he has played pre-season at Chelsea, he's played in some decent games with them and I think he's physically ready to play.

"It's been a tough week for him, though, with all the travelling and the medical tests and the paperwork that has had to be signed. But he will be with us. We have three forwards: Borja [Mayoral], him, Eldor [Shomurodov]. I am delighted to have them."

Mourinho made a cutting remark ahead of the Trabzonspor game by complimenting the work of the Turkish club's ground staff and suggesting on Instagram that those responsible for the state of Roma's own pitch were on holiday.

Returning to the issue on Saturday, Mourinho said: "In England the climate helps a lot with the quality of the pitches, and that is true in other aspects too – so it is a little difficult to compare England with other places.

"The pitch was not good last week, and I have my doubts about whether it will be great tomorrow – but I have confidence in the professionalism and pride of those whose job it is to work on it.

"For sure, the week after, when Lazio play at home, the pitch will be in even better condition for them.

"So, there should be a bit of pressure applied from everyone, not just from my Instagram – which is a bit of a mean Instagram where I have no filter. I think something, and I just post it. No-one can control me.

"With a little pressure from us all we can make the fields at a better level. When I look at the level of the coaches who are in Serie A and others who are no longer there like Conte, Gattuso and Ranieri, I think we all want quality football and therefore we also need quality pitches."

Related items

  • Premier League and Championship clubs given green light over safe standing areas Premier League and Championship clubs given green light over safe standing areas

    Premier League and Championship clubs have been given the green light to introduce safe standing areas from the start of the 2022-23 campaign.

    The announcement by the United Kingdom government on Monday came on the back of a successful 'early adopters' pilot study during the second half of last season.

    Chelsea, Manchester City, Manchester United, Tottenham and Cardiff City took part, with Brentford, QPR and Wolves set to join them in offering standing in designated seated areas for home and away fans.

    Other teams can apply to operate licensed safe standing areas, while Wembley will also offer limited safe standing for supporters at domestic matches later in the upcoming season.

    "Thanks to a robust trial, thorough evidence and modern engineering, we are now ready to allow standing once again in our grounds," said culture secretary Nadine Dorries.

    "We are not reintroducing terraces and only clubs which meet strict safety criteria will be permitted."

    A report from the Sports Ground Safety Authority (SGSA) released on Monday found that standing areas in the trial run delivered a positive impact on fan safety.

    SGSA chief executive Martyn Henderson said: "We welcome the controlled return of standing for the modern era, which has been made possible by a very close collaboration with the government.

    "This is a historic moment for football – and, most importantly, for the fans who have campaigned for this change and will be safer as a result of today's decision."

  • Moutinho commits to Wolves with new one-year deal Moutinho commits to Wolves with new one-year deal

    Joao Moutinho has signed a new deal to stay on as a Wolves player for the 2022-23 campaign.

    The Portugal international had become a free agent on July 1 when his previous contract at Molineux expired.

    He had been tipped to join a new club, but Wolves confirmed on their official website on Monday that the 35-year-old has agreed a new one-year deal.

    Talks over fresh terms had dragged on as Moutinho was reportedly holding out for a two-year extension, but Wolves director Scott Sellars is pleased an agreement was reached.

    "In Joao's time at the club, he's been vital, bringing real experience and quality to the group, so to get him re-signed is a massive boost for us," Sellars said.

    "With contracts, it's about getting to a place where everybody's happy, the club and the player, and it isn't always easy.

    "But in the end what matters is the outcome and we're very happy with it.

    "He's a huge influence in the dressing room, with the younger players, and sets standards that they follow."

    Moutinho is heading into his fifth season as a Wolves player and has already chalked up 176 appearances for the Premier League side, 39 of those coming last season.

  • Barcelona complete signing of Kessie following Milan departure Barcelona complete signing of Kessie following Milan departure

    Barcelona have confirmed the signing of Franck Kessie on a free transfer following the end of his spell with Milan.

    The midfielder has agreed a four-year deal with the Blaugrana, which was made official on Monday following months of speculation.

    Kessie spent five seasons at San Siro, the first two of those on loan, and helped Milan to their first Scudetto triumph in 11 years in his final campaign with the club.

    He played in 31 of Milan's 38 Serie A matches and scored six goals from midfield, a tally only bettered by Zlatan Ibrahimovic (eight), Rafael Leao and Olivier Giroud (both 11).

    However, fresh terms could not be agreed between the Rossoneri and Kessie, meaning the Ivory Coast international became a free agent on July 1.

    Barca were always considered the strong favourites to land the 25-year-old, whose Camp Nou contract contains a €500million release clause.

     

    Kessie will compete with the likes of Sergio Busquets, Pedri, Gavi and Frenkie de Jong for a midfield spot, though the latter is expected to join Manchester United.

    In all, Kessie played 174 Serie A games for Milan since initially joining from Atalanta in June 2017, with Napoli's Piotr Zielinski (179) the only midfielder to feature more times.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.