Dortmund's Meunier and Brandt test positive for COVID-19

By Sports Desk August 03, 2021

Borussia Dortmund suffered a pre-season setback as both Thomas Meunier and Julian Brandt tested positive for coronavirus on Tuesday.

Dortmund had been due to hold a public training session to showcase their squad, bolstered by the signings of Donyell Malen and Gregor Kobel, though they had to postpone due to positive tests among the first-team group.

The club initially announced Meunier's COVID-19 results with a statement, before releasing details of Brandt's test on Twitter as they communicated the cancellation of the open training session.

The statement concerning Meunier on the official website said: "Borussia Dortmund defender Thomas Meunier has tested positive for coronavirus. The Belgium international took two tests prior to the training camp in Switzerland and an additional test before departing from Bad Ragaz. All of those tests came back negative. 

"Having had several days off, the player has now tested positive before commencing training this week. Thomas Meunier has since been in isolation. We hope that Thomas' symptoms are as mild as possible and that he gets well soon."

Later on Tuesday, Dortmund's official Twitter account posted the news that Brandt, too, had tested positive.

Marco Rose's new side finished third in Bundesliga last term, with a late push securing Champions League football for the 2021-22 campaign.

The German side failed to keep hold of Jadon Sancho, who moved to Manchester United in the transfer window, though they do still have Erling Haaland to call upon for the new season.

Dortmund get their Bundesliga campaign underway against Eintracht Frankfurt on August 14 before facing Bayern Munich in the DFL-Supercup three days later.

Related items

  • Di Maria can emulate Madrid stars Benzema and Modric at Juventus, claims Casillas Di Maria can emulate Madrid stars Benzema and Modric at Juventus, claims Casillas

    Angel Di Maria would be a great signing for Juventus who can emulate former Real Madrid team-mates Karim Benzema and Luka Modric by playing at an elite level in his mid-30s.

    That is the view of Iker Casillas, who played alongside Di Maria when Madrid won their 10th Champions League title in 2013-14.

    Casillas feels the Argentine will be keen to feature regularly for the Bianconeri to cement his place at what could be his fourth World Cup later this year.

    Di Maria is departing Paris Saint-Germain on a free transfer after spending seven years in Ligue 1, and is widely expected to join Massimiliano Allegri's Juventus in the coming days.

    The 34-year-old's agent revealed this week that only the "final details" of his contract in Turin remain outstanding, and Casillas believes his former team-mate will thrive in Italy.

    "Di Maria is a great move," the 2010 World Cup winner told La Gazzetta dello Sport. 

    "Angel with [Federico] Chiesa, [Dusan] Vlahovic and [Paul] Pogba... what a great team! And he will want to prepare well for the World Cup.

    "He is a very cautious guy who has always taken great care of himself physically. He has never suffered serious injuries. I think he is in great shape. 

    "Here in Europe, he has always played at a high level, in big clubs. Di Maria will give Juve a new step.

    "There is a World Cup in November and it is clear that he is looking for a team where he can play regularly and prepare in the best possible way for the challenge in Qatar.

    "Even at 34 years old he is a great player. Age counts only relatively now, careers have lengthened. 

    "Without reaching the 44 years of my friend [Gianluigi] Buffon, there are other examples of players over 30 who are doing very well and playing to the fullest level. You just have to think about Benzema and Modric."

    Di Maria won six trophies during a four-year spell with Madrid, which he ended in spectacular fashion with a man-of-the-match performance in Los Blancos' Champions League final win over Atletico Madrid in 2014.

    Recalling Di Maria's performance as a central midfielder in that 2014 match, Casillas argued his versatility would be a great asset for Juve.

    "Juventus bets on a player who knows how to do a lot of things in different areas of the pitch," he added. 

    "When we won 'the Decima', [Carlo] Ancelotti changed his position in the middle of the season and he played very well.

    "He can play both up front and in the centre of the field, he is an intelligent guy who knows football well. Angel has impressive shots and can decide games by himself."

  • French minister Darmanin apologises to Liverpool fans after Champions League final chaos French minister Darmanin apologises to Liverpool fans after Champions League final chaos

    Liverpool fans have received an apology from France's interior minister Gerald Darmanin, after he initially blamed Reds supporters for chaos at the Champions League final.

    The European showpiece in Paris was twice delayed for what UEFA initially described as "security reasons" outside the Stade de France due to crowd congestion.

    Real Madrid went on to lift the trophy by defeating Liverpool 1-0 after the match started 36 minutes late at 21:36 local time, but it was events outside the ground that dominated the headlines.

    Initially, France's government insisted that between 30,000 and 40,000 fans had arrived without valid tickets.

    However, Paris police chief Didier Lallement, along with some of Emmanuel Macron's political opponents, questioned those figures.

    Earlier this month, Lallement apologised to Liverpool fans for the use of tear gas and the heavy-handed policing they were subjected to.

    UEFA also issued a formal apology and on Tuesday, a month on from the match, Darmanin admitted at least part of the responsibility lies with the French authorities.

    "Should things have been managed better at the Stade de France? The answer is yes," Darmanin told RTL radio.

    "Am I partly responsible? The answer is yes. Of course, I readily apologise to everyone who suffered from this bad management of the event."

  • Newcastle reveal third kit featuring similar colour scheme to Saudi Arabia's national team Newcastle reveal third kit featuring similar colour scheme to Saudi Arabia's national team

    Newcastle United have launched their third kit for the 2022-23 season, with the strip bearing a significant resemblance to that worn by Saudi Arabia's national team.

    The Magpies' alternate kit uses a base colour of white but then has green trim, with the neckline, badges and main sponsor all appearing in the secondary colour.

    Saudi Arabia's national team wear a home kit comprising very similar characteristics.

    The club were purchased last October by a consortium that included Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund (PIF), which became the majority shareholder.

    The Premier League received "assurances" there was no Saudi-state involvement in Newcastle, even though the country's crown prince Mohammed bin Salman – also known as 'MBS' – is the PIF's chairman.

    Saudi Arabia's human rights record led to many urging authorities to block the purchase, with it seen by critics as a classic case of "sportswashing", but the deal went through regardless.

    Images of the new kit were leaked in May and saw Newcastle attract significant criticism, bringing about fresh questions about the detachment of Newcastle and the Saudi state.

    However, the criticism and backlash seemingly did not put the club off releasing the strip anyway and Newcastle's official statement features no reference to the controversial likeness.

    It is not the first time Newcastle have worn green, having done so as recently as 2019-20. It also featured on their third jersey in 2014-15.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.