Rashford issues pre-emptive statement regarding charitable motives: 'Why can't we just do the right thing?'

By Sports Desk July 20, 2021

Marcus Rashford has taken action to pre-empt questions over the motives behind his charitable efforts ahead of the publication of a story alleging he has commercially benefited in the past 18 months.

Manchester United and England striker Rashford became involved in FareShare's drive for donations, food and volunteers during the coronavirus pandemic in 2020.

As a kid, Rashford's family relied on free school meals and he subsequently used his status and profile to help FareShare distribute the equivalent of over 21 million meals for British children and families who would otherwise struggle.

Rashford's work then helped bring about a U-turn by the United Kingdom's Conservative government over the extension of free school meals for the summer holidays, ensuring 1.3 million vulnerable children would continue to have access to food when they otherwise may not.

The success of Rashford's campaigning has seen him link up with various other companies in their charitable ventures, though the 23-year-old seemingly caught wind of a story that is set to be run by British political and current affairs magazine, The Spectator.

Rashford claimed the publication – which counts current UK prime minister Boris Johnson among its former editors – is going to address "how I have benefitted commercially in the last 18 months".

Getting out in front of the story, Rashford tweeted: "To clarify, I don't need to partner with brands. I partner because I want to progress the work I do off the pitch and most of any fee I would receive contributes to that.

"Last summer, 1.3m children had access to food support, through my relationship with [the fashion brand] Burberry children have a safe place to be after school where they will be fed, following the November investment vulnerable children have safe places to go this summer holiday, and due to my relationship with [publishing company] Macmillan 80,000 children now have a book to call their own.

"Do I have a larger commercial appeal following the U-turns? I'm sure, but I'm also a Manchester United and England international footballer.

"Why has there always got to be a motive? Why can't we just do the right thing?"

Finally, he added: "I actually enjoy reading bits from The Spectator now and again, but this is just a non-starter."

Related items

  • Brighton sign midfielder Ayari amid Caicedo speculation Brighton sign midfielder Ayari amid Caicedo speculation

    Brighton and Hove Albion have completed the signing of Yasin Ayari as speculation over Moises Caicedo's future continues.

    Ayari, a Sweden international who plays in central midfield, has signed a four-and-a-half-year deal at Brighton after joining from AIK.

    The 19-year-old has reportedly cost Brighton £5.2million (€6m).

    "Yasin is a versatile and technical midfield player, who is good on the ball and capable of playing across the midfield," said Brighton's sporting director David Weir.

    "He's had an impressive spell in Sweden with AIK, and we are delighted to have completed his transfer and to be welcoming him to the club.

    "He will need time to settle here and acclimatise to the Premier League, but we are really looking forward to working with him."

    While Ayari is viewed as one for the future, he may be required to step up to the first team ahead of schedule should Caicedo have his wish to leave Brighton granted in the final days of the transfer window.

    Caicedo has told Brighton he wishes to leave, with league leaders Arsenal having submitted a bid, reported to be £60m, last week.

    The Ecuador international posted an open message to Brighton on Friday, saying he was "proud to be able to bring in a record transfer fee for Brighton which would allow them to reinvest it and help the club continue to be successful".

    Caicedo was not involved in Brighton's 2-1 FA Cup win against Liverpool on Sunday, and Arsenal are said to have lodged a new offer worth £70m.

    Brighton have already sold one of their stars to the Gunners this month, with Leandro Trossard having joined Mikel Arteta's side.

  • Wolves sign Copa Libertadores-winning midfielder Gomes from Flamengo Wolves sign Copa Libertadores-winning midfielder Gomes from Flamengo

    Wolves have completed the signing of Flamengo's Copa Libertadores winner Joao Gomes, making the highly rated midfielder their sixth addition of the transfer window.

    Gomes has signed a five-and-a-half-year contract with Julen Lopetegui's men, having reportedly rejected interest from Lyon in order to join the Premier League side in a £15million ($18.5m) deal.

    Reports claimed Flamengo were refusing to deal with Wolves after receiving a more lucrative offer from the Ligue 1 club earlier this month, delaying his departure.

    But the 21-year-old, who started as Flamengo beat Athletico Paranaense to win their third Libertadores crown in October's final, has joined Matheus Cunha, Pablo Sarabia, Mario Lemina, Craig Dawson and Daniel Bentley in moving to Molineux this month.

    Wolves sporting director Matt Hobbs said: "It's been well publicised that we thought we had a deal sorted a couple of weeks ago, but what's got the deal done has been the player. 

    "He's turned down a more lucrative offer at another club because he always said he gave his word, he always wanted to come to Wolves since talking to Julen and I, so he's kept his word and stayed strong."

    Gomes will now miss out on a potential meeting with Real Madrid after helping Flamengo reach next month's Club World Cup, and could instead make his Premier League debut against Liverpool on Saturday.  

  • Dyche replaces Lampard at struggling Everton Dyche replaces Lampard at struggling Everton

    Sean Dyche is the manager Everton have turned to as they aim to stave off relegation from the Premier League.

    Everton sacked Frank Lampard last Monday following a 2-0 defeat at West Ham – the Toffees' eighth defeat in the space of nine games.

    The last time Everton won a competitive match was on October 22 last year, and they find themselves in 19th place, level on points with Southampton, who are bottom only due to goal difference.

    Dyche was reportedly the Merseyside club's second choice, with owner Farhad Moshiri wanting to appoint former Leeds United manager Marcelo Bielsa, who held talks with the club's hierarchy in London on Thursday.

    However, Bielsa is said to have been hesitant to join Everton in mid-season, and reports have claimed the Argentine instead suggested he would take over the club's under-21s side, with a view to managing the first team following the end of the campaign.

    With survival Everton's priority, Dyche has been handed the job on a two-and-a-half-year deal.

    Speaking to the club's media, Dyche said: "It's an honour to become Everton manager. My staff and I are ready and eager to help get this great club back on track.

    "I know about Everton's passionate fanbase and how precious this club is to them. We're ready to work and ready to give them what they want.

    "That starts with sweat on the shirt, effort and getting back to some of the basic principles of what Everton Football Club has stood for for a long time... There is quality in this squad. But we have to make them shine. That's the job of me and my staff."

    Dyche was sacked by Burnley in April last year, after 10 years in charge of the Clarets.

    His last win at Burnley came against Lampard's Everton, and although his temporary replacement Michael Jackson had a good start, taking 10 points from a possible 12, he was unable to keep the Clarets in the division.

    Everton stayed up thanks to a 3-2 comeback win over Crystal Palace but have won just three top-flight games this campaign, having struggled for goals following Richarlison's move to Tottenham and Dominic Calvert-Lewin's injury issues.

    Dyche is reuniting with two of his Burnley regulars in the form of James Tarkowski and Dwight McNeil, while he should have funds to spend in the final days of the January transfer window following the sale of Anthony Gordon to Newcastle United in a deal reportedly worth up to £45million.

    The former Watford manager gained promotion with Burnley in 2014, and though they went straight back down, he took them back up to the top tier in 2016.

    He established Burnley as steady competitors for the best part of six years, even qualifying for Europe in the 2017-18 campaign, and now will be tasked with maintaining Everton's long top-flight status.

    Dyche took charge of 258 Premier League games at Burnley, winning 72 (27.9 per cent) and averaging 1.1 points per game.

    His first game at the helm of Everton will come at home against league leaders Arsenal on February 4, with a Merseyside derby at Anfield following nine days later.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.