Rumour Has It: Real Madrid and Barca eyeing Man City's Laporte, Conte to Spurs off

By Sports Desk June 05, 2021

Is Aymeric Laporte's future away from Manchester City?

Laporte hit the ground running in Manchester, but Pep Guardiola has since preferred John Stones and Ruben Dias.

Real Madrid and Barcelona are reportedly willing to pounce.

 

TOP STORY – LAPORTE HEADED FOR SPAIN RETURN?

LaLiga pair Real Madrid and Barcelona are tracking Manchester City defender Aymeric Laporte , according to Caught Offside.

Laporte left Spanish outfit Athletic Bilbao for City in 2018 but the newly capped Spain international slipped down the pecking order during the 2020-21 campaign.

As City reportedly prepare a new long-term contract for John Stones , who has been preferred alongside Ruben Dias, Madrid and Barca are waiting in the wings.

 

ROUND-UP

-  Tottenham have abandoned their plans to appoint former Inter boss Antonio Conte , reports Sky Italy. Spurs and Conte were in negotiations and while ex-Juventus sporting director Fabio Paratici is poised to join the Premier League side, Conte will not reunite with his Italian compatriot. Tottenham were initially linked with former manager Mauricio Pochettino , who is currently in charge of Paris Saint-Germain. Amid ongoing speculation, Le10 Sport claims a sensational deal to bring Pochettino back to London could go ahead.

- PSG  are trying to hijack Barcelona 's move for Georginio Wijnaldum , says ESPN. Wijnaldum is available on a free transfer following the expiration of his Liverpool contract and he has been tipped to make the switch to Camp Nou.

- Mundo Deportivo reports Valencia captain Jose Luis Gaya is the on the radar for Barca , who are eyeing a new left-back.

- Gazzetto dello Sport reports  Juventus  are interested in Fiorentina defender  Nikola Milenkovic . Fiorentina could be willing to sell the Serbia international, who is out of contract in 2022. Milenkovic has previously been linked with  Tottenham Manchester United  and  West Ham Milan  could also make a move if they fail to tie up a permanent deal for Chelsea's  Fikayo Tomori .

Dusan Vlahovic  of Fiorentina, Marseille's  Arkadiusz Milik and Sassuolo's Gianluca Scamacca  are among the possible new forward signings for  Milan , says Gazzetta dello Sport. Chelsea veteran Olivier Giroud has been strongly linked with Milan.

- Marca claims  Gareth Bale  is leaning towards retirement after Euro 2020. Bale is set to return to Real Madrid following his loan spell at Tottenham.

- New Inter boss  Simone Inzaghi  wants to keep  Alexis Sanchez , per Calciomercato. As Inter look to cut costs, Sanchez has been linked with  Roma Romelu Lukaku Lautaro Martinez  and  Alessandro Bastoni  and their futures have also been questioned due to the club's financial issues.

Related items

  • Luis Enrique offers Kylian Mbappe no guarantees of Champions League playing time Luis Enrique offers Kylian Mbappe no guarantees of Champions League playing time

    Paris St Germain boss Luis Enrique has offered Kylian Mbappe no guarantees about his playing time in the Champions League.

    The reported wantaway striker was taken off at half-time during PSG’s goalless draw with Monaco on Friday, having been substituted just over an hour into the draw against Rennes a week earlier.

    Asked what he expected from Mbappe in their second leg at Real Sociedad on Tuesday night, Enrique told a press conference: “I expect my team to be up to the level of the game and to approach it in the way we have throughout the season.

    “I can see that the team is full of confidence and we have a clear target, which is to try to win the game.

    “We want to beat Real Sociedad away from  home, but it will certainly be very tough.”

    PSG lead 2-0 from the first leg and Enrique added: “It is an attractive position to be in and we have the desire to be in this competition.”

    Enrique confirmed that full-back Nuno Mendes was fit to start following his lengthy injury absence.

    Real Sociedad coach Imanol Alguacil knows his side face a tough task to overturn the two-goal deficit, but is hopeful they can spring a surprise.

    “I will ask the team to show personality, just like in Paris. We made it clear over there that we are capable,” he said.

    “For our part, we will do everything we can to achieve it. I want the best atmosphere, both on and off the pitch. It won’t be easy, but we are full of hope. The important thing is to compete and to stay alive.”

  • Gareth Taylor ‘very happy’ to commit future to Manchester City Gareth Taylor ‘very happy’ to commit future to Manchester City

    Manchester City boss Gareth Taylor has signed a new contract with the Women’s Super League outfit running to 2027.

    The 51-year-old has been in charge at City since May 2020 and oversaw the team winning the delayed 2019-20 FA Cup final six months later and the League Cup in 2022.

    The news of Taylor’s three-year extension comes with City currently lying second in the WSL, level on points with leaders Chelsea, and on a nine-match winning run.

    He said in a statement from the club: “I’m very happy to be able to commit to City for another three seasons.

    “I think what we’re doing here and trying to achieve is a build and a long-term project of sustainability and success.

    “Our ambition was always to be right at the top and we’ve done that. It’s taken a lot of hard work from a lot of people behind the scenes. The players have really bought in to what we’re trying to do and achieve.”

    City, whose only WSL title to date came in 2016, have bounced back this season after missing out on the Champions League places with a fourth-placed finish last term. They came second in 2020-21 and third in 2021-22.

  • Poll suggests nearly two-thirds of UK fans now back European Super League Poll suggests nearly two-thirds of UK fans now back European Super League

    Almost two-thirds of UK football fans are in favour of the creation of a European Super League, according to new research commissioned by the competition’s promoters.

    Sixty-five per cent of 835 UK fans polled by French company Opinion Way were in favour or somewhat in favour of the new format put forward in December 2023, with support especially high among Manchester City and Chelsea supporters – 85 and 81 per cent respectively.

    English football supporters took to the streets to protest against the creation of the original ESL in April 2021, which collapsed within 72 hours of its launch.

    However, A22 says the new research shows “substantial support” for the new formats it presented just before Christmas for a 64-team men’s competition and a 32-team women’s event.

    Overall, the survey canvassed the views of 6,458 fans aged 15 and over across eight countries – France, Germany, Spain, Italy, the Netherlands, Belgium and Portugal, as well as the UK.

    Football fans were defined as “people reporting to be fairly or very interested in football”.

    Across the whole group, 72 per cent were in favour or somewhat in favour of the new formats. Support was higher among the younger age groups, with 86 per cent of the 956-strong group aged 15 to 24 in favour.

    The survey also looked at the responses according to the clubs the 835 UK fans said they supported; 509 fans said they were supporters of ‘Big Six’ clubs, all of whom signed up to the original Super League in 2021.

    Of the 75 City supporters surveyed, 85 per cent supported the new ESL proposal and 81 per cent of the 63 Chelsea supporters were in favour.

    The lowest level of support among ‘Big Six’ clubs was at Tottenham, where 55 per cent of the 54 fans surveyed were in favour.

    Under the new-look Super League, just 20 teams would be able to qualify for the third-tier ‘Blue League’ via domestic competition each season.

    “We have evidence that the desire for a European Super League as a much more exciting alternative to the current European club football competition is stronger than ever,” A22 chief executive Bernd Reichart said.

    Reichart said talks with clubs had “intensified” since December’s European Court of Justice ruling and that A22 had received “positive feedback” about its plans, giving it “great confidence that we are on the right track”.

    The ECJ’s Grand Chamber found UEFA prior authorisation rules which blocked the formation of the Super League in 2021 were contrary to European Union law.

    UEFA introduced new rules in 2022 in consultation with the European Commission. European football’s governing body said it would fully review those rules in light of the ECJ ruling.

    UEFA is changing the format of its three main men’s club competitions for next season, while a new Women’s Champions League format kicks off in 2025-26.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.