Mancini wants bigger Euro 2020 squads as he aims to match Lippi's World Cup feat

By Sports Desk March 31, 2021

Roberto Mancini has set his sights on World Cup glory with Italy, though his first aim may well be to push for enlarged squads at Euro 2020.

Italy made it three wins from three to start their World Cup 2022 qualification campaign by seeing off Lithuania by the now familiar scoreline of 2-0. 

Goals from Stefano Sensi and Ciro Immobile bookended the second half on Wednesday, as Italy took a three-point lead in Group C.

The Azzurri have won their last five matches 2-0, and are unbeaten in 25 games under Mancini, which brings him level with Marcelo Lippi's best haul – only Vittorio Pozzo (30) has managed a better such streak.

Lippi guided Italy to a 2006 World Cup success, and Mancini did not shy away from wanting to emulate one of his predecessors.

"I'm happy we are top of the group, it's pleasing, but records are standalone issues compared to real results," he told reporters.

"I hope to match Lippi at the World Cup, maybe in December 2022."

With three qualifying wins under their belt, Italy's focus will now switch to the upcoming Euros, rearranged from last year.

Mancini picked a 38-man squad for this latest round of internationals, and suggested it would be prudent for UEFA to accommodate larger squads than the usual 23 at this year's tournament. 

"I think it could be a good idea to be able to name bigger squads for Euro 2020," Mancini said.

"I think it could be the right thing to do. The problem would above all be if a couple of players had problems in the tournament, as it's difficult to call them back after that, when players are on vacation."

Italy recorded 29 shots against Lithuania, with 11 of them on target – the excellent Tomas Svedkauskas pulling off nine saves.

Immobile, who scored from the spot with the last kick of the game, was particularly wasteful, sending a close-range header wide after seeing two efforts saved by Svedkauskas.

The 31-year-old Lazio forward has scored eight goals in World Cup qualifiers, the joint-third most in Italy's history – along with Daniele De Rossi – and Mancini believes fatigue played a big part in Immobile's profligate display.

"Ciro gave everything he could today," Mancini added. "The players aren't in the best shape right now, they are lacking sharpness, but the goals will come more consistently for him."

Related items

  • South Africa dominate rain-affected first day at Lord's South Africa dominate rain-affected first day at Lord's

    South Africa took control on a rain-affected opening day of the first Test against England as their pace attack fired at Lord's.

    Just 32 overs were possible on Wednesday, yet there was enough time for the Proteas to reduce Ben Stokes' side to 116-6.

    Anrich Nortje claimed 3-43 and the fit-again Kagiso Rabada took 2-36 in a ruthless display from the fast bowlers before the heavens opened in London.

    Under-pressure opener Zak Crawley fell for only nine, with Alex Lees the first man to depart for five as Rabada struck twice early on his return from injury.

    Joe Root was unable to provide any respite as he departed leg before to Marco Jansen (1-18) before Jonny Bairstow was clean bowled for a duck by Nortje.

    Stokes (20) and Ollie Pope (61 not out) added 45 runs for the fifth wicket, but the captain was squared up by Nortje's final ball of the morning session and caught at third slip by Keegan Petersen.

    Having lost five wickets prior to lunch, Ben Foakes became Nortje's third victim when he was cleaned up by a ripper and rain forced the end of play two deliveries later.

    To cover the loss of overs on day one of the first Test in the three-match series, the remaining four days will now see 98 overs per day, with dry weather forecast.

     

    England blown away by Proteas pace attack

    The wicket of Foakes was Nortje's 50th in Test cricket in his 13th match, his raw pace proving far too hot for England's batters to handle.

    Rabada was also hugely impressive a dominant display from the tourists and he is now five wickets away from 250 for South Africa.

    Pope provides some hope

    England have won their past four Tests, making this their best-such run since a five-match streak in 2018, but they already have their work cut out after a poor start at Lord's.

    Pope provided the only positive with that his eighth Test half-century, though even then he had the fortune of being dropped by Peterson on 45.

  • Ronaldo cautioned by Merseyside Police over incident involving Everton fan Ronaldo cautioned by Merseyside Police over incident involving Everton fan

    Cristiano Ronaldo has been cautioned by Merseyside Police over an incident involving an Everton fan following Manchester United's defeat at Goodison Park last season.

    A video emerged on social media of United forward Ronaldo appearing to smash a supporter's phone as he left the field after the Toffees' 1-0 Premier League win in April.

    The Portugal captain issued an apology on Instagram, stating: "It's never easy to deal with emotions in difficult moments such as the one we are facing.

    "Nevertheless, we always have to be respectful, patient and set the example for all the youngsters who love the beautiful game.

    "I would like to apologise for my outburst and, if possible, I would like to invite this supporter to watch a game at Old Trafford as a sign of fair-play and sportsmanship.”

    Ronaldo has now been interviewed by police and given a caution.

    Merseyside Police said in a statement: "We can confirm that a 37-year-old man voluntarily attended and was interviewed under caution in relation to an allegation of assault and criminal damage.
     
    "The allegation relates to an incident following the Everton v Manchester United football match at Goodison Park on Saturday 9 April.
     
    "The matter has been dealt with by way of conditional caution. The matter has now concluded."

    The five-time Ballon d'Or winner could leave United before the transfer window closes on September 1, with his future the subject of constant speculation just under a year after he returned to the club.

     

  • Nianzou joins Sevilla from Bayern Munich Nianzou joins Sevilla from Bayern Munich

    Sevilla have completed the signing of defender Tanguy Nianzou from Bayern Munich for a reported fee of €20million.

    Nianzou has signed a five-year deal with the Andalusian side.

    The 20-year-old came through the youth setup at Paris Saint-Germain before moving to Bayern in July 2020.

    He made 28 appearances in all competitions for the Bundesliga giants across two seasons, scoring his only goal for the club in a 4-0 win against Union Berlin in March.

    Nianzou is the fourth arrival of the transfer window for Sevilla, joining Marcao, Isco and Alex Telles as head coach Julen Lopetegui looks to mount a challenge in LaLiga and the Champions League.

    He could make his debut in Friday's LaLiga clash with Real Valladolid. 

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.