Rangnick targeting defensive improvements to succeed with Man Utd

By Sports Desk December 10, 2021

Ralf Rangnick has earmarked improving the defence at Manchester United as the main priority for success at Old Trafford.

The former RB Leipzig head coach has overseen two games since his arrival in Manchester, winning his first against Crystal Palace – becoming the first of six German managers to win their opening Premier League game – before a 1-1 draw against Young Boys.

While Rangnick fielded a youthful side against the Swiss team, United have now failed to keep a clean sheet in their last five home group-stage matches – their longest run in the Champions League.

United also went 15 consecutive home matches without a clean sheet, their longest run without a shutout since a 21-game spell between 1958 and 1959, before keeping Palace at bay in the 1-0 win last Sunday.

That poor period of defensive form has left them 11 points off the early pace of leaders Manchester City and Rangnick explained that he is prioritising finding a solution to be more resolute at the back.

"So far, I'm more than happy with their attitude again and their eagerness to learn information that will help them get better, not only against the ball but also with the ball," Rangnick told Sky Sports on Friday.

"We had only two clean sheets until the Crystal Palace game and no clean sheets since last April at Old Trafford, it was very clear for me where our focus should be for the first few days and weeks.

"With this group of players we can produce more clean sheets regularly, we are making sure we don't concede goals or even allow them to shoot on our goal.

"The more we do that, the more I am convinced that we can win games because with this group and players we are always going to create chances and opportunities to score ourselves."

United travel to Norwich City on Saturday in Rangnick's first away Premier League fixture, with none of the last four permanent Red Devils managers losing their maiden such game since Alex Ferguson in 1986.

New Norwich head coach Dean Smith is looking to become the first manager since Andy Aitken in 1908-09 to defeat United with two different clubs in a single season, having already tasted victory with former club Aston Villa.

But Smith has revealed the club are waiting anxiously on coronavirus tests for a couple of players ahead of the game at Carrow Road.

"We have got a couple of knocks and have got a couple of Covid-related issues that we are waiting on results for," said Smith.

"I can't really let you in on any names, but there's a couple of players who we are worried about, so we have tested and we will wait for the PCR results.

"They are just feeling a little bit unwell, but it is not likely to be linked to the game last week with Tottenham."

Related items

  • Luton celebrate landmark Premier League win to turn up heat on Everton Luton celebrate landmark Premier League win to turn up heat on Everton

    Luton claimed their first ever Premier League win with a 2-1 victory at Goodison Park as Everton’s positive vibes drained away in the Merseyside drizzle.

    Representatives from the Toffees’ prospective new owners 777 Partners were in attendance after back-to-back wins over Brentford and Aston Villa had fostered hopes of brighter days ahead.

    But set-piece goals from Tom Lockyer and Carlton Morris put Luton two up and, although Dominic Calvert-Lewin pulled one back before half-time, the Toffees could not find an equaliser.

    Instead it was a landmark day for Luton, who celebrated their first top-flight victory since a 2-0 success against Aston Villa in April 1992.

    Everton began the match very much on the front foot but, as with previous games at Goodison this season, they could not turn chances into goals, or even trouble Thomas Kaminski.

    Dwight McNeil had the first opening in the third minute, volleying just past a post after a defensive slip, while James Garner, Idrissa Gueye and Amadou Onana all put their efforts wide and Calvert-Lewin, back in the starting line-up after goals in successive matches, headed straight at the keeper.

    Luton’s only opening had been a shot from Marvelous Nakamba that flew high and wide, but they looked dangerous from set-pieces and Lockyer gave notice of his threat by finding space in the middle of the box from a corner and heading just over the bar.

    And it was the Luton captain who made the breakthrough from another corner in the 24th minute.

    Morris’ powerful header hit the bar and rebounded off Jordan Pickford, Ashley Young was too slow in trying to clear the ball and Lockyer got in the way to divert it into an empty net.

    The optimism around Goodison Park rapidly drained away and things got worse in the 31st minute when Morris was given space at the back post to meet Alfie Doughty’s free-kick and send a crisp volley flying into the far corner.

    Everton should have pulled one back six minutes later when McNeil’s well-judged cross found Garner unmarked six yards out, but his header hit the angle of post and bar.

    Four minutes later they did manage to put the ball in the back of the net and it was eventually given after a three-minute VAR check.

    Garner’s ball in found Onana, who appeared to be having his shirt pulled by Reece Burke as he scrambled a shot, which was blocked by Kaminski.

    With Everton fans screaming for a penalty, the ball squirmed away from the keeper and Abdoulaye Doucoure teed up Calvert-Lewin, who was eventually deemed to be just onside, for the simplest of finishes.

    Luton dug in to preserve their lead until half-time and both teams made changes for the second half, Jack Harrison replacing Gueye for his league debut for Everton and Mads Andersen coming on for Burke.

    The Hatters then lost captain Lockyer to injury, with Teden Mengi coming on in his place.

    There was a big cheer when Beto was introduced for Everton, who could manage little more than lofting hopeful balls into the box as they sought the equaliser.

    Luton had the ball in the net again with 63 minutes gone but Morris was denied his second by an offside flag.

    Everton slowly began to ramp up the pressure, but Kaminski did not have a save to make in the second half, with Beto heading over from the best two openings, and boos greeted the final whistle.

  • Kai Havertz off the mark for Arsenal before Bukayo Saka goes off injured Kai Havertz off the mark for Arsenal before Bukayo Saka goes off injured

    Kai Havertz hit his first Arsenal goal as Mikel Arteta’s side eased to a comfortable victory at Bournemouth.

    The Gunners outclassed their hosts to win 4-0 and move to within striking distance of Manchester City – who visit the Emirates Stadium next weekend – but a late injury to Bukayo Saka will worry Arteta.

    Havertz has struggled to make an impact since moving across London from Chelsea in the summer but stroked home a second-half penalty, much to the joy of his team-mates and the travelling support inside the Vitality Stadium.

    Arsenal were already two goals to the good at that point, Saka breaking the deadlock with his fifth of the season, before Martin Odegaard scored from the spot with a Ben White header wrapping up the win in stoppage time.

    Arteta was able to call on a number of players who were injury doubts ahead of the trip to the south coast as William Saliba, Declan Rice and Saka all started despite missing the majority of training leading into the game.

    Saka, though, hobbled off for the second game in succession having injured a foot against Tottenham in last weekend’s north London derby draw.

    Bournemouth are still without a league win under head coach Andoni Iraola, who very much came off second best in the battle against childhood friend Arteta.

    Arsenal were on the front foot from the off as Havertz saw a shot deflected behind off Illia Zabarnyi and behind for a corner.

    Saka duly put them ahead soon after, nodding into an empty goal after Gabriel Jesus’ header came back off the post and into the path of the England winger.

    Oleksandr Zinchenko stung the palms of Neto with the visitors in search of a second goal, which arrived from the penalty spot after Max Aarons felled Eddie Nketiah.

    Saka initially stepped up, only to give the ball to his captain with Odegaard dispatching the spot-kick to widen the gap before the break.

    Bournemouth continued to cause their own problems as a poor challenge from Ryan Christie on Odegaard led to Michael Salisbury pointing to the spot for a second time.

    Saka, again, collected the ball but this time ceded responsibility to Havertz, without a goal or assist in his first nine Arsenal appearances.

    He coolly slotted home before being mobbed by his team-mates as his name rang out from the away section with the points all-but secured.

    The only sour note of the afternoon for Arsenal came when Saka hit the deck in pain after a coming together with Milos Kerkez.

    He limped on for a couple of minutes before being replaced by Fabio Vieira with Arsenal adding another goal late on through White.

  • Impressive West Brom emphatically end Preston unbeaten record Impressive West Brom emphatically end Preston unbeaten record

    Preston’s unbeaten Sky Bet Championship record was emphatically ended as they lost 4-0 at home to West Brom.

    After six wins and two draws, North End were comprehensively dispatched by the impressive Baggies.

    Goals from Darnell Furlong, Alex Mowatt, Matt Phillips and Kyle Bartley gave West Brom a third win of the season, lifting them to within three points of the play-off places.

    With rain lashing down on the lush Deepdale surface, the Baggies took just four minutes to open the scoring. Phillips touched the ball tidily to Furlong, and he drilled home superbly first-time from 22 yards.

    It was a timely early boost for Carlos Corberan’s men, one which gave them a spring in their step.

    Centre-back Cedric Kipre was next to threaten when his close-range effort was bravely blocked by Brad Potts.

    Preston were uncharacteristically poor in possession, and the visitors could have punished them again, only for Erik Pieters to volley wildly over the top from a promising position.

    As the hosts were finally finding some rhythm, a howler from Jordan Storey cost them a second goal just before the half-hour mark.

    The defender was far too casual trying to bypass Mowatt, losing the ball easily as the Baggies’ midfielder went on to coolly beat a stunned Freddie Woodman from eight yards.

    Nothing was going Preston’s way, with West Brom patiently probing for another opening.

    They came close when skipper Jed Wallace’s strike was deflected wide, while Okay Yokuslu planted a free header woefully off target in first-half added time.

    The Baggies were straight on the attack at the start of the second period when Mowatt flung in a terrific cross for Grady Diangana, but he scooped a shot disappointingly over.

    Diangana was then thwarted by an assistant referee’s flag as West Brom thought they had grabbed a third goal.

    Like the rain, the Baggies’ forward play was persistent, and next to go close was Phillips, who curled a sweet strike just past the far post.

    West Brom finally got a third goal – rather fortuitously – in the 62nd minute as Phillips fired home via a wicked deflection off Storey from 15 yards.

    That prompted many North End fans to head for the exits, with their team’s day heading from bad to worse.

    That was summed up when sub Mads Frokjaer somehow missed the target from eight yards, further compounding the home supporters’ frustration.

    Three-quarters of the stadium almost instantly emptied when Bartley converted Wallace’s cross to complete the scoring in the 87th minute.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.