We're going to need Messi - Mbappe explains giving up hat-trick penalty in PSG win over Club Brugge

By Sports Desk December 07, 2021

Kylian Mbappe said Paris Saint-Germain are "going to need Lionel Messi" as the Frenchman revealed why he gave up a chance to compete a hat-trick from the penalty spot in the 4-1 victory over Club Brugge.

Mbappe struck twice inside the opening seven minutes before setting up Messi's first goal in a scintillating first-half performance.

Despite being on a hat-trick, the 22-year-old was not the man to step up to the spot when a penalty was awarded to PSG in the second half, with Messi grabbing his second goal of the game instead.

Mbappe explained that it was more important for Messi, whose start to life in France has been mixed, to build form and confidence than it was for him to take home the match ball.

"We are going to need Lionel Messi," Mbappe said after the game. "He remains Lionel Messi. We are going to need him during the season, and I am sure he will help us when the important [games] arrive.

"He has to arrive with confidence for these matches. It is good for him that he finishes with two goals, but it is also good for us for the future."

Mbappe insisted he was more concerned with the wider welfare of the team than his own individual goals and praised his colleagues for their part in his strong showings this term. He has 11 goals and 12 assists in 22 appearances across all competitions so far.

"I'm trying to help the team," Mbappe told RMC Sport. "It's not my goal to show who the boss is. I try to help the team, and my team-mates give it back to me so that I perform well too."

PSG head coach Mauricio Pochettino gave the penalty decision his blessing, waxing lyrical about the blossoming relationships among his set of superstar players.

Pochettino said: "I'm happy that Leo and Kylian scored two goals, they are attacking players who need to know the way to the net.

"They can all take the penalty, with their quality. It is up to them to identify, at the moment, who needs it most, who is the most confident. This is something they decide for themselves on the pitch.

"You can say Leo, Kylian, Ney [Neymar], Angel [Di Maria], Marquinhos, Verratti. They can all take a penalty, but in the moment it's a matter of trust and taking responsibility.

"I believe that creating these relationships, the way they get closer, appreciate each other, respect each other, gives even more strength to their talent. But all these things take time. The seed is planted, the buds come out and in time there will be a plant, a tree and beautiful flowers."

Related items

  • Premier League player arrested on suspicion of rape Premier League player arrested on suspicion of rape

    A Premier League player has been arrested on suspicion of rape.

    The player, who is in his late twenties, cannot be named for legal reasons.

    He was arrested on Monday after a woman in her twenties reported an allegation of rape to the police.

    A Metropolitan Police spokesperson told Stats Perform: "On July 4, an allegation of rape of a woman in her 20s was reported to police.

    "It was reported the alleged rape happened in June 2022.

    "On July 4, a man was arrested at an address in Barnet on suspicion of rape and taken into custody where he remains.

    "Enquiries into the circumstances are ongoing."

  • Everton great Ferguson leaves to pursue managerial opportunities Everton great Ferguson leaves to pursue managerial opportunities

    Everton fan favourite and club great Duncan Ferguson has left Frank Lampard's coaching staff to pursue his own managerial career.

    Ferguson, who scored 73 goals in 273 appearances for Everton across two spells at the club in his playing career, has been a member of the first-team coaching staff on Merseyside since 2014.

    He has worked under Roberto Martinez, Ronald Koeman, Sam Allardyce, Marco Silva, Carlo Ancelotti, Rafael Benitez and, most recently, Lampard, with Everton unable to find stability in the Farhad Moshiri era.

    Everton just scraped to safety at the end of last season, with a 3-2 comeback win over Crystal Palace ensuring their status as a Premier League ever-present continued.

    However, financial difficulties mean another difficult off-season could be in store, with star player Richarlison having already left for Tottenham, while Dominic Calvert-Lewin is reportedly attracting interest too.

    Lampard will now have to deal with the loss of Ferguson, who twice oversaw Everton on a caretaker basis.

    Firstly, in 2019 after Silva's dismissal, Ferguson led Everton to a 3-1 win over Lampard's Chelsea, a 1-1 draw against Manchester United, a 2-2 draw with Leicester City in the EFL Cup – though the Toffees lost on penalties – and a 0-0 draw with Arsenal.

    The Scot then took over for one game after Benitez was sacked in January this year, yet Everton lost 1-0 to Aston Villa at Goodison Park.

    "It's been a massive decision for me. An incredibly difficult one but I need to move on, to take that next step in my career and look for that new challenge. Being a caretaker manager has given me confidence to step into management," he told Everton's official website.

    "It was difficult last season but this club is definitely heading in the right direction. It's a fantastic club.

    "The team is in good hands with Frank as manager. He's been first class and he wanted me to stay on. I'll be there as a supporter. My kids have got season tickets and I'll be looking forward to coming back."

  • Premier League and Championship clubs given green light over safe standing areas Premier League and Championship clubs given green light over safe standing areas

    Premier League and Championship clubs have been given the green light to introduce safe standing areas from the start of the 2022-23 campaign.

    The announcement by the United Kingdom government on Monday came on the back of a successful 'early adopters' pilot study during the second half of last season.

    Chelsea, Manchester City, Manchester United, Tottenham and Cardiff City took part, with Brentford, QPR and Wolves set to join them in offering standing in designated seated areas for home and away fans.

    Other teams can apply to operate licensed safe standing areas, while Wembley will also offer limited safe standing for supporters at domestic matches later in the upcoming season.

    "Thanks to a robust trial, thorough evidence and modern engineering, we are now ready to allow standing once again in our grounds," said culture secretary Nadine Dorries.

    "We are not reintroducing terraces and only clubs which meet strict safety criteria will be permitted."

    A report from the Sports Ground Safety Authority (SGSA) released on Monday found that standing areas in the trial run delivered a positive impact on fan safety.

    SGSA chief executive Martyn Henderson said: "We welcome the controlled return of standing for the modern era, which has been made possible by a very close collaboration with the government.

    "This is a historic moment for football – and, most importantly, for the fans who have campaigned for this change and will be safer as a result of today's decision."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.