EPL

Rangnick could put himself forward for Man Utd permanent job

By Sports Desk December 03, 2021

Ralf Rangnick has hinted he would consider staying in charge of Manchester United beyond the end of the season.

The new interim boss has been appointed to guide United through the remainder of this campaign after the sacking of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

He gave a first news conference as United boss on Friday morning and began to lay out a manifesto, while speaking of a long-held love affair with English football.

The 63-year-old accepts it will be difficult to make immediate changes because he is joining close to the halfway point in a season, and time on the training pitch between games is limited.

But the former RB Leipzig and Hoffenheim head coach feels he can make a difference at Old Trafford, and he is not ruling out the possibility of staying on for longer than is currently planned.

"The people with whom I've spoken so far, they have been very clear that we're talking about a six-and-a-half-month role as a manager currently," Rangnick said

"We have never spoken about what might happen in the summer. Right now I'm fully aware that they might be looking for a new manager.

"If they will then speak with me about that, we will see. Maybe if they ask me my opinion and everything goes well and we develop the team, I might even make the same recommendation to the board that I did at Leipzig twice, when I recommended to them that it might be a good idea to keep working with me for one year, but this is all hypothetical.

"For me now it's about winning the next games, and this is the major focus."

Rangnick was director of football at Leipzig when he put his name forward to be coach, meaning he already carried significant clout regarding such appointments.

He does not come into United with the same level of influence, and it came as a surprise when Rangnick indicated the two-year advisory role he will assume at the season's end is far from a defined position.

Asked what the position would entail, and whether he might have an influence on the club's academy, Rangnick said: "We haven't spoken about that in detail in all the conversations we have had."

Rangnick has been seen as a world-class strategist, a figure that many believe United have been crying out for given how many other clubs have such experienced figures in place.

Such discussions seem likely to occur once he has his feet under the desk, with Rangnick getting straight down to work on Friday by beginning preparations for Sunday's home game with Crystal Palace.

There have already been talks between Rangnick and co-owner Joel Glazer, and the manager revealed he has spoken to Solskjaer too.

"I spoke with Ole last Sunday before the game against Chelsea," Rangnick said.

"He was very generous to spend one and a half hours on the phone with me telling me all his inside details about the team."

Rangnick will wait for the talks about his future and United's plans to take place at a convenient time.

He has spoken to director of football John Murtough, but United are in no rush to pin down plans for the future while there is so much to focus on in the present.

"With all those people we haven't spoken about what will happen in the next two years, from next summer until summer 2024," Rangnick said. "We only spoke about the current situation and how we can find a way to work together."

He wanted Michael Carrick to stay on, but the caretaker manager walked away from United after Thursday's 3-2 win over Arsenal.

"With Michael, I got to know this two days ago," Rangnick said. "I had a long private conversation with him for more than an hour.

"I was trying to convince him to stay on board, but he'd obviously taken the decision weeks ago that he needed a break and a rest after 30 years in professional football. In the end I had to accept that, and I can also understand his decision."

Rangnick said he may bring in up to three new members of staff, possibly before the end of December. But he dampened expectation of possible transfer window arrivals, saying: "We haven't spoken about new players. Now is the time to get to know the current squad in detail.

"The squad is definitely not too small. Maybe at Christmas, after Christmas, there will be a time to speak about possible transfers in the winter.

"From my experience winter is not the best time for sustainable transfers. With this quality of players we have here, it would in theory only make sense if you really get players who can almost guarantee you more quality and this will be difficult in the winter."

Related items

  • Man City land Sergio Gomez from Anderlecht Man City land Sergio Gomez from Anderlecht

    Manchester City have confirmed the signing of full-back Sergio Gomez on a four-year deal from Anderlecht.

    The 21-year-old, formerly of Barcelona's youth set-up and Borussia Dortmund, worked with ex-City captain Vincent Kompany at the Belgian club and has joined for a reported fee of £11million.

    Gomez is City's fourth acquisition of the transfer window, following on from the captures of Kalvin Phillips, Erling Haaland and Stefan Ortega.

    "I am incredibly proud and happy to have joined Manchester City," he told the club's official website.

    "City are the best team in England and in Pep Guardiola I have a chance to learn and develop under the most outstanding manager in world football.

    "To be able to be part of this club is a dream come true for me and something any young player would aspire to.

    "The number of trophies City have won over the past few years has been incredible and the style of football the team plays under Pep is the most exciting in Europe.

    "Playing for and being guided by Pep and his coaches is going to be very special.

    "I've heard so much about the City fans and how passionate they are, so I can't wait to get started and to try and help the Club achieve even more."

    City have won their opening two Premier League fixtures against West Ham and Bournemouth, with Newcastle United next up on Sunday. 

    Our new number 21 #ManCity pic.twitter.com/5oGXj5ZdUY

    — Manchester City (@ManCity) August 16, 2022
  • Morata's agent not ruling out a move for Man Utd and Juve-linked striker Morata's agent not ruling out a move for Man Utd and Juve-linked striker

    Alvaro Morata's agent has not ruled out a move for the in-form Atletico Madrid star but declared "at the moment I say that he stays".

    The Spain international scored twice as Atleti started the LaLiga season with a 3-0 win at Getafe on the back of a hat-trick in a 4-0 friendly rout of his former club Juventus.

    Morata has been linked with Manchester United and a return to Juve, where he was on loan for the past two campaigns.

    The 29-year-old's representative, Juanma Lopez, says the ex-Real Madrid forward will remain with Diego Simeone's side as it stands, but suggested he could depart before the transfer window closes on September 1. 

    He told Chiringuito: "At the moment I say that he stays at Atletico Madrid, we are in August. Will he stay? Yes, he has a contract with Atletico."

    Simeone was unable to give any assurances over Morata's future following the victory over Getafe.

    "I am not the owner of the club, I am the coach," the Atleti boss said. "He is doing very well, working in an extraordinary way, and we hope that Morata will continue with us.

    "I think that all footballers have to have confidence to do important things. He came with humility, desire to work, without demanding anything, striving to get to this shape and that is what we want to see."

  • Rumour Has It: Man Utd considering moves for Vardy and Aubameyang Rumour Has It: Man Utd considering moves for Vardy and Aubameyang

    Manchester United have come in for huge criticism following their poor start to the season.

    United have failed to land major off-season transfer targets and are eager to add reinforcements.

    The start of Erik ten Hag's tenure as manager has been hugely disappointing, with back-to-back Premier League defeats.

     

    TOP STORY – MAN UTD TURN TO VARDY TO SOLVE STRIKER ISSUES

    Manchester United are considering a bid for Leicester City forward Jamie Vardy to solve their striker conundrum, claims The Athletic.

    The Red Devils have endured a frustrating transfer window and have only netted once in their opening two league games.

    Vardy is among a number of targets United are keen on, having also been linked with Barcelona's Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, according to The Sun.

     

    ROUND-UP

    – TalkSPORT claims Manchester United are getting close to a €50million (£42m) deal for Atletico Madrid's Brazilian forward Matheus Cunha. The 23-year-old joined Atletico from Hertha Berlin last year on a five-year deal.

    Chelsea are closing in on a deal for Inter's Cesare Casadei, according to Calciomercato. Inter have set their asking price at €15m (£12.5m) plus €5m in bonuses, which the Blues are edging closer to meet. The deal may aid Romelu Lukaku sealing a permanent switch to the Nerazzurri.

    – Talks are ongoing between Paris Saint-Germain and Juventus on agreeing a move for Leandro Paredes, reports Fabrizio Romano. Personal terms have been agreed between the Argentinian and the Bianconeri on a long-term deal.

    Wolves will sign Portuguese midfielder Matheus Nunes for a club-record fee of €45m (£38m) plus €5m in add-ons from Sporting CP, according to Record. Liverpool, West Ham and Manchester City had been tracking Nunes.

    – Diario Sport claims Barcelona may be willing to let Samuel Umtiti exit as a free agent amid interest from various unnamed clubs. Umtiti, who is contracted at Camp Nou until 2026, has struggled with injuries during his time at the Blaugrana.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.