Palmeiras boss Abel Ferreira considering his future despite Copa triumph

By Sports Desk November 28, 2021

Palmeiras head coach Abel Ferreira admits he is considering his future in the role despite lifting the Copa Libertadores with Saturday's 2-1 final victory over Flamengo.

The 42-year-old Portuguese cited the hectic schedule for Palmeiras, juggling competing in Brazil's top flight along with continental competitions.

Palmeiras have played eight times this month and will back up from Saturday's final with a Brasileiro Serie A fixture against Cuiaba on Tuesday.

Ferreira, who became the first European head coach to win the Copa Libertadores twice, said the schedule was "insane" and "inhuman".

"The calendar is insane, it is inhuman," Ferreira said at the post-game news conference. "For me, I have to do a lot of thinking. The club has already demonstrated its will, I am very grateful to the club.

I can't manage with this rhythm of game, rest, game. This is not for me. I am not able to do it. I can't be at my maximum capacity, not at my maximum strength, not at my maximum energy.

"I always need to rely on the players. It's inhuman what they do here. If they want to grow, they gave to give up the round trips in cups.

"We have to have space to be able to rest and play well. I will stop, reflect and do what is best for Palmeiras."

Ferreira took over as Palmeiras boss in October 2020, having previously led PAOK and Sporting Braga.

Related items

  • FIFA announces new loan regulations to prevent clubs 'hoarding players' FIFA announces new loan regulations to prevent clubs 'hoarding players'

    FIFA has announced new regulations that will limit the number of players that can be loaned in and out in order to prevent clubs from "hoarding players".

    The new rules were outlined by the governing body on Thursday and will come into effect from the start of the next transfer window should they be ratified by the FIFA Council

    Teams will initially be limited to having a maximum of eight players loaned out and eight loaned in at any given time during a season. 

    That number will drop to seven ahead of the 2023-24 season, and six from the start of the following campaign and beyond.

    While that does not cover domestic loans, national associations have been asked by FIFA to bring their own regulations in line by July 2025 at the latest.

    However, players aged 21 and younger and club-trained players will be exempt from these limitations.

    In a further development, the number of players loaned in from the same club will be capped at three per season. 

    And the minimum length for a loan deal will be between two transfer windows, while the maximum loan period will be one year.

    FIFA hopes the new regulatory framework, delayed by two years due to the coronavirus pandemic, will help with player development and promote more competitiveness.

    The regulations could have a major impact on the likes of Premier League pair Chelsea and Manchester City, who currently have 21 and 14 players out on loan respectively.

  • Arteta urges Arsenal to 'defend ourselves on the pitch' after hitting out at 'lies' Arteta urges Arsenal to 'defend ourselves on the pitch' after hitting out at 'lies'

    Mikel Arteta has urged his Arsenal players to do their talking on the field against Liverpool after accusing unnamed parties of "lying" about the reasons behind Sunday's north London derby postponement.

    The Gunners had a request to call off the match against fierce rivals Tottenham accepted by the Premier League on Saturday due to having a lack of players available to choose from.

    However, Arteta's side were accused of exploiting the Premier League's rules for a game to be postponed, with the majority of their players absent due to injury, suspension or Africa Cup of Nations duty.

    Arsenal had only one confirmed positive COVID-19 case at the time of lodging an application to get the derby called off, but the Premier League deemed they were unable to meet the required number of available players – 13 outfielders and a goalkeeper – despite their Under-23s having a squad of 16 for a game on Friday.

    Speaking on Tuesday, Tottenham head coach Antonio Conte felt the decision to postpone the match was "very, very strange".

    But Arteta hit back at Arsenal's critics in response to Conte's remarks and added: "We're not going to let anybody damage our name or try to spread lies."

    Doubling down on those comments, Arteta said: "We have to defend ourselves. The best way to do that is demonstrate who we are, and the best way to do that is on the pitch.

    "Whoever is saying we are trying to do something we are not, that's a lie. We have all the evidence we have to provide. 

    "You have to provide evidence individually, all the MRIs, all the COVID cases that you have, you have to put it on the table, you have to explain it, you have to answer more questions and you have to go again and do it. We've done all the right things."

    As the fallout from Sunday's derby cancellation continues, Arsenal have a crucial EFL Cup semi-final second leg against Liverpool to prepare for on Thursday.

    The tie is delicately poised following last week's goalless draw at Anfield, where Arsenal held on with 10 men for more than an hour after Granit Xhaka's sending off.

    And for Arteta, the match at Emirates Stadium represents a chance for his young squad to continue their development by reaching a major final.

    "I can sense the excitement when they're training. They're really looking forward to it. The majority of them have not experienced [a semi-final]," he said.

    "It's why you play football, it's why you want to play for this club, to win trophies. We want to go through and then go and win it, which is the best memory you can have."

    Arsenal confirmed on Thursday that defender Pablo Mari has completed his loan move to Serie A side Udinese.

    Mari, who has made 22 appearances for the Gunners in all competitions, will remain at the Dacia Arena for the remainder of the season. 

  • Important Bergwijn happy to stay at Tottenham - Conte Important Bergwijn happy to stay at Tottenham - Conte

    Steven Bergwijn inspired Tottenham to a stunning late 3-2 win over Leicester City on Wednesday and Antonio Conte appears to have no intention of allowing him to leave.

    Bergwijn has been consistently linked with a move away from Spurs, with Ajax and Sevilla said to be among those interested in the forward.

    However, he rescued Spurs from their first Premier League defeat under Conte in remarkable circumstances at the King Power Stadium.

    Patson Daka put the Foxes in front against the run of play, but Harry Kane's 250th club goal of his career brought Spurs level in a pulsating first half.

    James Maddison looked to have consigned Tottenham to defeat as Spurs boss when he restored Leicester's lead 14 minutes from time.

    But Bergwijn provided an incredible twist in the tale, coming off the bench to strike in the 95th minute and again in the seventh minute of stoppage time to move Spurs above fierce rivals Arsenal into fifth place.

    Asked about the Netherlands international, Conte said: "In the past when someone asks me about Steven Bergwijn, I was very clear.

    "I said that for me he is an important player because he has characteristics that in our squad we don't have many creative players.

    "He is very good in one vs one, good to beat the man. He can play striker, he can play number 10 and for us, for me, he is an important player and we have to try to improve, to become stronger, not to lose a player and become less strong.

    "Steven is a player that if he's in good physical condition and he has good fitness, he can start the games or he can come in and change the game.

    "For me, I think he's an important player and you know very well the player has to be happy and I think the player is happy to stay with us and play for Tottenham."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.