Man Utd 'didn't need' to sign Sancho, claims former striker Yorke

By Sports Desk November 27, 2021

Dwight Yorke has claimed Manchester United did not need to sign Jadon Sancho due to the emergence of Mason Greenwood at the time.

Sancho joined from Borussia Dortmund in a big-money move in the last transfer window, though the winger's arrival was somewhat overshadowed by Cristiano Ronaldo's sensational return to Old Trafford.

The 21-year-old has struggled for form since the transfer and was dropped by England after disappointing in his initial showings for United.

However, Sancho – who has accumulated 744 minutes across all competitions for his new club – finally found the net against Villarreal on Tuesday after previously going 14 appearances and 10 shots without finding the net.

His Champions League strike was his first goal for the club, having failed to score before United and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer parted ways with the Red Devils sat eighth in the league.

But Yorke expressed his confusion as to why United signed Sancho when they have Greenwood, who stormed onto the scene in 2019-20 before he became only the second teenager to find the net in the opening three matches of a Premier League season this term.

"I think people forget these are young men that come in with huge expectations," Yorke, who finished as United's top league goal scorer in 1998-99, told Stats Perform. 

"He hasn't had the best of campaigns with England. We've seen that missed penalty, that can have a knock-on effect as well. All those little things, things that young players have to deal with. 

"I am a fan; I just probably think it would have been a little bit too early for us to bring him in. 

"I think we didn't need Sancho at the point in time with the emergence of Greenwood. I just think that was a position that we didn't really need to go for."

United are reportedly edging closer to appointing Ralf Rangnick on an interim basis, with a permanent solution set to be found at the end of the season.

The 63-year-old will no doubt know about Sancho, who is the only player from Europe's top five leagues to have scored 10 goals or more and had at least 15 assists across all competitions in each of the previous three seasons.

Despite questioning whether his arrival was necessary, Yorke added how exciting Sancho's potential can be for United, who travel to Chelsea in the Premier League on Sunday.

"However, you still cannot underestimate the talent the boy does possess," he continued.

"He's definitely one for the future. Again, we have an English product and we want to make sure that we continue to pick up the English players. 

"But sometimes that can get a little bit overwhelming at times and people get ahead of themselves a little bit. But there’s no question in my mind that he's a very talented young man and will be a great asset to the football club going forward."

Related items

  • 'I think he will stay in the end' – Bologna coach confident in keeping Man Utd target Arnautovic 'I think he will stay in the end' – Bologna coach confident in keeping Man Utd target Arnautovic

    Bologna coach Sinisa Mihajlovic has joined the club's sporting director Marco Di Vaio in suggesting 33-year-old Manchester United target Marko Arnautovic will remain in Italy this season.

    Arnautovic arrived at Bologna ahead of the 2021-22 campaign after three years with Shanghai Port in China, and it proved to be a savvy move from the Serie A side as he netted 15 goals in 34 appearances – eight more goals than any of his teammates.

    Speaking before Bologna's Coppa Italia clash against Cosenza, Di Vaio said Arnautovic is at the centre of what he is trying to accomplish this season, and that "it's not a question of money, it's priceless for what it represents for us" before adding "he has no market value".

    After the match, Mihajlovic told the media he believes the club will hold on to the big Austrian.

    "If he were to go away it would be a great loss," he said. "I would be happy for him, but I think he will stay in the end.

    "We talked to each other, surely if he stays here he will train well and do what he has to do. If he goes away we will see, but I don't think so."

    United reportedly have had a €9million offer turned down, while Arnautovic's agent has confirmed "it's true that there is an offer from a well-known club."

  • Everton sign England international Coady from Wolves Everton sign England international Coady from Wolves

    Everton have announced the signing of England international Conor Coady from Wolves.

    The 29-year-old defender joins Frank Lampard's side on a season-long loan, becoming the club's fourth signing of the window after James Tarkowski, Ruben Vinagre and Dwight McNeil.

    Capped 10 times by England, Coady has captained Wolves for the past four seasons and will be hopeful of making Gareth Southgate's squad for the World Cup in Qatar.

    "It's incredible to join Everton. As soon as I heard the interest, from the manager but also the football club itself, I really wanted to be part of it straight away. I'm over the moon to join," he told the club's official website.

    "I've grown up around the city, I know the football club, how big this club is and what it means to the supporters. I'm someone who was desperate to come here, to play for this club. I've got family and friends who are massive Evertonians.

    "I'm here to give absolutely everything I've got for this football club. It's important I work as hard as I can to help my teammates, help the club move forward and make people proud."

    Everton opened the Premier League campaign with a 1-0 defeat to Chelsea but are set to strengthen their ranks further before Saturday's trip to face Aston Villa.

    The signing of 20-year-old midfielder Amadou Onana from Lille is expected to be announced imminently for Everton, meanwhile, Wolves will use the sale of Coady to help fund their move for Valencia's Goncalo Guedes, which was also confirmed by the Spanish club on Monday.

    #welcomeCoady pic.twitter.com/7yx1IMdAc9

    — Everton (@Everton) August 8, 2022
  • Bologna determined to retain 'priceless' Arnautovic amid reported Man Utd interest Bologna determined to retain 'priceless' Arnautovic amid reported Man Utd interest

    Bologna sporting director Marco Di Vaio has warned Manchester United off a move for "priceless" forward Marko Arnautovic.

    United are widely reported to have made an approach to try and bring Arnautovic back to the Premier League, where he previously represented West Ham United and Stoke City.

    Erik ten Hag is short of options to lead the line, with Cristiano Ronaldo's future uncertain and Anthony Martial injured, but luring Arnautovic from Bologna will not be an easy task.

    Speaking ahead of the Coppa Italia clash against Cosenza, Di Vaio made it clear that the Serie A club are not willing to negotiate over a deal.

    "It is not easy to play in the market phase, there is a lot of talk, our will is to retain Marko. He is at the centre of our project," he told Italia 1.

    "This interest makes us proud above all because it is an idea born by Sabatini [Walter, Bologna's former sporting director] and carried out by the club to realise a dream that was to bring him here after two three years in China.

    "It was a bet won, he responded on the field and we want to move forward with him. Our will is not to sell, but to strengthen the team to make an important season."

    Pressed over whether the club's stance would change if a significant offer was presented, Di Vaio suggested that would not be the case.

    "It's not a question of money, it's priceless for what it represents for us," he explained.

    "We want to move forward with him because we are convinced that he can do better and help us grow. He is always the first in training to spur others, he has no market value."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.