EPL

Conte salutes record-breaking Kane and wants Ndombele revival at Spurs

By Sports Desk November 19, 2021

Antonio Conte wants Harry Kane to reproduce his "world-class" England form in a Tottenham shirt and believes the striker's World Cup qualifying feats were just the boost he needed.

A desperate start to the Premier League season by Kane has seen the striker net just once in 10 games for Spurs, and provide only a single assist.

After last season's 23 goals from 35 games, which he complemented with a career-high 14 assists, it marks a drastic waning in fortunes for the England captain.

The most widely advanced theory among those questioning that decline is that Kane is fatigued, not only from his exertions with England at Euro 2020 but from a drawn-out saga concerning his own future.

Kane was widely expected to be a Manchester City player by now, but that did not come to pass, with Tottenham resistant to efforts to take their star man.

He failed to deliver in the league for Nuno Espirito Santo during the Portuguese's short-lived spell as Tottenham boss, but new head coach Conte will expect Kane to produce talismanic performances.

After firing a hat-trick against Albania last Friday, followed by four against San Marino, Kane reached 16 goals in the calendar year for England, a new record for the team.

"To score is never easy. I'm happy for him, the national team. England are now ready to play in the World Cup in Qatar," Conte said.

"It's a good achievement. I am happy for Harry because he broke the record with England. We are talking about a world-class striker, an important player for us.

"For sure to score is a boost for him. I am very happy, I have the possibility to get to know him much more.

"He is a top player, he wants to train very hard and improve. It's fantastic for me because my first task is to try and improve the players, bring them to another level. I think in this team, many players can do this."

Kane has managed a minimum of 17 goals in each of the last seven Premier League seasons, but he has serious work to do to threaten that mark this term.

After 10 games last season, he had seven goals and nine assists, clicking sensationally with Son Heung-min as Tottenham made a flying start that saw them lead the table in early December.

Jose Mourinho and his players could not convert that into a sustained title challenge, and Tottenham are already so far back this term that a push for the Premier League trophy is almost a non-starter. They sit ninth heading into the weekend, 10 points adrift of leaders Chelsea.

For the home game against Leeds United on Sunday, they will be without the injured Cristian Romero, and Conte has a doubt over Giovani Lo Celso after his return from Argentina duty.

Conte says everyone at Tottenham must "feel important" and have "a sense of belonging".

"You must work with your heart, passion," said the former Inter, Chelsea, Italy and Juventus boss. "This is the right way to improve and extend the sense of belonging to our supporters and our players during the game."

He hopes Tanguy Ndombele, Tottenham's blissfully talented midfielder, feels that way. According to Conte, Ndombele "has to work much more than the others".

The French playmaker endured a poor 2020-21 season, with his contributions nosediving. In a host of departments, his numbers slumped.

Per 90 minutes played in the Premier League, his performances slipped from a promising 2019-20 effort, with goals per 90 falling (0.18 to 0.13), assists going the same way (0.18 to 0.09), along with chances created (1.07 to 0.6), tackles won (1.43 to 0.85) and successful passes ending in the final third (14.39 to 10.64).

Conte said: "I have seen many managers struggle with his position. He has the quality. He has to understand it is a team, and he has to play into the team.

"It is important to do what the position asks you to do. We are working very hard. He has to work much more than the others.

"He has talent, but he has to put it into the team for the team, not for the single player. Every single player has to know what he has to do. If every player just runs around the pitch, it will be a mess."

Related items

  • Injured Haaland not in Man City squad for Liverpool clash Injured Haaland not in Man City squad for Liverpool clash

    Erling Haaland was not included in Manchester City's squad to face Liverpool on Saturday after failing to recover from a groin injury.

    The Norway star has 42 goals in 37 games for City this season, but had been a doubt after suffering the injury that ruled him out of the recent international break, with Pep Guardiola saying on Friday that his star striker's availability remained uncertain.

    Haaland was not even named among the substitutes, as Julian Alvarez took his place up front in the team to face the Reds.

    Guardiola made six changes to the team that thrashed Burnley 6-0 in the FA Cup last time out as City aimed to keep the pressure on leaders Arsenal in the Premier League title race.

    Ederson, John Stones, Manuel Akanji, Nathan Ake, Ilkay Gundogan and Jack Grealish came in for Stefan Ortega, Kyle Walker, Aymeric Laporte, Rico Lewis, Haaland and Phil Foden, who has also been sidelined after having his appendix removed.

    Jurgen Klopp made two changes from the side that lost 1-0 to Real Madrid as Liverpool exited the Champions League last time out, with captain Jordan Henderson taking the place of James Milner in midfield, while Harvey Elliott came in for Darwin Nunez.

    Klopp opted for a front three of Cody Gakpo, Diogo Jota and Mohamed Salah as Liverpool looked to give their top-four hopes a boost at the Etihad Stadium.

  • Klopp confirms Liverpool intend to spend at the end of shaky season Klopp confirms Liverpool intend to spend at the end of shaky season

    Liverpool will be looking to spend at the end of the season as Jurgen Klopp plans to rebuild the faltering Premier League giants.

    After finishing second on 92 points in the league and reaching three cup finals last season, winning two, the Merseysiders have fallen from grace in this campaign, currently in sixth place and out of all other competitions.

    Liverpool have been linked with moves for Borussia Dortmund's Jude Bellingham and Chelsea's Mason Mount among others, with the England pair anticipated to cost up to £200million between them.

    Speaking ahead of his team's trip to Manchester City, Klopp was not willing to go into specifics, but did outline the club's intention to be active when the transfer market reopens at the end of the season.

    "I will not answer the question [about potentially spending nine figures on one player] because we never speak about these kind of things," the Reds manager said.

    "We will spend in the summer, that's what I can say, definitely. For who and how many and stuff like this, there is nothing to say about that really."

    Klopp is in the process of trying to create his next team at Anfield, having brought in Ibrahima Konate, Luis Diaz, Darwin Nunez and Cody Gakpo in the last two years, but with ageing stars – particularly in midfield – recognises the need for more work.

    "It's clear after a specific amount of time that you need to shuffle things and kind of start anew. That is completely normal," he added.

    "It's just rare nowadays that it happens with the same manager because people realise when you sack a manager and bring in a new manager, things change and you readjust the squad.

    "After seven years it was clear that we have to do it. There is a moment when you have to make changes.

    "We are not where we want to be, where we should be and where we have to be."

  • Rumour Has It: Arsenal, Man Utd and PSG headline Tchouameni suitors Rumour Has It: Arsenal, Man Utd and PSG headline Tchouameni suitors

    Arsenal, Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain are among the heavy hitters with reported interest in out-of-favour Real Madrid midfielder Aurelien Tchouameni.

    Tchouameni arrived in Madrid last July from Monaco for a €100million fee, but has started just 15 of 26 LaLiga fixtures this term, and played only a combined six minutes in their two-legged Champions League clash with Liverpool, whom he reportedly turned down to move to the Santiago Bernabeu.

    The defensive midfielder has found himself behind 20-year-old Eduardo Camavinga for Madrid's most crucial contests, also only making brief substitute appearances in both meetings with Barcelona in March.

    Tchouameni, who has made 23 senior appearances and scored two international goals for France, still has plenty of time to turn himself into the impact player Madrid envisioned, but the club are reportedly weighing up if they could cash in and use the resources elsewhere.

    TOP STORY – EUROPE'S ELITE KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON TCHOUAMENI

    According to El Nacional, Madrid are not happy with such an expensive signing only being used sparingly in a rotation role, and will consider any bid in the next transfer window starting at €70m (£61.5m).

    The report names Arsenal, United, Paris Saint-Germain, Liverpool and Chelsea as Tchouameni's "admirers", with the Premier League clubs in particular having all been in the market recently for help in central midfield.

    Tchouameni could even cost less than breakout Brighton and Hove Albion star Moises Caicedo, and significantly less than Borussia Dortmund talent Jude Bellingham, adding another key name into the mix for midfielder-hungry clubs this offseason.

     

    ROUND-UP

    – According to Calciomercato, Liverpool are considering a move for Brighton's Caicedo if their pursuit of Bellingham is unsuccessful.

    – Football Insider is reporting that Chelsea are hoping to receive £100m in return for midfield duo Mason Mount and Mateo Kovacic in an effort to balance the books after lavish spending.

    – Chelsea's Kai Havertz has interest in reuniting with former boss Thomas Tuchel at Bayern Munich, and that interest is mutual according to 90min.

    – Fichajes is reporting that Roma may swoop for 32-year-old United goalkeeper David de Gea if he does not sign a new contract to stay in the Premier League.

    – According to Mundo Deportivo, PSG have told Lionel Messi they will pay whatever is necessary to retain his services amid heavy interest from Barcelona and Inter Miami.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.