Simeone criticises officials after 10-man Atletico lose at Liverpool

By Sports Desk November 03, 2021

Diego Simeone was critical of the officials after Atletico Madrid's Champions League hopes were left in the balance following a 2-0 defeat to Liverpool.

Atletico ended the first half with 10 men as the LaLiga champions' bid to reach the knockout phase was dealt a blow against last-16 bound Liverpool at Anfield on Wednesday.

Beaten 3-2 in the reverse fixture in the Spanish capital, having also lost Antoine Griezmann to a red card on matchday three last month, Atletico conceded goals to Diogo Jota and Sadio Mane before Felipe was dismissed nine minutes prior to the interval for a cynical foul on the latter and subsequent apparent dissent.

It is the first time since November 2019 Atletico have lost back-to-back Champions League group-stage games under Simeone, whose side are third in Group B – a point behind Porto in the race for the final round-of-16 berth with two matches remaining.

Afterwards, head coach Simeone vented his frustration as he told reporters: "It is difficult for us to form an opinion. Firstly, because we didn't see the actions very well.

"The one from Griezmann [in the last game] was very quick. Of course, you could see later on TV as you probably have seen Jota's one tonight [Wednesday], too. The one from [Jose] Gimenez v Porto is, in theory, similar to Felipe's one tonight. These are up to the VAR people and the referees themselves.

"We coaches should be focused on improving the team and not stop on these things, which of course have an influence on the game because having one man less is a lot, especially in the first game when we were competing well and nearly winning the game.

"So, that decision made more difficulties for us in the game. Now is the time to be quiet, work together and again, I like how the team accepted its role in the second half and I give them all the credit for this."

Atletico conceded two goals in the first half of consecutive Champions League games for the first time after 105 fixtures.

Currently in the Europa League spot, Atletico host bottom-placed Milan on November 24 before travelling to Porto for their final group fixture on December 7.

"It is not a very different situation to the ones we have gone through in previous years in the Champions League," Simeone said on the team's group-stage struggles. "Lately, we are struggling to go through from the group stages.

"We used to do it much easier before, not reaching the last match with all at stake. It is different lately. So, we have to play a good game against Milan and only be focused on that."

Related items

  • Harden credits 'aggressive' mindset after Nets edge past Knicks Harden credits 'aggressive' mindset after Nets edge past Knicks

    James Harden believes "being aggressive the entire game" was key for his starring role as the Brooklyn Nets held off the New York Knicks on Tuesday.

    The Nets went down 107-113 to the Phoenix Suns on Saturday but bounced back with a tight 112-110 victory over the Knicks at the Barclays Center.

    Harden struggled in the defeat to the Suns, converting just four of 16 attempted field goals, while registering seven turnovers and going none-for-six from three-point range.

    However, the 2018 MVP recovered by delivering his third 30-point game of the season – finishing with 34 – as he recorded a double-double with 10 rebounds, eight assists and three steals.

    The 32-year-old, who has had to deal with lingering hamstring strains since last season, credited a pre-game talk with Hall of Famer Reggie Miller for his dominant performance.

    "Reggie's the one that got me going," Harden told reporters at the post-game news conference. "Ultimate confidence, ultimate 'best player in the league'-type vibe. 

    "That mindset. He just hit me with some good motivation before the game – something I needed."

    Brooklyn coach Steve Nash called for Harden to adopt an attacking mindset all the time prior to the meeting with the Knicks and was subsequently granted his wish.

    Asked what had changed for Harden to dominate, the shooting guard responded: "Yeah, just being aggressive. Being aggressive. That's the only thing every night is my aggressiveness. I've just got to continue that.

    "Just not thinking about anything but being aggressive the entire game. The second half was a little different, but we had guys get going. 

    "Patty [Mills] started that second half off hot, Kevin [Durant] got going a little bit, so I was just aggressive. That's the mindset for four quarters."

    Durant also chipped in with 27 points, 21 of those coming in the second half, and nine assists while crucially finding an open lane for James Johnson, whose last-gasp free throws secured the decisive two-point lead.

    Durant's late show rallied the Nets to victory and the 33-year-old insisted he wants to play every available minute for Nash's side.

    "I want to play for 48 minutes," Durant said. "That's just what it is. And I know a lot of people — I don't even know if they're concerned or not. 

    "It's just a conversation to have. I'm playing more minutes and I'm coming off an injury and all this other stuff, but I like to play, and if I can convince coach to play me the whole second half sometimes and put me in earlier in quarters, I'm going to do it. 

    "It doesn't matter. My basketball life is not that long, so I'm going to get the most out of it."

  • Rumour Has It: Former Man City boss Mancini emerges as shock Man Utd contender Rumour Has It: Former Man City boss Mancini emerges as shock Man Utd contender

    Manchester United's search for a new permanent manager continues, with Mauricio Pochettino the favourite.

    Ralf Rangnick has been appointed on an interim basis until the end of the season, though Michael Carrick is set to preside over a third game as caretaker manager on Thursday.

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was sacked last month after a poor run of results at the end of a trophy-less tenure.

     

    TOP STORY – MANCINI EMERGES AS SHOCK MAN UTD CONTENDER

    Former Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini has emerged as a contender for the vacant Man Utd managerial role, claims The Telegraph.

    The current Italy head coach, who led the Azzurri to the Euro 2020 title, is under "careful consideration" by United chiefs, according to the report.

    Mancini is contracted with Italy until 2026 on a lucrative deal but may potentially be available to take over from Rangnick pending Italy's World Cup qualification play-offs in March.

     

    ROUND-UP

    Milan want to sign Arsenal forward Alexandre Lacazette as soon as possible and will make a move for him in January rather than wait for him to become a free agent at the season's end, according to Sport Italia journalist Rudy Galetti.

    Man Utd have been offered the opportunity to sign Brazil attacking midfielder Philippe Coutinho by Barcelona, reports Sport.

    - Sport also claims Barcelona have a "total agreement" to sign Man City's Spanish forward Ferran Torres, although they want the English champions to lower their asking price of £60million.

    Ajax are looking to do a deal with Tottenham to sign Dutch forward Steven Bergwijn on loan, according to De Telegraaf.

    - Calciomercato claims Juventus have pulled out of the race to sign Monaco's Aurelien Tchouameni, with Chelsea leading the contenders.

  • Paul confident Suns depth can cover Booker hamstring injury Paul confident Suns depth can cover Booker hamstring injury

    Chris Paul is confident that the Phoenix Suns depth can cover the likely loss of Devin Booker after suffering a hamstring injury in Tuesday's franchise-tying 17th consecutive win.

    The Suns defeated the table-topping Golden State Warriors 104-96 despite losing Booker in the second quarter after limping out of the game with a left hamstring injury.

    Phoenix head coach Monty Williams said post-game there was no update on the extent of Booker's injury but Paul, who had 15 points and 11 assists, was bullish about the side's depth.

    "Just keep playing," Paul said during the post-game news conference. "It's not one guy that's gonna fill that void.

    "We've got so many guys like Elfrid Payton who hadn’t played the last few games and he's ready, comes right not the game. Cam Johnson, he started the second half.

    "We've got so much on this depth that if somebody does go down, somebody will step up."

    The Suns defense contained the Warriors to only 18 points in the final quarter and 42 in the second half.

    Paul added: "With Book going down early in the game, it was a next-man-up mentality. Like coach always says, keep the ball moving, that's all we tried to do."

    Booker was averaging 23.9 points, 5.1 rebounds and 4.7 assists this season prior to the injury where he had 10 points, two rebounds and one assist to that point against the Warriors.

    The 25-year-old shooting guard had missed four games after suffering a left hamstring strain last January.

    "No, nothing yet," Williams said when asked about Booker's status. "We'll have more tomorrow."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.