Scholes frustrated with Pogba again: He'll be doing the same stupid stuff at 35

By Sports Desk November 03, 2021

Paul Scholes claimed Paul Pogba will still be doing "this stupid stuff" at the age of 35 after the Manchester United midfielder disappointed against Atalanta.

Pogba was restored to the starting line-up for Tuesday's Champions League game after missing the 3-0 Premier League win at Tottenham due to suspension.

However, the France international was substituted with 69 minutes gone despite United trailing 2-1 to the home side after a frustrating performance.

Pogba gave up the ball 13 times in the United midfield, including once when he dawdled on the ball on the edge of his own box and had a pass cut out, with Eric Bailly scrambling to deny Duvan Zapata a clear shot at goal.

United in the end salvaged a 2-2 draw, with Cristiano Ronaldo, who had earlier cancelled out Josip Ilicic's opener, blasting home a second in the 91st minute after Zapata's goal looked to have given Atalanta the win.

Pogba leads the assists charts in the 2021-22 Premier League with seven, but his inconsistent form continues to be a concern for United, who could see the World Cup winner leave on a free transfer next year if he does not sign a new contract.

Former United star Scholes thinks Pogba is unlikely to change his ways and will always need someone to keep him focused on the pitch.

"He wasn't great, he was sloppy. I don't think we question the character of the team, but the quality was seriously lacking," Scholes said on BT Sport.

"We know him [Pogba], we've been with him. He needs somebody talking to him all the time. He needs somebody there that he totally respects. He needs experienced players behind him.

"How old is he, 28, 29? He's a really experienced player, but he's one of them, he'll get to 35 and he'll be exactly the same. He'll still be doing this stupid stuff where he's trying to stud-roll the ball, trying to hold people off, show how strong he is, show how skilful he is, and people know it now. They watch it all the time.

"[I would be on to him] every single day. One and two touches, and pass it. And concentration: the biggest thing with Paul is his concentration. He goes away with the fairies at times.

"Think of the Juventus team he played in, where he was brilliant, which is why we signed him, by the way. The experience around him: [Andrea] Pirlo, [Giorgio] Chiellini, [Leonardo] Bonucci, [Gianluigi] Buffon, an aggressive manager who's telling him all the time. He will need that treatment until he's 35."

Related items

  • Chelsea striker Sam Kerr pleads not guilty to racially aggravated harassment Chelsea striker Sam Kerr pleads not guilty to racially aggravated harassment

    Chelsea striker Sam Kerr has pleaded not guilty to racially aggravated harassment of a police officer, according to the Crown Prosecution Service.

    The Australia captain was charged with causing a police officer harassment, alarm or distress during an incident in Twickenham, south-west London, on January 30 last year.

    A Metropolitan Police spokesperson said the incident involved an officer who was responding to a complaint about a taxi fare.

    Kerr, of Richmond, denied the charge at a plea and trial preparation hearing at Kingston upon Thames Crown Court on Monday.

    She is due to face trial next February, according to reports.

    Chelsea have been contacted for comment by the PA news agency.

    Kerr is two months into a lengthy period on the sidelines after sustaining an anterior cruciate ligament injury during the Blues’ warm-weather training camp in Morocco.

    The 30-year-old – Australia’s all-time leading scorer with 69 goals – joined Chelsea in 2020 and has helped the London club win the last four Women’s Super League titles as well as the FA Cup three times.

  • Bruno Fernandes admits derby loss makes it ‘hard’ for United to reach top four Bruno Fernandes admits derby loss makes it ‘hard’ for United to reach top four

    Bruno Fernandes admits it is “going to be hard” for Manchester United to qualify for the Champions League after Manchester City’s “individual quality” led to an 11th Premier League loss of the season.

    An unbeaten start to 2024 came to an abrupt halt at home to Fulham last weekend and, having edged past Nottingham Forest in the FA Cup, was compounded by another league defeat on Sunday afternoon.

    Marcus Rashford put unfancied United into a shock lead at the Etihad Stadium, only for fabulous Phil Foden’s brace and a stoppage-time Erling Haaland strike to seal City a 3-1 derby win.

    “Obviously we’re disappointed,” skipper Fernandes said after the defeat. “I think we could have got something from the game.

    “I think the effort from the team was there. Everyone tried really hard to get the result today, but it wasn’t possible.

    “I said at half-time I felt that the team was doing everything we could to defend our box.

    “We know that at moments we had to defend deep and be together and be compact and help each other.

     

    View this post on Instagram

    A post shared by Manchester City (@mancity)

     

    “We did it but obviously I think today the difference was the individual quality from the players of City that made them win this game.”

    The gulf in quality was clear to anyone watching, although under-fire boss Erik ten Hag believes the gap would be closer if United were not beset by injuries.

    Such issues have undoubtedly hurt the Red Devils in a second season to forget for the Dutchman, whose side are an eye-watering 19 points behind Premier League leaders Liverpool with 11 matches remaining.

    If that was not bad enough, Ten Hag’s side are facing an uphill battle even to secure a return to European football’s top table.

    United sit sixth, 11 points off fourth-placed Aston Villa and six points behind Tottenham – who have a game in hand – in fifth spot, which could yet be enough for Champions League qualification.

    “We need to look forward,” Fernandes told MUTV, as attention now turns to the Saturday lunchtime encounter with embattled Everton.

    “We don’t depend only on ourselves to get in the positions we want. We’re not hiding from that.

    “We want to be in the Champions League, we want to try until the end of the season to get into that fourth place.

    “That gives you the possibility to be in the Champions League, so we know it’s going to be hard, but we have to do everything that is on our hands that we can do.

    “Going to the next game at home, we know that our fans will be there again, over and over again.

    “They’re being behind us, they push us and next game we have to go there and win that game.”

  • Girona lose further ground in LaLiga title race with narrow defeat at Mallorca Girona lose further ground in LaLiga title race with narrow defeat at Mallorca

    Girona lost further ground in the LaLiga title race as they slumped to a 1-0 defeat at Mallorca.

    Girona were looking to close the gap on league leaders Real Madrid – who drew 2-2 with Valencia on Saturday – but missed their chance to do so when Jose Copete smashed the home side in front just after the half-hour mark.

    Fewer chances fell in the second period but the visitors were kept at bay by a Mallorca side who threw bodies on the line for a result – chances for Portu and Savio went begging as the hosts held on to climb further away from the drop zone.

    The first chance of the match fell to Girona when Miguel Gutierrez’s cross found the head of Ivan Martinez inside the area but his header went straight to home goalkeeper Predrag Rajkovic.

    Mallorca’s first meaningful attack came when Giovanni Gonzalez picked the ball up outside the area and fired from range but his shot kept rising above the crossbar.

    Mallorca were knocking on the door for an opener and got their reward on the half-hour mark after a corner fell to Copete inside the box and he slammed the ball into the roof of the net for his first goal of the season.

    Girona were looking to respond instantly and had a chance three minutes later – Savio looked to equalise in spectacular style but saw his effort go high and wide from outside the box.

    Mallorca went into the break with a narrow one-goal lead and almost had a second four minutes after the interval but Antonio Raillo’s header from a Dani Rodriguez corner floated over the crossbar.

    Chances were few and far between in the second period and while Girona shared most of the possession, their opponents looked to catch a second on the counter attack, this time Abdon Prats’ drilled effort whistled just wide of the far post.

    Girona were beginning to look a lot more threatening and had a couple of openings when Portu’s goal-bound effort deflected over the crossbar before Savio saw one blocked behind in similar fashion, a couple of minutes later.

    The away side continued to probe in the final minutes as Yan Couto opened up a chance inside the box and fired towards goal but Rajkovic had to be alert to tip the ball over the woodwork to condemn Girona to a third defeat in four.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.