EPL

Bruce after Newcastle exit: It was tough to be called an inept cabbage head!

By Sports Desk October 20, 2021

Steve Bruce found the abuse he received at Newcastle United "very, very tough to take" and has hinted it could end up being his last job in management.

Newcastle confirmed on Wednesday that Bruce has left his role as head coach by mutual consent, a move that had been expected since the club's Saudi Arabian-backed takeover was completed.

Bruce was appointed in July 2019 and reached 1,000th matches as a manager in the 3-2 home defeat against Tottenham on Sunday.

He leaves with Newcastle sitting 19th in the Premier League, but did record finishes of 13th and 12th in his first two seasons after replacing fan favourite Rafael Benitez.

Bruce felt much of the criticism and insults he was subjected to crossed the line.

He told the Telegraph: "When we get beat, I get very low, but when you are managing in the Premier League with Birmingham, Wigan, Hull, Sunderland you do get better at dealing with it. You have to.

"By the time I got to Newcastle, I thought I could handle everything thrown at me but it has been very, very tough. 

"To never really be wanted, to feel that people wanted me to fail, to read people constantly saying I would fail, that I was useless, a fat waste of space, a stupid, tactically inept cabbage head or whatever. And it was from day one. 

"When we were doing OK results wise, it was, 'Yeah but the style of football is rubbish' or I was just 'lucky'. It was ridiculous and persistent, even when the results were good.

"The best one was to be told we were a relegation team in all but points - this was all in the first season. We finished 13th. [The criticism and abuse] got even worse in the second year. We finished 12th, 17 points clear of the bottom three. 

"I've always enjoyed the fight, proving people wrong, but that’s all it ever seemed to be. A fight, a battle. 

"It does take its toll because even when you win a game, you don’t feel like you are winning over the supporters."

While not ruling anything out, former Manchester United captain Bruce, 60, may not manage again due to the impact of his latest role on his family.

He added: "I think this might be my last job. It's not just about me; it’s taken its toll on my whole family because they are all Geordies and I can't ignore that. 

"They have been worried about me, especially my wife Jan. She dealt with the death of my parents, hers have not been very well. And then she had me to worry about and what I’ve been going through the last couple of years.

"I'm 60 years old and I don’t know if I want to put her through it again. We've got a good life so, yeah, this will probably be me done as a manager - until I get a phone call from a chairman somewhere asking if I can give them a hand. Never say never, I've learnt that."

Newcastle's star player, Allan Saint-Maximin, was among the players to pay tribute to Bruce after his exit.

The forward wrote on Twitter: "You are, without a doubt, one of the most gentle people that I have ever met in the world of football. 

"You have been a man of your word, a caring man and a fair man who never hesitated to protect us. I will never forget how you treated me, for that I will be forever grateful."

Graeme Jones will lead Newcastle on an interim basis, starting with Saturday’s trip to Crystal Palace. Former Roma boss Paulo Fonseca is the early favourite to replace Bruce as head coach.

Related items

  • Kerr, Kirby 'out of this world' as Chelsea claim Women's FA Cup on special day at Wembley Kerr, Kirby 'out of this world' as Chelsea claim Women's FA Cup on special day at Wembley

    Chelsea manager Emma Hayes described Sam Kerr and Fran Kirby as "out of this world" after the star duo helped mark a significant anniversary in women's football with a 3-0 win over Arsenal in the FA Cup final.

    The Women's FA Cup showpiece fell exactly 100 years to the day since the Football Association (FA) banned women from playing football – it took almost 50 years for the ban to be lifted when Southampton defeated Stewarton Thistle 4-1 in the first tournament in 1971.

    Sunday was all about celebration as more than 40,000 fans packed into Wembley to watch Chelsea trump London rivals Arsenal in the 2020-21 decider, which had been postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    Englishwoman Kirby opened the scoring before Australian star Kerr scored twice, including a stunning chip, as Chelsea added to their Women's Super League and Women's Continental League Cup success earlier this year, completing a domestic treble for the first time in their history.

    "I thought we got it spot-on. We predicted what they were going to do and they did what we thought they were going to do," Hayes said post-match. "We've painted Wembley blue, it's certainly a Chelsea day today and our performance was absolutely superb.

    "The front two were out of this world. I said to Fran it was the best game I've ever seen her play for Chelsea and Sam's confidence is growing. But everybody played their part, did the job we asked them to do and we thoroughly deserved to be winners.

    "To think we are treble winners, it is an amazing achievement – you can't ask for any more from the players and I am extremely proud of them, the staff and the club. 

    "We have built this team over a long period of time and today I think we showed why we are champions. [There will be] zero chance of celebration. The bus is leaving from here and they are going home - they know the deal, we need to win [against Juventus on] Wednesday!"

    Kerr became the first Australian woman to score in a Wembley final in a player-of-the-match performance.

    She also became the third Australian – man or woman – to celebrate FA Cup glory at Wembley after Liverpool's Craig Johnston and Harry Kewell.

    "So many wondered how Sam would cope in the English game. As far as I am concerned she is the best striker in the world," said Hayes. "She is courageous, she is full of confidence. She’s a superb athlete and an amazing human. 

    "And she can do that after getting off a plane from Australia on Thursday… She did not have a good night's sleep last night but she just brushes things off. Champions do not make excuses, or become victims, or look for anybody else to manage them."

  • Ibrahimovic wants to 'stay at Milan for life' as Zlatan jokes about playing with third gen of Maldini family Ibrahimovic wants to 'stay at Milan for life' as Zlatan jokes about playing with third gen of Maldini family

    Zlatan Ibrahimovic wants to stay at Milan for "life" as the evergreen superstar eyes a Rossoneri contract extension.

    Ibrahimovic celebrated his 40th birthday in October but the veteran forward has shown no signs of slowing down amid Milan's Serie A title bid.

    Out of contract at the end of the season, Ibrahimovic has scored six goals in nine league appearances to help Scudetto-chasing Milan to the top of the table through 16 rounds.

    Ibrahimovic has been a revelation since re-joining Milan for a second spell in January 2020 and as the Swede continues to defy 'Father Time', he has no plans to leave San Siro.

    "I want to play as long as possible, and as long as I have that adrenaline, I will continue," Ibrahimovic – who was part of the last Milan team to win Serie A in 2010-11 – told Rai Tre's Che Tempo Che Fa.

    "Let's put pressure on Milan here to give me an extension and I hope to stay at Milan for life.

    "I still have objectives that I can achieve and I want to win another Scudetto."

    Ibrahimovic added: "I don't know what will happen after football, so I am a little scared to stop. We'll see, but I want to continue playing so that I don't have any regrets."

    Milan defeated Salernitana 2-0 on Saturday, with Ibrahimovic watching from the bench.

    In Milan's previous victory – a 3-0 win over Genoa on Wednesday – Ibrahimovic scored his 153rd Serie A goal, drawing level with Stefano Nyers and Hernan Crespo in 26th place among the top scorers in the Italian competition.

    His 73 league goals for Milan also took Swedish forward Ibrahimovic to 10th in Milan's standings, alongside Filippo Inzaghi.

    Ibrahimovic has played alongside Milan great and current Rossoneri technical director Paolo Maldini, and his son Daniel – spanning two generations.

    "It's wonderful, we'll see if the adrenaline continues and I can play with Daniel's son as well!" Ibrahimovic joked.

  • Everton back Benitez as Brands makes 'difficult' decision to walk away Everton back Benitez as Brands makes 'difficult' decision to walk away

    Everton insisted manager Rafael Benitez retains their "full support" amid an ongoing slump, but director of football Marcel Brands has left the Premier League club.

    Dutchman Brands joined Everton from Eredivisie outfit PSV in 2018 and signed a new three-year contract as recently as April.

    Reports emerged on Sunday he had left his Goodison Park post and that was made official late in the evening, with Brands saying it was his choice to move on.

    Brands departed due to differences in opinion over plans for the future of the club, with his views apparently not sufficiently aligned with those of others.

    He said, quoted on Everton's website: "This decision has taken some time and some consideration and was one of the most difficult I have faced in my career.

    "The board and I agreed that there is a clear difference in the vision and direction for this beautiful club and, with that in mind, the decision was taken."

    Everton are mired in a dismal run of form under former Liverpool boss Benitez, taking one point from a possible 21 across their last seven games to slide out of the top half and down to 16th place.

    In a statement, the club said: "Everton Football Club can confirm that Marcel Brands has left his post as director of football.

    "Brands joined Everton from PSV Eindhoven in June 2018 and was appointed to the club's board in 2019. The owner and directors would like to thank Marcel for the service he has given to the club over the past three and a half years and wish him well for his future.

    "A strategic review of the football structure will now take place which will inform the best model for the club to proceed with in the long-term.

    "In the meantime, the owner and board of directors will continue to provide our manager, Rafa Benitez, with their full support."

    Everton's owner is Farhad Moshiri, who elected to appoint Benitez after Carlo Ancelotti left the club at the end of last season to embark on a second spell as head coach of LaLiga giants Real Madrid.

    A 4-1 defeat to Merseyside rivals Liverpool last Wednesday was Everton's last Premier League outing, with Benitez's team next in action on Monday when they face Arsenal at Goodison.

    The appointment of Benitez in June was a controversial one given his past as a fans' favourite at Liverpool, and his renowned affection for the Reds. A positive start curried favour with some sceptics, but there has been a cooling in the support from many Everton supporters for the Spaniard and his team in recent weeks, with results in sharp decline.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.