EPL

Bruce calls for clarity and concedes Newcastle future is out of his hands

By Sports Desk October 17, 2021

Steve Bruce knows his future at Newcastle United is out of his hands but says clarity on his position would be for the best as the club looks to move forward under its new ownership.

A controversial, Saudi Arabian-backed takeover of Newcastle went through earlier this month, with Bruce's position immediately cast under doubt.

Indeed, it seemed unlikely Bruce - a largely unpopular figure with Newcastle's fanbase - would be in place to take charge of his 1,000th match as a manager against Tottenham on Sunday.

While the reports of his impending dismissal did not prove to be true just yet, Bruce's landmark match ended in a 3-2 defeat, with Newcastle's new owners watching on from the crowd at St James' Park.

Callum Wilson scored inside two minutes to carry on the pre-match elation but Tanguy Ndombele and Harry Kane put Spurs ahead before a medical emergency in the crowd resulted in a lengthy stoppage in which the players left the pitch.

Spurs picked up where they left off after returning to the field, with Kane teeing up Son Heung-min, whose goal ultimately proved decisive when Eric Dier turned into his own net late on, just after Newcastle's Jonjo Shelvey had seen red.

Newcastle are without a single win from their opening eight league games, while since Bruce took charge ahead of the 2019-20 campaign, the Magpies have dropped 28 points from winning positions in home league games, the most of any Premier League side.

With money seemingly no issue for Newcastle's ownership, speculation over Bruce's future is bound to continue, and where he had been bullish in his pre-match news conference on Friday, the 60-year-old was rather more downcast after the match.

"That's for other people to decide," Bruce told Sky Sports when asked if he believed he would still be in charge for next week's trip to Crystal Palace.

"If I was reading everything and seeing what I was seeing last week I might not have been here today. But look, my job is to get a few results.

"Unfortunately, whether manager of Newcastle or anybody else in the Premier League, when you haven't won in eight, you become under pressure if that's the right word. That's part and parcel of being in the Premier League, with the big boys, and I'll crack on as best I can until I hear otherwise."

Asked if clarity on his position was required, Bruce replied: "That's what it needs. Every football club needs clarity. From the top right the way through to everything the football club is.

"The new owners have been very respectful, I can't say enough of them, the way they've gone about their business. But Rome wasn't built in a day, so we've still got our failings as a team and it's up to me, in the near future anyway, to get better.

"I'd love to say it's been a lovely ride. It's been difficult, but I think I've been in the circumstance of a lot of frustration for a lot of years.

"The people of Newcastle want to see the club move forward, we have a wonderful opportunity now and all I've ever wanted is to make sure this great club of ours moves forward, but that's going to take a little bit of time."

Bruce, however, did explain how the incident with the fan who fell ill during the first half put everything into perspective.

"Thankfully, we're hearing that the man is okay, so it puts things into perspective a little bit," Bruce said. "The actions that we've taken, it looks like it's good news, which I'm delighted for, and of course his family."

It was a sentiment echoed by Nuno Espirito Santo, with Spurs players Sergio Reguilon and Eric Dier both acting swiftly in alerting the referee and medical staff to the situation in the crowd.

"Credit to how they [Spurs players] reacted to what was happening in the stands and credit to Andre [Marriner], the referee," Nuno said in a news conference.

"He made the right decision. It was no condition to continue game. He stopped, spoke to us and explained what was happening. Thank God the person is stable and good, this is really good news."

Related items

  • Ibrahimovic wants to 'stay at Milan for life' as Zlatan jokes about playing with third gen of Maldini family Ibrahimovic wants to 'stay at Milan for life' as Zlatan jokes about playing with third gen of Maldini family

    Zlatan Ibrahimovic wants to stay at Milan for "life" as the evergreen superstar eyes a Rossoneri contract extension.

    Ibrahimovic celebrated his 40th birthday in October but the veteran forward has shown no signs of slowing down amid Milan's Serie A title bid.

    Out of contract at the end of the season, Ibrahimovic has scored six goals in nine league appearances to help Scudetto-chasing Milan to the top of the table through 16 rounds.

    Ibrahimovic has been a revelation since re-joining Milan for a second spell in January 2020 and as the Swede continues to defy 'Father Time', he has no plans to leave San Siro.

    "I want to play as long as possible, and as long as I have that adrenaline, I will continue," Ibrahimovic – who was part of the last Milan team to win Serie A in 2010-11 – told Rai Tre's Che Tempo Che Fa.

    "Let's put pressure on Milan here to give me an extension and I hope to stay at Milan for life.

    "I still have objectives that I can achieve and I want to win another Scudetto."

    Ibrahimovic added: "I don't know what will happen after football, so I am a little scared to stop. We'll see, but I want to continue playing so that I don't have any regrets."

    Milan defeated Salernitana 2-0 on Saturday, with Ibrahimovic watching from the bench.

    In Milan's previous victory – a 3-0 win over Genoa on Wednesday – Ibrahimovic scored his 153rd Serie A goal, drawing level with Stefano Nyers and Hernan Crespo in 26th place among the top scorers in the Italian competition.

    His 73 league goals for Milan also took Swedish forward Ibrahimovic to 10th in Milan's standings, alongside Filippo Inzaghi.

    Ibrahimovic has played alongside Milan great and current Rossoneri technical director Paolo Maldini, and his son Daniel – spanning two generations.

    "It's wonderful, we'll see if the adrenaline continues and I can play with Daniel's son as well!" Ibrahimovic joked.

  • Everton back Benitez as Brands makes 'difficult' decision to walk away Everton back Benitez as Brands makes 'difficult' decision to walk away

    Everton insisted manager Rafael Benitez retains their "full support" amid an ongoing slump, but director of football Marcel Brands has left the Premier League club.

    Dutchman Brands joined Everton from Eredivisie outfit PSV in 2018 and signed a new three-year contract as recently as April.

    Reports emerged on Sunday he had left his Goodison Park post and that was made official late in the evening, with Brands saying it was his choice to move on.

    Brands departed due to differences in opinion over plans for the future of the club, with his views apparently not sufficiently aligned with those of others.

    He said, quoted on Everton's website: "This decision has taken some time and some consideration and was one of the most difficult I have faced in my career.

    "The board and I agreed that there is a clear difference in the vision and direction for this beautiful club and, with that in mind, the decision was taken."

    Everton are mired in a dismal run of form under former Liverpool boss Benitez, taking one point from a possible 21 across their last seven games to slide out of the top half and down to 16th place.

    In a statement, the club said: "Everton Football Club can confirm that Marcel Brands has left his post as director of football.

    "Brands joined Everton from PSV Eindhoven in June 2018 and was appointed to the club's board in 2019. The owner and directors would like to thank Marcel for the service he has given to the club over the past three and a half years and wish him well for his future.

    "A strategic review of the football structure will now take place which will inform the best model for the club to proceed with in the long-term.

    "In the meantime, the owner and board of directors will continue to provide our manager, Rafa Benitez, with their full support."

    Everton's owner is Farhad Moshiri, who elected to appoint Benitez after Carlo Ancelotti left the club at the end of last season to embark on a second spell as head coach of LaLiga giants Real Madrid.

    A 4-1 defeat to Merseyside rivals Liverpool last Wednesday was Everton's last Premier League outing, with Benitez's team next in action on Monday when they face Arsenal at Goodison.

    The appointment of Benitez in June was a controversial one given his past as a fans' favourite at Liverpool, and his renowned affection for the Reds. A positive start curried favour with some sceptics, but there has been a cooling in the support from many Everton supporters for the Spaniard and his team in recent weeks, with results in sharp decline.

  • Smashed for six by half-time! Gladbach boss Hutter tells fans he's 'sorry' for humiliating Freiburg defeat Smashed for six by half-time! Gladbach boss Hutter tells fans he's 'sorry' for humiliating Freiburg defeat

    Adi Hutter apologised to supporters after his Borussia Monchengladbach team were trounced 6-0 at home by Freiburg, with all six goals coming in a remarkable first half.

    High-flying Freiburg became the first team ever in the Bundesliga to score five goals away from home inside the opening 25 minutes of a match, and Gladbach midfielder Patrick Herrmann bemoaned "a catastrophic performance".

    Maximilian Eggestein and Kevin Schade put the visitors two up with only five minutes gone, before Philipp Lienhart, Nicolas Hofler, Lucas Holer and Nico Schlotterbeck got in on the act to shock those in attendance at Borussia-Park on Sunday.

    Gladbach had previously been the only side to score five goals in the opening 25 minutes of a match, that coming at home to Braunschweig in October 1984.

    The loss leaves Gladbach in 13th place in the Bundesliga, with just 18 points from 14 games, and head coach Hutter made clear after the game that it was an unacceptable performance and result.

    "I am incredibly disappointed," Hutter told the official club website. "I'm also very sorry for the spectators who made their way to the stadium. We win together and we lose together.

    "A few weeks ago, we beat Bayern 5-0 here and we were all over the moon. Today, we saw a match that should never have played out the way it did. Of course, we knew that Freiburg are strong from set-pieces and we prepared for that in training, but I had the feeling that we were paralysed from them.

    "I don't have an explanation for that right now. First and foremost, we have to apologise for the way we played today. That is unacceptable. If you saw the level in training, you would never imagine that a performance like that could happen. But then when you're 5-0 down after 25 minutes, it's obviously very disconcerting."

    Sporting directer Max Eberl also spoke to the club website, making mention of the Foals' "lethargy", saying: "We conceded two early goals, and you could see how nervy it made everyone. No one wanted the ball, although, to be honest, we didn't have much of the ball in the opening period anyway.

    "We just had this inexplicable lethargy and didn't carry a threat at all. I'm a bit bewildered right now. Tomorrow is about picking ourselves back up and digesting the defeat. We conceded four goals in Cologne, and now six today, but we also didn't do enough going forward with enough incisiveness either."

    Gladbach's Herrmann simply added: "It's hard to put the game into words. We had already thrown it away after a matter of minutes. We just weren't at the races at all in the first half – it was a catastrophic performance. If you're 4-0 down after 20 minutes and then concede the fifth goal, everyone knows that the game is over."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.