UEFA probe alleged 'discriminatory incidents' in Sparta v Rangers clash after Kamara boos

By Sports Desk October 05, 2021

UEFA has launched an investigation into alleged "discriminatory incidents" in Sparta Prague's Europa League clash with Rangers.

The fixture, which the Scottish Premiership champions won 1-0, was originally due to be played behind closed doors following the racist abuse of Monaco midfielder Aurelien Tchouameni in August but around 10,000 school children and accompanying adults were allowed to attend.

The match last Thursday was marred by the booing of Rangers' black players, with Glen Kamara seemingly subjected to particularly vocal taunts.

Last March, UEFA ruled Kamara had been the victim of a racist slur from Ondrej Kudela in Rangers' fixture against Sparta's Czech rivals Slavia Prague.

European football's governing body said in a statement on Tuesday: "In accordance with Article 31(4) of the UEFA Disciplinary Regulations, a UEFA Ethics and Disciplinary Inspector has been appointed to conduct a disciplinary investigation regarding potential discriminatory incidents allegedly occurring during the 2021/22 UEFA Europa League group stage match between AC Sparta Praha and Rangers FC played on 30 September 2021."

Following the fixture, Gers boss Steven Gerrard called for harsher punishments to tackle incidents of racism.

"Sadly, these things keep raising their head far too often and, unfortunately, the punishments are not severe enough," Gerrard said.

Sparta released a statement in response, claiming that the actions of the children watching had been misunderstood and that allegations of racism were wide of the mark.

"It is absolutely unbelievable that after a match we have to watch innocent children being attacked and face unfounded accusations of racism," the statement said. 

"You are describing the behaviour of children incorrectly, arrogating to yourself the right to judge the expression of emotions of six-year-old children who have no idea what racism is. It's an impertinence."

Related items

  • Pepe to miss Porto's decisive Atletico Madrid clash due to COVID-19 Pepe to miss Porto's decisive Atletico Madrid clash due to COVID-19

    Porto will be without captain Pepe for their decisive Champions League showdown with Atletico Madrid on Tuesday after he tested positive for coronavirus.

    The Primeira Liga leaders go into their final Group B match at Estadio do Dragao in second place, with Atleti and Milan also in the hunt to qualify for the last 16 behind runaway leaders Liverpool.

    Porto will have to do without veteran centre-back Pepe, while Marko Grujic is a doubt due to an ankle injury.

    Coach Sergio Conceicao said during a news conference on Monday: "Pepe tested positive for COVID. It's an uncontrollable situation, it's part of society.

    "As for Grujic, two days ago in training, with the poor quality of our pitches, he sprained [his ankle] and is in doubt."

    Milan and Atleti are just a point behind Porto and Jurgen Klopp will ring the changes for Liverpool's trip to San Siro.

    Conceicao believes it should already have been mission accomplished for his side, who must win to make certain of a place in the knockouts.

    He said: "In this circumstance, in the last round of the group stage [to be in contention to progress] is something my team deserves praise for, and it would be deserved to be already in the round of 16.

    "Any of the teams [Porto, Milan and Atleti] can dream of going through, but we have to focus on what we have to do in the game and win it."

    Mateus Uribe (suspended) and Ivan Marcano (foot) are also ruled out, while Francisco Conceicao (hip) and Joao Mario (fatigue) are rated as doubtful. 

  • Everton 2-1 Arsenal: Stunning Gray strike snatches last-gasp victory Everton 2-1 Arsenal: Stunning Gray strike snatches last-gasp victory

    Demarai Gray's stoppage-time wonder goal saw Everton snatch a dramatic 2-1 victory over Arsenal and relieve the pressure on boss Rafael Benitez.

    Martin Odegaard put the Gunners in front just before half-time at Goodison Park with a neat volley from Kieran Tierney's cross.

    But despite twice being denied by VAR, Richarlison equalised with 10 minutes remaining, before Gray completed the turnaround with a stunning 25-yard effort in the second minute of stoppage time.

    Now without a win in four Premier League visits to Goodison, Mikel Arteta’s side missed the chance to return to fifth place in the table.

    Everton were unbeaten in their three previous home games against Arsenal in the Premier League and made a bright start to proceedings.

    Top scorer Gray and Abdoulaye Doucoure were off target, while Anthony Gordon had a shot blocked inside the box.

    The hosts thought they had taken a 44th-minute lead when Richarlison headed in Andros Townsend's cross, but VAR denied them as the Brazil international strayed marginally offside.

    The visitors capitalised in first-half stoppage time, Odegaard arriving late to neatly volley home Kieran Tierney's centre.

    Odegaard almost turned provider eight minutes after the restart, the former Real Madrid midfielder’s cross finding Gabriel Magalhaes, whose header was saved by Jordan Pickford.

    Everton and Richarlison were denied by VAR again four minutes later, the latter offside by a fraction once more as he received Doucoure's pass before slotting beyond Aaron Ramsdale.

    But their persistence paid off 10 minutes from time, Richarlison reacting quickest to head home the rebound after Ramsdale had done brilliantly to turn Gray’s initial effort onto the crossbar.

    Eddie Nketiah then squandered a glorious opportunity to snatch the points for Arsenal; the substitute somehow hitting the post with a close-range header.

    It proved costly as Everton snatched all three points in the second minute of added time, Gray embarking on a strong run before bending a wonderful 25-yard strike in off the post.

  • Inter winger Perisic to discuss his future in 'a couple of weeks' Inter winger Perisic to discuss his future in 'a couple of weeks'

    Inter winger Ivan Perisic will not discuss his future for "a couple of weeks" as the Nerazzurri prepare to face Real Madrid in the Champions League on Tuesday.

    The Croatia international is only under contract until the end of the season and it has been reported Tottenham boss Antonio Conte is keen for a reunion with the 32-year-old.

    Perisic, who has scored three goals and provided two assists in 19 appearances this season, says he is only interested in Serie A champions Inter's quest to win more trophies for the time being.

    He said in a news conference on Monday: "The last two years have been wonderful for me, but this is the past.

    "I'm hungry, we want to win again this year. I don't like to talk about the future, I'm focused on this period and we have to give everything we have every day." 

    The Nerazzurri are assured of a place in the last 16 of the Champions League, but Perisic is eyeing a victory at the Santiago Bernabeu to win Group D.

    "I'm focused only on tomorrow, as are my team-mates. We want to play a great game and finish in first place," he added.

    "We have time and in a couple of weeks we'll talk [about his future]. Let's see what can happen."

    Madrid have won each of their past three games against Inter in the Champions League, while the Italians have only one victory in their previous 12 meetings with Spanish sides.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.