Arsenal 3-1 Tottenham: Gunners claim easy derby win over sorry Spurs

By Sports Desk September 26, 2021

Arsenal claimed consecutive Premier League victories over Tottenham for the first time since 2014 as they eased past their North London rivals 3-1.

Having initially made a strong start to life under Nuno Espirito Santo, Spurs have now lost three successive league games, with their manager seeing his first derby effectively lost inside the first 45 minutes.

Emile Smith Rowe's 12th-minute strike gave Arsenal a deserved lead, which was doubled when he teed up Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang 15 minutes later.

Spurs offered limp resistance and the game was essentially put to bed by the excellent Bukayo Saka, with Son Heung-min's effort a mere consolation for Tottenham.

Smith Rowe rewarded Arsenal for a bright start when he drifted towards the near post to slot Saka's clever low delivery beyond a rooted Hugo Lloris.

Thomas Partey tested Lloris from range and Aubameyang fired a long-range effort narrowly over the crossbar before Spurs threatened a riposte through Son, who forced Aaron Ramsdale to turn behind from a tight angle.

Aubameyang found the desired accuracy to double Arsenal's lead as Spurs were caught on the counter, the Gabon forward freeing Smith Rowe down the left with a neat backheel and then firing into the bottom-right corner from the eventual return pass.

Tottenham failed to learn their lesson and were undone by another Arsenal break. It was Saka this time who was given the freedom of one flank, and he surged into the open space to tuck home after seeing Harry Kane block his attempted pass to Aubameyang.

After his defensive efforts fell short, Kane then missed a glaring opportunity to offer a more traditional contribution to proceedings as he headed wide unmarked from a corner, encapsulating an awful first half for Spurs.

Kane did draw a save from Ramsdale on the hour mark and then beat the Arsenal goalkeeper, only to see his dinked effort drift wide of the right-hand post.

Son side-footed beyond Ramsdale, with Granit Xhaka injured in the build-up, but those were the only blots on a superb day for Arsenal, who survived an injury-time scare when their goalkeeper tipped a Lucas Moura strike onto the crossbar.

Related items

  • Grimsby ease relegation fears with win over Forest Green Grimsby ease relegation fears with win over Forest Green

    Grimsby moved six points above the League Two relegation zone with a 1-0 victory against rock-bottom Forest Green.

    Harvey Rodgers scored the winner early on at Blundell Park to secure Town’s first win in eight matches.

    Grimsby settled first and went 1-0 up in the eighth minute when Rodgers looped over Vicente Reyes from the edge of the penalty area.

    Chances were at a premium for the remainder of the first half with Rovers midfielder Emmanuel Osadebe dragging a half-volley narrowly wide.

    Harvey Bunker took aim upon the restart as Rovers pushed and probed for a way back into what was an all-important relegation showdown.

    At the other end, a wayward strike from substitute Kieran Green was as close as Grimsby came to extending their advantage, while Jamie Robson struck over with the last kick to leave Rovers five points adrift in their quest for English Football League survival.

  • Louis Appere salvages a point for Cobblers against Charlton Louis Appere salvages a point for Cobblers against Charlton

    Louis Appere scored with 10 minutes remaining as Northampton fought back to draw 1-1 with struggling Charlton in Sky Bet League One.

    The Addicks led after just four minutes at Sixfields when their opponents failed to clear their lines and the ball dropped to Karoy Anderson on the edge of the box and his shot took deflected past goalkeeper Louie Moulden.

    Daniel Kanu was close to converting Conor Coventry’s fizzed cross before Moulden saved from Alfie May as Charlton enjoyed much the better of the first half.

    Northampton failed to create anything of note before the break but they were almost level early in the second half when Mitch Pinnock slammed the ball into the side-netting.

    The visitors continued to threaten on the break and May headed against the post.

    However, they were pegged back in calamitous circumstances.

    Goalkeeper Harry Isted was caught in possession by Sam Hoskins and the ball fell to substitute Appere, who gleefully rolled it into an empty net to rescue a point for his team.

  • Last-gasp Tahvon Campbell strike earns Solihull Moors a draw at Eastleigh Last-gasp Tahvon Campbell strike earns Solihull Moors a draw at Eastleigh

    Tahvon Campbell scored a last-minute equaliser to nullify Paul McCallum’s hat-trick as promotion-chasing Solihull Moors snatched a 3-3 draw at Eastleigh in the Vanarama National League.

    Two headers from McCallum put the hosts into a 2-0 at half-time but Jamey Osborne pulled one back just before the hour.

    McCallum restored Eastleigh’s two-goal advantage when he completed his treble on 68 minutes but the visitors were not done.

    Jack Stevens kept them in the game with a curling effort on 74 minutes and substitute Campbell had the final say as the clock approached 90 minutes.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.