EPL

West Ham 1-2 Manchester United: Lingard haunts Hammers & De Gea saves penalty to seal comeback

By Sports Desk September 19, 2021

Manchester United came from behind to beat West Ham 2-1 on Sunday as Jesse Lingard returned to haunt the Hammers in a dramatic contest at London Stadium.

The England international, superb on loan at the Hammers last season, curled in an 89th-minute winner after Cristiano Ronaldo had earlier cancelled out Said Benrahma's deflected opener.

West Ham had the chance to equalise in the fourth minute of injury time, but David de Gea saved a penalty from Mark Noble, who had come off the bench to take the spot-kick.

Related items

  • Arnautovic 'focused on Bologna' after Man Utd interest Arnautovic 'focused on Bologna' after Man Utd interest

    Marko Arnautovic is focused again on delivering for Bologna after he was linked with a remarkable move to Manchester United earlier this month.

    The Austria international returned to Europe from the Chinese Super League last year, swapping Shanghai Port for the Serie A outfit ahead of the 2021-22 campaign as he signed a two-year deal.

    A fine run of form last season saw him net 15 goals in 34 appearances in all competitions and attract the attention of United, who are managed by his former coach Erik ten Hag.

    But the left-field bid from the Premier League giants was widely questioned, with the backlash seemingly warning United off a deal.

    Speaking ahead of the new Serie A season, Arnautovic sought to move on swiftly from the episode as he looks ahead to another year with Bologna.

    "The transfer market is the transfer market," he said.

    "I have been in this world for many years, and I know that during the transfer market, there can always be interest from another team, but I'm focused on Bologna."

    United's interest in Arnautovic came amid a rough start to the new Premier League season, with Ten Hag suffering an opening-weekend defeat to Brighton and Hove Albion in his first match in charge.

    Superstar striker Cristiano Ronaldo appeared only from the bench following a disrupted pre-season, in which he was said to have pushed for an exit from the club to play Champions League football elsewhere.

     

  • 'Not a World Cup for fans' – Germany coach Flick critical of Qatar 2022 'Not a World Cup for fans' – Germany coach Flick critical of Qatar 2022

    The Qatar World Cup is not a tournament "for fans", says Germany coach Hansi Flick, who believes "football should be there for everyone".

    The latest staging of the flagship tournament has been the source of much controversy since it was awarded to Qatar in 2010.

    The nation's stance towards women and the LGBTQ+ community was widely pointed to as a problem from the outset, while the deaths of thousands of migrant workers have been reported during preparation for the finals.

    Given Qatar's limited accommodation facilities and the move to the middle of the European club season, the competition has presented issues for both fans and players, even beyond those moral debates.

    And Flick had supporters in mind as he added his voice to those criticising the 2022 World Cup.

    "Basically, I think it is a shame that this tournament will not be a World Cup for fans," he told the Frankfurter Rundschau.

    "[I have friends] who would like to fly to Qatar, but choose not to for a variety of reasons. Football should be there for everyone. That is why I say it is not a World Cup for fans."

    But Flick recognised making a direct political statement of protest was "a challenge for everyone involved", adding: "We have already had many discussions.

    "We will sit down again in September and consider what we can do together with other nations – or want to do."

    Flick will lead Germany into a major tournament for the first time after succeeding Joachim Low after a last-16 exit to England at Euro 2020.

    They will face Japan, Spain and Costa Rica in Group E, with their first game to be played against the Samurai Blue on November 23.

     

  • 'I did not come to Brazil to get threatened' - Willian ends Corinthians stay 'I did not come to Brazil to get threatened' - Willian ends Corinthians stay

    Willian said "I did not come to Brazil to get threatened" after leaving Corinthians just under a year after joining his boyhood club.

    The midfielder returned to his homeland last August after his Arsenal contract was terminated.

    Willian will be on the move again after revealing he has been subjected to death threats from fans and his family have also been targeted.

    "I did not come to Brazil to get threatened," the former Brazil international told the Globo Esporte.

    "Whenever Corinthians lost and if sometimes I was not doing well in the game, my family received threats, and curses on social media.

    "My wife, my daughters, after a while [they] also started attacking my father, and my sister."

    Corinthians said in a statement: "Corinthians accepted the dismissal of the athlete, the anticipation of the end of the contract.

    "Willian alleged private and family problems and the desire to leave Brazil. Corinthians is sorry, but respects the player's decision."

    The 34-year-old has been linked with another spell in London with Premier League new boys Fulham.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.