EPL

Man City had 'considerable chance' of signing Ronaldo – Fernandinho

By Sports Desk September 15, 2021

Manchester City had a "considerable chance" of signing Cristiano Ronaldo before he re-joined Manchester United, according to Fernandinho.

Premier League champions City were strongly linked with Ronaldo last month after it emerged he had asked to leave Juventus, where he had spent the previous three seasons.

However, United pulled of a stunning coup by agreeing a deal worth up to £19.67million (€23m) for the five-time Ballon d'Or winner, 12 years after he had departed for Real Madrid.

Ronaldo has made a fine start to his second spell at United with three goals in two games, but Fernandinho has suggested the Portugal captain could well have been a City player.

Asked how close his side came to signing the superstar forward, Fernandinho told ESPN Brasil: "I think they had a good, considerable chance. 

"I think his agent [Jorge Mendes] was here at the club renewing the contracts of Ederson, Ruben Dias, seeing the situation of Bernardo Silva and Joao Cancelo. 

"Obviously, if you're there at the table, you can talk about everything and every possible player."

Shortly after putting pen to paper on an initial two-year deal with United, Ronaldo revealed the part former boss Alex Ferguson had on his decision to opt for a return to Old Trafford.

And given the media attention surrounding the prospect of Ronaldo agreeing to join City, Fernandinho believes other factors played a part in the 36-year-old's decision.

"I think that a lot of expectations were also raised with the possibility of him coming here," the Brazilian said. "No doubt this ends up affecting not only the fans, but also the people inside the club. 

"But in the end, things didn't work out, he didn't close the deal, and ended up going to the red side of town. Life goes on."

After scoring twice on his second Old Trafford debut in last weekend's 4-1 win against Newcastle United, Ronaldo was again on target in the Red Devils' surprise 2-1 Champions League loss to Young Boys on Tuesday.

Ronaldo's 13th-minute opener made Young Boys the 36th different side he has scored against in the Champions League, a record the Portuguese now shares with Lionel Messi.

He also equalled another record in Switzerland on what was his 177th Champions League appearance, matching the number of games player by legendary Real Madrid goalkeeper Iker Casillas.

Related items

  • The tie is not over, Carlo Ancelotti warns Real Madrid ahead of Leipzig clash The tie is not over, Carlo Ancelotti warns Real Madrid ahead of Leipzig clash

    Real Mardid head coach Carlo Ancelotti has warned his players only their best will do against RB Leipzig as they look to secure a place in the quarter-finals of the Champions League.

    Los Blancos will defend a slender 1-0 lead from the first leg in Germany when Brahim Diaz scored a fine solo goal.

    Ancelotti’s side have been held to three frustrating draws in their last five domestic matches, with Jude Bellingham shown a red card after the game at Valencia ended 2-2 when he thought he had headed in a dramatic stoppage-time winner as the referee blew up for full-time.

    The 14-time European champions may be favourites to get the job done against Leipzig at the Bernabeu on Wednesday night, but Ancelotti insists there can be no sense of entitlement.

    “It’s a big opportunity to progress in a competition that is very special for us, but we will have to be at our best,” Ancelotti told a press conference.

    “The tie is not over, even if we do have a small advantage. We have to be at our best from the first minute to the last.

    “The first leg was difficult against Leipzig, even though we created a lot of chances.

    “We have to improve on that and be more dangerous because it’s going to be a different game tomorrow.

    “They will look to play more in transition than us. Dealing with that defensively is going to be very important.”

    Ancelotti reported no fresh concerns from the weekend, with captain Nacho Fernandez in contention to return to the side having missed some training with a minor issue which saw him start on the bench at Valencia.

    England midfielder Bellingham, making his own return from an ankle injury, was sent off after the players surrounded the referee in the wake of his disallowed goal, with Madrid having earlier fought back from 2-0 down.

    Ancelotti, though, feels there is no need to add further fuel to the situation, with his side now seven points clear at the top of LaLiga.

    “I have not spoken to Bellingham about this matter,” the Italian coach said.

    “He is someone who tries to give everything on the pitch and he is doing very well.

    “The red card the other day was a mistake. He was a bit frustrated, but he didn’t insult anyone.”

    Leipzig head to Madrid on the back of a 4-1 win at Bochum which left them fifth in the Bundesliga.

    Defender Mohamed Simakan is suspended for the second leg, while Lukas Klostermann is doubtful because of a hip problem.

    Leipzig coach Marco Rose said: “We are going to travel to Madrid and try everything.

    “We want to be the most difficult opponent possible for Madrid so that they really have to stretch.”

  • The Champions League is getting better and tougher – Man City boss Pep Guardiola The Champions League is getting better and tougher – Man City boss Pep Guardiola

    Pep Guardiola claims winning the Champions League is getting tougher every season.

    Guardiola finally ended Manchester City’s long wait for European glory when he guided the club to success in the competition last season.

    It had been City’s 12th successive campaign in the Champions League and their seventh under Guardiola, who had previously won it twice as Barcelona boss.

    City will look to cement their place in the quarter-finals of this year’s competition on Wednesday when they go into the second leg of their last-16 tie against FC Copenhagen holding a 3-1 aggregate lead.

    City manager Guardiola said: “It’s getting better and tougher. Always I had the feeling, when I arrived in Barcelona in the first years that OK, we arrive in semi-finals.

    “Now to reach the semi-finals is so difficult. The teams are better, managers are better.

    “Everything is even more difficult than when I was a football player.

    “But at the end, the better teams always go through. When you play two good games, you have more chance to go through.”

    Guardiola insisted, however, his triumphs with City were no more special than those he achieved with a Lionel Messi-inspired Barca side in 2011 and 2013.

    He said: “I would not say that. Otherwise we would undermine what we achieved in Barcelona and I would not like that.

    “Every moment is every moment. Every title you win is difficult. It’s not taken for granted.”

    City outplayed Copenhagen in the first leg at the Parken Stadium three weeks ago and could have won more comfortably than the scoreline suggests.

    Yet Guardiola maintains the tie is not over and will not allow focus to switch to Sunday’s crunch Premier League showdown with title rivals Liverpool yet.

    He said: “Selection will depend on how people recover from the last game and that’s all.

    “In this competition it is so really important to be focused because in football everything can happen and you have to be aware of that.”

  • Erling Haaland ‘really happy’ but refuses to rule out move from Manchester City Erling Haaland ‘really happy’ but refuses to rule out move from Manchester City

    Erling Haaland has refused to rule out a move from Manchester City despite stressing his happiness at the club.

    The prolific Norwegian was linked with Real Madrid earlier this season and he did not dismiss the idea he may one day move at a press conference on Tuesday.

    Showing an awareness of media operations, the 23-year-old even said this could be the main news line to come from his appearance in front of reporters to preview Wednesday’s Champions League clash against FC Copenhagen.

    He was therefore especially keen to point out how satisfied he is with life at City, for whom he has scored a staggering 80 goals in 84 appearances since joining in the summer of 2022.

    Haaland said: “I’m really happy, especially with the people that I’m surrounded with – the manager, the directors, the board, they are a group of amazing people and I’m really happy, I have to say.

    “If I say this now it’s probably going to be a massive headline – tomorrow you never know what the future brings. But I’m happy. You can write this but you also have to write everything I said before! I’m happy.”

    Haaland is contracted to 2027 but refused to comment on whether he might sign a new deal.

    The former Borussia Dortmund striker said: “My focus mainly now is on the pitch, there’s a lot of games.

    “Two days ago was the Manchester derby, now Champions League. Sunday is Liverpool. I think I should focus on that. I don’t think I should focus on anything else at the moment.”

    Haaland helped City win a glorious treble in his remarkable first season at the club but getting his hands on so many trophies has not dulled his appetite to win more.

    He said: “You can think about it in two ways. One thing, I came here and won it all, and the other thing, I’m 23 years old and I won everything and I got the taste of it, how it is to win everything.

    “How I work is that when I feel this is, I want to win it again. Easy as that.”

    Such has been Haaland’s stunning impact at City that him missing a chance can now create headlines.

    This was the case on Sunday when he contrived to volley over an open goal from close range against Manchester United, although he did later get on the scoresheet in a 3-1 win.

    Haaland said: “People say I’m good at scoring goals but I missed the biggest chance in the world ever a couple of days ago.

    “Yes, I’ve been missing, I missed a lot of chances. I will still keep on missing chances, but I will still keep on scoring goals.

    “I’ll probably miss a big chance in the future as well, and people are going to criticise me, but what can I do then? Should I think of that? No, just focus on scoring more goals and to help the team.”

    Haaland admitted when he was younger such a miss would have bothered him a lot but now he has learned to bounce back from disappointments.

    “It’s been a challenge for me,” he said. “I remember when I was young I would start crying if we lost and I missed a lot of chances.

    “I’ve been working on it a lot and in the end everything is in here (taps head).”

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.