Allegri relieved as Juventus ease past Malmo to end winless run

By Sports Desk September 14, 2021

Massimiliano Allegri admitted there was increased pressure on Juventus in Tuesday's Champions League opener but expressed relief after coasting past Malmo 3-0.

Juve were winless in their first three Serie A games but eased to a sixth straight group-stage away win as they continued their unbeaten run against Swedish opposition in Europe.

Alvaro Morata and Paulo Dybala were both on the scoresheet as the visitors opened the Champions League with a win by a three-plus goal margin for just the second time, the other against Feyenoord in 1997-98.

And Allegri, who returned to the helm in Europe with his side for the first time since April 2019, was relieved following a fixture which came with added pressure due to their poor start.

"When you play in the Champions League, there is always some tension in the build-up, especially when playing away from home," Allegri told Sport Mediaset.

"There was naturally a little more pressure after three Serie A games in which we didn’t do that well.

"The lads played well on a technical level, we could’ve done better with some situations in the first half. We need to improve, but this doesn’t change the work we started on July 14.

"The psychological aspect is 90 per cent of sport, because when you make individual errors like we did so far this season, it makes us see things negatively.

"Results affect the way your work is judged, but we must do well to retain a balance both in defeat and above all in success."

The Bianconeri's sixth straight group-stage away win stretching back to last season extended upon what was already their longest such run.

Morata has scored six goals in his last six away games in the competition – as many as he had netted in his previous 22 – and he insisted Juve were not worried despite their winless run.

"No, we went through various situations here at Juventus, there weren't as many positive things as now," Morata responded to Sport Mediaset post-match when asked if his side were concerned ahead of Tuesday.

"You have to take the good, be positive as a team, as a club, as fans. You have to go on along the same lines.

"We had a serious match, both today and with Napoli, but sometimes football is like that, episodes make you draw or even lose. Today it was essential to win. Now let's put our heads back on the championship."

Related items

  • Liverpool confirm victory parade for day after Champions League final Liverpool confirm victory parade for day after Champions League final

    Quadruple-chasing Liverpool have confirmed plans for an end-of-season victory parade the day after the Champions League final.

    Jurgen Klopp's Reds do not yet know how many trophies they will finish the campaign with, but they have already secured the EFL Cup and FA Cup.

    The Premier League could yet be added to that haul if Manchester City slip up on the final day of the season, while European glory is the target when Liverpool take on Real Madrid in a Paris final.

    That showpiece match takes place on May 28, with Liverpool now intending to return home in time to celebrate their potentially historic season on May 29.

    Liverpool Women will also be involved in the parade, having won the FA Women's Championship.

    City mayor Joanne Anderson said: "We're delighted that we can now confirm the club will definitely parade around the city on May 29 – and I'm pleased we will be celebrating the achievements of both the men and women’s teams.

    "A huge amount of work goes on behind the scenes in preparation for an event of this size and scale, so it's fantastic that the city is now going to be able to experience this.

    "Lifting the FA Cup, the Carabao Cup and the FA Women's Championship trophy is an incredible achievement that deserves to be acknowledged, and we have everything crossed that they won't be the only trophies they are lifting on the day!

    "Whatever the outcome of the end of the season and the Champions League final, Liverpool FC and Liverpool FC Women have already done us proud, and we will give both teams the homecoming celebration they deserve."

    With the parade set for 4pm local time, a Liverpool statement added the club would spend the morning of May 29 paying tribute to the 39 supporters who lost their lives in the Heysel Stadium disaster, of which it is the 37th anniversary.

  • Rumour Has It: Man City eye Phillips as Fernandinho replacement Rumour Has It: Man City eye Phillips as Fernandinho replacement

    Manchester City's dramatic Champions League exit at the hands of Real Madrid this season is apparently cause for another raid on the transfer market.

    After already wrapping up Erling Haaland's transfer from Borussia Dortmund, the midfield is the next area of business.

    With veterans in the midfield likely on their way out at the Etihad Stadium at this end of this season, replacements could soon be on the way.

    TOP STORY – CITY EYE PHILLIPS AS FERNANDINHO REPLACEMENT 

    Manchester City have emerged as contenders for the signature of Leeds United and England midfielder Kalvin Phillips, according to the Mirror.

    While Manchester United have also identified Phillips as a potential addition for their midfield, the 26-year-old has reportedly made it clear to his inner circle that he will not join Leeds' fierce rivals.

    However, Phillips would appear likely to leave Leeds if they are relegated, with West Ham, Aston Villa and Newcastle United all also linked.

    Fernandinho will depart City at the end of the season, while Ilkay Gundogan could follow, and the £50million-rated Phillips is a more attainable target than £100m international team-mate Declan Rice.

    ROUND-UP

    – According to Bild, Paris Saint-Germain are prepared to move on a deal for Liverpool's Sadio Mane amid reports he is stalling on a renewal of his contract, which expires in 2023.

    – Incoming Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag has added Ajax's Lisandro Martinez to the list of players he wants to bring to Old Trafford, the Telegraph is reporting.

    United have also shown renewed interest in Lazio and Serbia midfielder Sergej Milinkovic-Savic, per Calciomercato.

    – Chelsea want to sign Milan captain Alessio Romagnoli on a free transfer when his contract expires at the end of this season, Mundo Deportivo reports.

  • Cade Cunningham, Evan Mobley and Scottie Barnes headline NBA All-Rookie First Team Cade Cunningham, Evan Mobley and Scottie Barnes headline NBA All-Rookie First Team

    The NBA All-Rookie teams were unveiled on Wednesday, headlined by Rookie of the Year finalists Cade Cunningham and Evan Mobley and winner Scottie Barnes in the All-Rookie First Team.

    Joining the trio – who were all unanimous selections – on the First Team were Orlando Magic forward Franz Wagner and Houston Rockets guard Jalen Green.

    Cunningham, Green, Mobley and Barnes were the first four picks of the 2021 NBA Draft, while Wagner was the eighth selection.

    They were also the only five rookies to average at least 15 points per game this season, putting a gap between themselves and sixth-highest scorer Chris Duarte at 13.1 points per game. It is the first time since at least 1985 that all five members of the All-Rookie First Team have each averaged at least 15 points per game.

    The All-Rookie Second Team was made up of first-rounders Josh Giddey (sixth selection), Duarte (13th selection) and Bones Hyland (26th), as well as a pair of second-round picks in Herb Jones (35th) and Ayo Dosunmu (38th).

    Orlando will have the number one pick of the 2022 NBA Draft, followed by the Oklahoma City Thunder and then the Rockets.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.