Milan investing in long-term project to reach heights of Liverpool, says president Scaroni

By Sports Desk September 13, 2021

Milan president Paolo Scaroni insisted the Rossoneri are committed to a long-term project as they attempt to follow a blueprint similar to that of Liverpool.

The Serie A outfit are readying themselves for their first Champions League appearance since March 2014 on Wednesday against Jurgen Klopp's men, who have lost just one of their last 12 group-stage clashes at Anfield.

Head coach Stefano Pioli's preparations have been perfect so far, winning all three Serie A games to sit joint-top with Roma and Napoli, but Scaroni says Milan's focus is just on achieving Champions League qualification once more.

"The priority is to be back in the Champions League, Milan must always be there," Scaroni told Radio Anch'Io.

"If we can do better, we will be happy. The goal is at least fourth place, then if we end first, I will be delighted."

"Stefano Pioli has created a perfect mix with young and experienced players, building a real team, aggressive and fun. The coach has never been on the brink, ours is a long-term project since the first day."

The visitors' record on English soil is poor, too, given they have won just one of their last 13 in European competition against English opposition.

However, Scaroni referenced the gulf in income between his side and other European outfits as an important differentiator ahead of the repeat of the famous 2004-05 Champions League final between the two sides.

"I cannot forget that on Wednesday we will go to Liverpool, a club that earns €100 million from the box office, while we get €35m," Scaroni continued.

"Serie A clubs need new stadiums that can allow us to reach the European clubs otherwise fans will have to accept performances that are not at a European level."

Asked when Milan would start building a new stadium to bridge the gap, the president responded: "We are at a good point, I am optimistic even if there will be a mayoral election soon. October will be a crucial month.

"After the approval of the city council, which I hope will happen by the end of the year, it will take six months for the design.

"At that point, the construction could start in the second half of 2022 and, between 2024 and 2025, it could be ready."

Related items

  • AC Milan progress in Europa League despite Rennes fightback AC Milan progress in Europa League despite Rennes fightback

    AC Milan held off a stirring comeback by Rennes to book their place in the Europa League last 16.

    The Italian side looked to have the job done after last week’s 3-0 first-leg win at the San Siro, but the Ligue 1 outfit gave them a scare on home soil, with Benjamin Bourigeaud’s hat-trick sealing a 3-2 victory in the second leg.

    Milan goals from Luka Jovic and Rafael Leao proved pivotal as they secured a 5-3 aggregate win to go into the hat for Friday’s draw.

    Rennes knew they would have to make early inroads into their deficit if they were to have any chance of repairing the damage from a harrowing night in Milan last week.

    And they enjoyed the dream start as they went ahead in the 10th minute.

    Bourigeaud received the ball in the centre of the pitch, took a touch and then drilled a scorching low effort into the bottom corner.

    Milan were able to weather the early storm and got a crucial leveller in the 21st minute to restore their three-goal advantage.

    Tijjani Reijnders burst forward and teed up Theo Hernandez to send in an inviting cross which an unmarked Jovic powered home with his head.

    The hosts came again and thought they had made it 2-1 soon after but Arnaud Kalimuendo’s effort hit Mike Maignan without the Milan goalkeeper knowing too much about it.

    The French side did go back in front in the 54th minute when Bourigeaud got his second of the match, converting from the penalty spot after Martin Terrier had been fouled by Simon Kjaer.

    But they were again pegged back four minutes later as Milan made it 2-2 thanks to a fine Leao strike, the Portugal international guiding into the corner after a fine solo run.

    Bourigeaud claimed the matchball as Rennes took the lead for the third time in the match as he again emphatically scored from the penalty spot after VAR had spotted a foul by Jovic.

    That left them with 22 minutes of normal time to try and muster two goals and, although they attacked with intent and bluster they could not forge any real chances.

  • Wataru Endo: Carabao Cup win would give Liverpool ‘extra energy’ for more titles Wataru Endo: Carabao Cup win would give Liverpool ‘extra energy’ for more titles

    Liverpool midfielder Wataru Endo believes victory in the Carabao Cup final will provide the extra energy required to maintain their challenge on three other fronts.

    Sunday’s meeting is a repeat of the Reds’ 2022 encounter with Chelsea at Wembley which Jurgen Klopp’s side eventually won 11-10 on penalties with only one player – goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga – missing.

    However, only four of that Liverpool starting XI are likely to be in this weekend’s team – Mohamed Salah would be a fifth but is currently doubtful with a minor issue after making his comeback from a hamstring problem at Brentford – as a result of some high-profile departures and a raft of injuries.

    The extent of the injury crisis was laid bare in Wednesday’s 4-1 win over Luton, in which Klopp named a bench with three defenders and four academy players, and should that situation continue it could seriously hamper Liverpool’s bid to contend in the Premier League – which they lead – the FA Cup and Europa League.

    But Endo said nothing gives players a boost like winning a trophy and for a large number of the Reds’ team – the Japan international included – Sunday will be their first chance at the club.

    “If we could win this first one I think it would have a really positive impact on the other competitions we’re competing in,” said the £16million summer signing.

    “Winning at Wembley would give us extra energy for the challenges ahead. I’m so excited to play there. It will be my first time at such a special stadium.

    “It would mean a lot to me. It would be my first title with Liverpool and I’m focused on doing everything I can to help the team win the final.

    “The manager has spoken to us about staying positive and needing to show that we are Liverpool. We did that against Luton.

    “We don’t think too much about injured players, we just focus on the next game in front of us.”

    Sunday is the first significant milestone in Klopp’s long goodbye after he announced his decision to leave at the end of the season.

    Endo was away at the Asian Cup when the news broke but the 31-year-old, who has proved his critics wrong after being viewed as an emergency stop-gap holding midfielder, is keen to repay the manager’s faith.

    “I was sad to hear about that. I really enjoy playing for him and playing football the way he plays,” he said.

    “It’s disappointing but I really want us to achieve titles for him before he goes.

    “I’ve only played for Jurgen for one season. Others have been here a lot longer so maybe they have more emotion but he has helped me so much.”

     

    View this post on Instagram

    A post shared by Liverpool Football Club (@liverpoolfc)

    After a tough introduction to English football the former Stuttgart midfielder has cemented his place as the team’s anchor, fulfilling a role which Alexis Mac Allister had been asked to do after Fabinho departed to Saudi Arabia in the summer.

     

    “It’s hard to play for Liverpool. There’s always a lot of pressure,” Endo added.

    “Playing in the Premier League is tough but this is something I wanted for a long time and I try to make sure I enjoy it and do my best every time.

    “I feel like I’ve developed over the course of the season and that has helped to give me confidence.”

  • Xabi Alonso has ‘nothing new to say’ about Liverpool and Bayern Munich links Xabi Alonso has ‘nothing new to say’ about Liverpool and Bayern Munich links

    Bayer Leverkusen head coach Xabi Alonso has insisted there is “nothing new to say” regarding fresh speculation over his future.

    Alonso has been heavily linked with the Liverpool job since Jurgen Klopp announced last month he would step down at the end of the campaign, but the Premier League club now face competition from Bayern Munich.

    It was revealed on Wednesday that current Bayern boss Thomas Tuchel will leave his position at the conclusion of the season – increasing the scrutiny on Alonso.

    The former Liverpool and Bayern midfielder has enjoyed an excellent campaign in charge of Leverkusen, establishing an eight-point lead at the Bundesliga summit and guiding them through to the last 16 of the Europa League ahead of Friday’s league visit of Mainz.

    Alonso faced the media on Thursday and started his press conference by shutting down speculation over his future.

    “Maybe you have some questions about my future, but I’m sorry, I have nothing new to say. I wanted to say that beforehand,” he told a press conference, via Bild.

    “Right now I’m the (Leverkusen) coach. That’s for sure. I have nothing new to say for the future. We will see. It’s normal that there are questions, but it’s off topic now. Now is not the time for me to talk much about it.”

    Asked if Bayern had contacted him since the Tuchel announcement, Alonso replied: “I understand the question, but I have to say again that I have nothing new to say. It’s just hypothetical.”

     

    View this post on Instagram

    A post shared by Bundesliga (@bundesliga)

     

    The 42-year-old also insisted it had been a normal week for his squad and claimed he was currently preparing to be Leverkusen boss next season given his contract runs until 2026.

    He said: “I’m assuming that right now.

    “This week was normal. It was quiet for us. We had three training sessions. That is normal.

    “I know that it is my goal, it is my job, to be successful with the team. This is my work. We are in a very good situation right now. We want to continue like this. That’s enough for me.”

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.