Premier League players held out of World Cup qualifiers cleared to play after threat of ban

By Sports Desk September 10, 2021

Central and South American players who were barred from travelling to World Cup qualifiers by their Premier League teams will be available this weekend after their countries backed down from a request to ban them under FIFA rules. 

Players from Brazil, Mexico, Chile and Paraguay are cleared to play as their national federations agreed late Friday to waive a measure that would have compelled the players to sit out after their clubs refused to release them for international duty. 

Premier League teams last month decided to prevent players from nations on the United Kingdom's COVID-19 "red list" to participate in Qatar 2022 qualifiers, citing the UK's requirement that people who have travelled to those countries quarantine for 10 days upon their return. 

There had been some indications earlier Friday that the players might be available, but official word did not come down until shortly before midnight London time. 

Brazilians now available to their clubs Saturday include Ederson and Gabriel Jesus of Manchester City, Chelsea's Thiago Silva and Manchester United's Fred. 

Among players from other nations involved, Wolves can use Mexico's Raul Jimenez on Saturday, while Newcastle will have Paraguay's Miguel Almiron available, and Watford can play Chile's Francisco Sierralta 

Liverpool will be most relieved, with Alisson, Fabinho and Roberto Firmino cleared to face Raphina and Leeds on Sunday. 

Earlier Friday, Jurgen Klopp said at a news conference that he hoped a solution could be reached for the benefit of all parties involved. 

"It is a really difficult situation and really tricky for all the clubs, and the players especially," Klopp said. "We should not forget at this moment that the players wanted to play these games, the clubs wanted to let the players go but it was not possible."

Related items

  • Hibernian’s Chris Cadden facing long spell out with suspected Achilles injury Hibernian’s Chris Cadden facing long spell out with suspected Achilles injury

    Hibernian’s Chris Cadden is facing the prospect of missing most of next season amid fears that he ruptured his Achilles tendon in Saturday’s 1-1 draw with 10-man Hearts at Tynecastle.

    The 26-year-old was carried off in clear distress after landing awkwardly while making a headed clearance in his own box midway through the second half.

    Hibs also lost Jake Doyle-Hayes after he dislocated his shoulder in an eventful showdown in Gorgie, while manager Lee Johnson confirmed afterwards that on-loan Burnley defender CJ Egan-Riley, who suffered a hamstring injury in Wednesday’s win over Celtic, will be out well into the new campaign.

    The injury to Cadden is of most concern, however, with players typically out for the best part of a year when damaging their Achilles.

    “Not good, they look like bad ones, so our thoughts go out to them,” said Johnson when asked for an update after the Hearts match.

    “I think Jake’s dislocated his shoulder and Cadds may have ruptured his Achilles, so that’s not good, obviously.

    “With CJ’s hamstring as well, it looks like he’s going to be out for three or four months, so that’s three big players.

    “Two are on contract but one potentially we could have got back next year, so we will have to rethink with a short summer ahead of us.”

    Despite playing for an hour with an extra man after Alex Cochrane’s dismissal, Hibs – who equalised through Kevin Nisbet after Yutaro Oda’s early opener – were unable to find the winner that would have lifted them above Hearts into fourth place in the table and guaranteed them European football next term.

    The fifth-placed Hibees will still get a crack at the Europa Conference League as long as Celtic beat Inverness in next Saturday’s Scottish Cup final.

    “I’m proud of the second half of the season,” said Johnson, reflecting on his first campaign at Easter Road.

    “If I look at the big picture now of where we are compared to where we were, we’re in a fantastic place to progress.

    “I will make changes over the summer, without a question of a doubt, there will be ins and outs. I’m not finished, we’re not finished.

    “Everything is looking up, the points tally (eight out of 15) in the top six has been good.

    “I felt we should have beaten Aberdeen which potentially could have been another two points.

    “We’ve got the summer to build that 30 per cent within the squad that we’re after – a bit more quality, change the dynamic a little bit, freshen the group up and then we go again.”

    Steven Naismith, who oversaw two wins, three draws and two defeats in his seven games in interim charge of Hearts, declared himself “ready for management”.

    “This period was definitely a big indicator,” said the 36-year-old.

    “I have spoken to clubs in the past but you have this feeling of ‘am I ready?’, And every manager I’ve spoken to has said that if you could coach for 10 years you will never know when you’re ready, but what this has done is give me a taste of it and I know I’m ready and I think I’ve shown that.

    “These are the five hardest fixtures of the season, at a time when the squad is really low and I’m proud of what we’ve done. I’m ready for it.

    “The conversations will now start to see whether I’m the man to take Hearts forward or not but I’m looking forward to those conversations.”

  • Rob Edwards relieved to hear skipper Tom Lockyer is doing OK after Luton win Rob Edwards relieved to hear skipper Tom Lockyer is doing OK after Luton win

    Rob Edwards’ delight at Luton ending their 31-year wait for Premier League football was nothing compared to the relief he felt at the news captain Tom Lockyer was all right.

    Saturday’s Sky Bet Championship play-off final went the distance at a packed Wembley, where the Hatters rallied after their skipper’s worryingly collapse early on.

    Jordan Clark put Luton into a deserved lead that Coventry midfielder Gustavo Hamer cancelled out in the second half, with the match ending 1-1 after 90 minutes and extra-time.

    Joe Taylor saw a winner ruled out just before spot-kicks, with Fankaty Dabo’s sudden-death miss sealing a 6-5 shoot-out triumph that propelled Luton back into the top-flight for the first time since 1992.

    The dramatic triumph means the Hatters will welcome Manchester City and Co just nine years after facing the likes of Salisbury and Hyde in the Conference Premier.

    Luton boss Edwards said: “I felt a bit numb. I just made sure I shook Mark’s hand and his staff.

    “I don’t want to be that guy that just starts running off and celebrating before I’ve seen the other manager.

    “I just felt very numb. I still do. It hasn’t sunk in quite yet. It might take a few days, but it’s great. It does feel good.

    “It was mixed because of Locks (Lockyer), that’s why I couldn’t really go for it celebrating.”

    This is a day that will live long in the memory of anybody connected to Luton, whose players held a Lockyer shirt throughout the celebrations.

    The Hatters captain collapsed when running back to defence in the early stages of the final, leaving the field on a stretcher and being taken to hospital for tests.

    Luton confirmed Lockyer was “responsive and talking to his family”, with his dad posting an image of him in a hospital bed celebrating the shoot-out win.

    Edwards cried with delight when he saw that image and hopes to soon celebrate with the much-loved skipper.

    “If we can we will (see him in hospital),” he said of Lockyer, who is expected to be kept in overnight. “But I don’t want to get in the way and if I’m not allowed then I won’t.

    “If I’m allowed I would love to go and see him, but then I think we’re so tight as a group that I’m not sure if 40-odd people are allowed to go and see him in hospital.

    “We will have to check on that, but I’m just so thankful that he’s OK because that’s all that matters.

    “I wasn’t really able to enjoy any celebration at the end because all I cared about was Locks.”

    As for Coventry, it was a heartbreaking end to a memorable season.

    Bottom of the table in October and taken over at the start of the year, boss Mark Robins was agonisingly close to leading the Sky Blues from League Two to the top flight.

    “Firstly, congratulations to Luton because once the game is over and done with you’ve got to congratulate the winners,” the long-serving Coventry boss said.

    “They’ve come out on top today, however tight the game may have been.

    “Congratulations to them and their supporters. I think they have been outstanding all season and good luck to them moving forward.

    “I think for us, certainly the opposite of their joy is pain.

    “You certainly feel a bit of pain, but once that pain starts to dissipate in however long it takes for it to go, we’ve got to reflect on what an unbelievable achievement it’s been just to even be here today in a play-off final.

    “The division is very, very tough as we all know and unfortunately we couldn’t make that next step.”

  • On This Day in 2011: Lionel Messi stars as Barcelona win Champions League On This Day in 2011: Lionel Messi stars as Barcelona win Champions League

    Lionel Messi produced a Wembley masterclass as Barcelona beat Manchester United 3-1 in the Champions League final on this day in 2011 to become European champions for a fourth time.

    Pep Guardiola won his second Champions League as Barca head coach in three years after a dominant performance from his side.

    They reached the final after defeating El Clasico rivals Real Madrid 3-1 on aggregate in the last four, with United sweeping aside Schalke 6-1 in their semi-final.

    Guardiola’s side outplayed United in the first half, enjoying 68 per cent possession and having 22 shots, but were still level at half-time as Pedro’s opener was cancelled out by Wayne Rooney, who side-footed home from 15 yards after a one-two with Ryan Giggs.

    Barca’s dominance continued after the break with Messi, who moments earlier had seen a shot cleared off the line by Patrice Evra, firing in a low shot from 25 yards.

    Messi’s dribbling then caused panic in the United defence and David Villa capitalised to whip a shot into the top corner from just outside the penalty area and secure Barcelona’s third Champions League title in six years.

    Eric Abidal, who had undergone surgery only two months earlier to remove a tumour in his liver, was given the honour of wearing the captain’s armband during the presentation ceremony and he was the first player to lift the trophy.

    After the match Guardiola hailed Messi as “the best player I have ever seen”, while United boss Sir Alex Ferguson said: “In my time as manager it is the best team we have faced.”

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.