EPL

Van de Beek determined to earn Man Utd place after positive Solskjaer talks

By Sports Desk September 06, 2021

Donny van de Beek is determined to win a place in the Manchester United side after positive talks with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer – although he admits his time in England has been "so hard".

Signed from Ajax last September for an initial £34.7million (€39m), the Netherlands international scored on his Premier League debut in a home defeat to Crystal Palace.

The midfielder has since found first-team football hard to come by. He has only started four league matches for the Red Devils, playing just 1,460 minutes of football, fewer than back-up defenders Eric Bailly and Alex Telles.

Van de Beek's agent suggested there was a chance to join Everton in the transfer window, with United's signings of Jadon Sancho and Cristiano Ronaldo further limiting his client's chances of playing, but there was no progress on any possible move away.

Now, Van de Beek says manager Solskjaer has made it clear he will get his opportunities to impress, even though the 24-year-old has yet to get on the pitch for United this season.

Speaking to Vibe with Five, he said: "First year, you come from another competition and it's normal you need time to adapt. But of course, you're not happy. I want to play – that's clear.

"It's so hard. Of course, also mentally, it's so difficult. The only thing you can do [is] I train really hard every day, I try to improve and you just wait for your chance. If the moment is there, I have to be ready.

"If you're lost or anything, just talk with players, be a part of the team. If you're not playing, try to help them and be positive. You can sit there and just be angry, but that's not the key to come in the team.

"You need to be involved with the team. Sometimes you're angry, every player has that. You're not going to show them if you're not training hard any more. You give the manager a reason to play without you.

"I speak with the manager about it, the club, and they were clear they want me to stay. The manager was really positive about me and said, 'I need you, I want to keep you here because what I see now, in training, I see a different Donny now'. He was really positive about me.

"He saw a big difference, a little bit stronger now and he can see I have a one-year experience in England now.

"I need to trust him. If he doesn't need me, I think he will let me go. I think he has plans with me. I just need to work hard and I hope I can show the people what I can [do].

"You can never promise a player if he will play or not, but I think I agree that I have to play more. You can train hard every day but, in the end, you need game time to show your best shape. If you play once in a month, you cannot show your best. That's really important."

Despite the intense competition for places, Van de Beek was delighted with United's transfer business, which also saw them bring in Raphael Varane from Real Madrid.

"To be with these players is fantastic," he said. "That's what we need: winners. I'm really positive about us this season. I think we can make big steps now.

"The level will go up, for sure. If good players join the team, the level goes up. You train with maybe 24 players, but good players can make a difference."

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Ronaldo's warning, Bayern to consider Lewandowski sale Rumour Has It: Ronaldo's warning, Bayern to consider Lewandowski sale

    Cristiano Ronaldo's dream homecoming to Manchester United has not gone quite to plan so far.

    While Ronaldo has scored 14 goals in 22 games – double the amount of any other United player – his team have otherwise struggled this term.

    And with United in a serious battle to qualify for next season's Champions League, an early parting of the ways could be on the cards.

     

    TOP STORY – RONALDO'S TOP-FOUR ULTIMATUM

    Ronaldo's representatives have informed United that the superstar forward will leave if the club miss out on a top-four finish in the Premier League, according to The Sun.

    The Portugal international, who penned a two-year contract in August with the option of a further year, is said to be concerned by the direction in which United are heading.

    Ralf Rangnick's side beat Brentford 3-1 on Tuesday but still remain seventh, albeit now just two points off fourth-placed West Ham with a game in hand.

    Serial winner Ronaldo last week questioned the attitude of some of his United team-mates and then reacted angrily to being substituted off during the win at Brentford.


    ROUND-UP

    Bayern Munich will consider selling Robert Lewandowski at the end of the season if their talisman turns down the offer of a new deal, according to Bild. Lewandowski, who received The Best FIFA Men's Player of the Year on Monday, is out of contract at the end of 2022-23.

    – Goal reports that Atletico Madrid have no intention of allowing Luis Suarez to complete a sensational return to the Premier League this month. The former Liverpool striker had been touted as a target for Aston Villa, who are now under the management of his old team-mate Steven Gerrard.

    Chelsea have set their sights on a trio of Barcelona players, reports El Nacional. Blues boss Thomas Tuchel is said to be particularly keen on Frenkie de Jong, while full-back Sergino Dest and youngster Gavi are also targets.

    – Meanwhile, Sport say that Barca are interested in Chelsea's Andreas Christensen. Barca are hoping to reach a pre-contract agreement with the defender this month.

    Newcastle United must fend off competition from another Premier League club for the signing of Sevilla centre-back Diego Carlos, claims Sky Sports. The Magpies are also reported to be interested in Jesse Lingard.

    Arsenal striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is the subject of a loan bid, with an obligation to buy, from Saudi Arabian club Al-Nassr. The Gabon international is out of the picture under Mikel Arteta and may be granted permission to leave for the rest of 2021-22. Goal are reporting that story.

  • Irving stars again in contentious Nets win, struggling Pacers stun Lakers Irving stars again in contentious Nets win, struggling Pacers stun Lakers

    The Brooklyn Nets clinched a contentious one-point win over the Washington Wizards, with Kyrie Irving the star man for the visiting team.

    Irving had 30 points, three rebounds and seven assists as the Nets triumphed 119-118 on Wednesday, with Kyle Kuzma and Spencer Dinwiddie missing late three-pointers in the closing seconds for the Wizards.

    Kuzma was left infuriated, however, as he reflected on a moment earlier in the fourth quarter when it appeared a member of the Brooklyn bench purposefully deflected a pass that had been headed his way.

    Nevertheless, Kuzma and his Washington team-mates must reflect on an opportunity missed as they were unable to build on their 117-98 win over the Philadelphia 76ers.

    The Wizards are now 23-22 for the season and sit eighth in the Eastern Conference, five places behind the 28-16 Nets.

    Brooklyn were without talisman Kevin Durant, but Irving – who can only play in road games due to his refusal to be vaccinated against COVID-19 – stepped up.

    Irving scored 22 of his 30 points in the first half and has averaged 20.0 points per game since his return to the team.

    Pacers stun LeBron's Lakers

    LeBron James brought up his 10,000th career regular-season rebound but his 30-point haul was not enough as the Los Angeles Lakers slumped to a 111-104 home defeat to the struggling Indiana Pacers.

    James' double-double could not stem the Pacers' tide in a fourth-quarter blitz as Indiana, 13th in the East, inflicted a fourth defeat on the Lakers in the space of five games and increased the pressure on Los Angeles coach Frank Vogel.

    It is just the second win in 12 games for Indiana, who snapped a four-game losing streak. Caris LeVert had 30 points, while Domantas Sabonis hit a triple-double of 20 points, 12 rebounds and 10 assists.

    It was a miserable night all-round for Los Angeles teams, with the Clippers slipping to a 130-128 overtime defeat in Denver.

    Nikola Jokic had a triple-double of 49 points – the second-best tally of his career in a single game, after a 50-point showing against the Sacramento Kings last season – 14 rebounds and 10 assists, the last of which teed up Aaron Gordon for the winning three-pointer with 1.9 seconds remaining in OT.

    Bucks down depleted Grizzlies, Embiid hits 50

    Reigning NBA champions the Milwaukee Bucks capitalised on the Memphis Grizzlies' lack of star power as they claimed a 126-114 win.

    Giannis Antetokounmpo finished with 33 points and 15 rebounds for the Bucks, who took advantage of Memphis being without two of their leading scorers in Dillon Brooks and Desmond Bane, though Ja Morant (33 points, 14 assists) gave his all for the Grizzlies.

    Elsewhere, Joel Embiid scored 50 points in only 27 minutes in a 123-110 victory for Philadelphia over the Orlando Magic.

    Embiid is now the third player in Sixers history to have multiple games with 50 points or more, while he reached 50 points and 10 rebounds quicker than any NBA player since 1955.

  • Australian Open: Victorious Cornet 'ready for the next chapter' with grand slam record in sight Australian Open: Victorious Cornet 'ready for the next chapter' with grand slam record in sight

    Alize Cornet is simply living in the moment at the Australian Open, after she suggested 2022 will be her final year on the court.

    Cornet defeated reigning WTA Finals champion Garbine Muguruza 6-3 6-3 on Thursday to reach the third round of the Australian Open for the sixth time in her career.

    The 31-year-old did not offer up a single break point across the 87-minute encounter with 2020 Australian Open finalist Muguruza, who entered the tournament ranked third in the world.

    It marked Cornet's third straight win over Spain's Muguruza, who is a two-time grand slam champion.

    Cornet is playing in her 63rd grand slam and 17th Australian Open, yet the Frenchwoman has never progressed deeper than the fourth round at a major.

    This is Cornet's 60th successive appearance in the main draw at a grand slam, meaning she is just two shy of the record held by Ai Sugiyama (62).

    Should Cornet, who will play Tamara Zidansek in round three, feature in the main draw of each of this year's majors, she will set the outright record.

    However, should she achieve that feat, it may well mark the end of her career.

    "I'm telling myself that I'm playing probably my last year. I'm not sure yet," she told reporters.

    "When I stepped on the court, I was like, You know what, just enjoy the moment because you don't know if you're going to come back. I think that's what made the difference.

    "Playing a whole year, playing 100 per cent, trying to beat this record of consecutive play in a grand slam. After that, I think it will be a good time for me to retire. 

    "I gave so much to this game and to this tennis life. I feel I'm pretty much ready for the next chapter.

    "It's been a while [since I] beat a Top 5 player in a slam, so it's a really good feeling. 

    "I really enjoyed it today, which doesn't mean I will enjoy it tomorrow! That's why when the fun is here, you have to take it. You never know how you're going to feel in the next match."

    Muguruza was not the only big name to drop out on Thursday, with sixth seed Anett Kontaveit falling foul of teenager Clara Tauson.

    The 19-year-old Dane needed just 79 minutes to seal a 6-2 6-4 victory that brings up her first win over a Top 10 opponent in only her second such match.

    Kontaveit won 28 of her last 32 matches in 2021 to break into the Top 10.

    "It's the first time I'm in the third round of a slam," said Tauson. 

    "Playing a player like her to reach it, it's a really big achievement for me. Obviously, it was one of the things I really wanted to do, to beat the good players in the bigger tournaments.

    "Doing it in a slam is a really great feeling. It's just a lot of hard work that I've put into it."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.