EPL

There is nobody better! – Luis Enrique 'would love' for Guardiola to take over as next Spain boss

By Sports Desk August 26, 2021

Luis Enrique insists there is nobody better than Pep Guardiola to succeed him as Spain's next head coach.

Guardiola revealed this week he intends to leave Manchester City when his contract expires at the end of next season and explore opportunities at international level.

Spain could be on the lookout for a new leader at that point, with Luis Enrique's deal set to expire after the next World Cup at the end of 2022.

The La Roja job would be an obvious choice for Guardiola, who won 47 caps for his country, and Luis Enrique would be happy to see his former team-mate take up the role.

"I would love that. It would be perfect to see his mark on the national team," Luis Enrique said at a news conference on Thursday.

"I don't think Spain could have a better coach than Pep Guardiola. I'm sure he would do a great job."

Luis Enrique was speaking after naming his squad for Spain's World Cup qualifiers against Sweden, Georgia and Kosovo over the next fortnight.

Like at Euro 2020, there are no Real Madrid players in Spain's 24-man group, while Sergio Ramos – who has since joined Paris Saint-Germain – is once again absent.

Ramos has not played since May and ex-Barcelona boss Luis Enrique, previously accused of showing anti-Madrid bias, has defended his latest team selection.

"The situation with Sergio is the same as last season," he said. "Sergio has not been able to compete in a single game since we gave the last list.

"As for the selection, my actions respond better than my words."

Euro 2020 semi-finalists Spain have won two and drawn one of their opening three World Cup qualifiers and lead the way at the top of Group B.

Related items

  • Diaz set for Milan return after testing negative for coronavirus Diaz set for Milan return after testing negative for coronavirus

    Milan playmaker Brahim Diaz is poised for a first-team return after testing negative for coronavirus.

    The Spaniard has missed the last three games for the Rossoneri after contracting COVID-19.

    Diaz, 22, was forced to isolate while Milan secured Serie A wins over Hellas Verona and Bologna either side of a Champions League defeat to Porto.

    Ahead of Milan's clash with Torino on Tuesday, the San Siro club said on their website: "AC Milan announces that Brahim Diaz has tested negative to the COVID-19 swab test."

    Diaz, on loan from Real Madrid, has scored three goals in Serie A this season and provided one assist.

    Stefano Pioli's side will go top of the table if they avoid defeat at home against Torino.

  • Rumour Has It: Man City plot move for Barcelona's De Jong Rumour Has It: Man City plot move for Barcelona's De Jong

    Manchester City had a relatively quiet off-season in the transfer market.

    City landed Jack Grealish from Aston Villa in a big-money move but failed in their efforts to sign Tottenham star Harry Kane following Sergio Aguero's exit.

    But the Premier League champions could be more active in the January transfer window.

     

    TOP STORY – CITY PLAN FOR DE JONG SWOOP

    Manchester City are plotting a move for Barcelona star midfielder Frenkie de Jong, according to Calciomercato.

    De Jong, who also has interest from Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich, signed a five-year deal with Barcelona effective from July 2019, tying him down to 2024.

    The 24-year-old Netherlands international has made 11 appearances in all competitions this season and is yet to score.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Fabrizio Romano claims Manchester United have made no official proposal for former Chelsea and Inter boss Antonio Conte yet amid doubts over the future of Red Devils manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer following Sunday's 5-0 rout at the hands of Liverpool. Zinedine Zidane and Ajax's Erik ten Hag are also possible options.

    - Manchester United's wantaway Dutch midfielder Donny van de Beek is preparing to make a January move with Voetbal International claiming he has swapped agents. EvertonNewcastle United and Juventus are all interested in Van de Beek, per Metro.

    Paris Saint-Germain will switch their attention to Bayern midfielder Corentin Tolisso if they cannot secure a move for Manchester United's Paul Pogba, reports Calciomercato. Pogba has also been linked with Juve and Real Madrid.

    Newcastle and Juve are contending to sign Barca forward Ousmane Dembele, according to Sport. Dembele is set to exit Barca at the end of this season and his agent has reportedly been in touch with both clubs about a move, while Liverpool and United are also possible destinations.

  • Giroud focused on winning Scudetto with Milan Giroud focused on winning Scudetto with Milan

    Milan forward Olivier Giroud is focused on winning Serie A with the Rossoneri as he targets league success.

    A Champions League victor in 2020-21 before leaving Chelsea for Milan, Giroud has not won a league crown since conquering Ligue 1 with Montpellier in 2011-12.

    Milan – without a Scudetto since 2011 – are level atop the Serie A table alongside Napoli through nine rounds after their enthralling 4-2 win at nine-man Bologna last week.

    "I used to say football is an everlasting new beginning and you must always be ready for the next challenge," France international Giroud, who has three goals in five Serie A appearances this season, told Football Ramble podcast.

    "That's one of my regrets in my career, it's not to have finished the job by winning the European Cup with France at home to Portugal. Another is not winning the Premier League with Arsenal or Chelsea.

    "I still have a lot of hopes regarding winning another league with my new club and I am focused on it."

    Stefano Pioli oversaw his 100th match in charge of Milan across all competitions following Saturday's triumph over Bologna.

    He has won 56 of those games, exactly as many as Massimiliano Allegri had recorded with the Rossoneri after the same tally of games.

    "This might sound like a threat for someone, but I expect to reach at least another 100 more," Milan head coach Pioli said.

    Milan have won eight of their opening nine games of a Serie A season for the second time in their history – previously in 1954-55.

    Pioli's Milan, meanwhile, have equalled their record of away wins in a single calendar year in Serie A thanks to 14 victories, as in 1964.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.