EPL

Spurs need everybody – Nuno satisfied with Kane's return to action

By Sports Desk August 22, 2021

Nuno Espirito Santo was happy with Harry Kane's display as a substitute in Tottenham's 1-0 victory over Wolves on Sunday.

Dele Alli's penalty – the midfielder's first Premier League goal since March 2020 – proved decisive at Molineux as Nuno got one over on his former club.

Spurs talisman Kane, a transfer target for Manchester City, missed the opening two games of the season – a win over the champions and a defeat to Pacos de Ferreira in Europa Conference League qualifying – but returned to a rapturous welcome from the travelling support.

Kane came on in the 72nd minute, and perhaps showed just why Nuno has been reluctant to call on him so far, away from the transfer speculation.

It has been widely reported that Kane would like to join City, but the 28-year-old has also only had one week of training since returning from an extended break following Euro 2020.

Kane had 14 touches, attempted nine passes and had one shot during his time on the pitch – Jose Sa closing down a close-range effort from the England captain.

The opportunity, teed up brilliantly by Steven Bergwijn, had an expected goals (xG) estimation of 0.336, making it the second-best chance of the game from open play, after an attempt which Adama Traore drilled straight at Hugo Lloris at the other end.

While a fully firing Kane would no doubt have converted the opportunity, Nuno was nevertheless pleased with what the striker showed in his cameo.

"I think he did well. He helped the team. He had a good chance," Nuno told a news conference. 

"Harry is still in the process of increasing and improving his level of fitness, but because he's one of the best players in the world you could see the way he helped the team in terms of possession and the fine lines. We need everybody, we need everybody."

Asked if Kane would be involved on Thursday, in the home leg of Spurs' tie with Pacos de Ferreira, Nuno replied: "I cannot answer that, it's too soon.

"Now we are going to recover and prepare for the next one. Like we always do the same way and make the decisions that we should take."

While Kane made his comeback, it was Alli who was the difference. After an impressive showing against City last week, the midfielder coolly converted the ninth-minute spot-kick that he won.

Tottenham have now only lost one of their 45 Premier League games in which Alli has scored (W35 D9 L1), and Nuno hailed the 25-year-old's performance.

"He's working very hard. I think all the team is working hard," Nuno said.

"We still have a long way to go and are working very hard to improve, the relationship between players and being very versatile enough.

"He scored in the beginning of the game and in the last minutes of the game he was running all over the pitch so that shows the level of fitness that he has and the belief that he has. A huge, huge help."

Related items

  • Returning Rahul eager to create more 'great memories' in Zimbabwe Returning Rahul eager to create more 'great memories' in Zimbabwe

    KL Rahul is determined to add to the "great memories" of facing Zimbabwe when he returns as captain in a three-match ODI series.

    Rahul has not played for almost three months after undergoing a hernia operation and suffering with COVID-19.

    The batter has been passed fit to lead India at Harare Sports Club, where the opening match of the series will be staged on Thursday, with VVS Laxman stepping in as India head coach while Rahul Dravid takes a break.

    Rahul scored an unbeaten century on his ODI debut at the same venue six years ago and is eager to make up for lost time.

    He told reporters on Wednesday: "My ODI and T20I debut was in Harare. I got a 100 in my first game, so I have great memories here.

    "Hopefully I can add on to those memories. Coming back here after so many years and getting the opportunity to lead your country, obviously when you look back, it's very pleasing.

    "As a person you can see how much you've grown and how far you've come as a player. It gives me great joy. Hopefully I can add to those good memories and play some good cricket over the next week."

    India suffered a 3-0 series defeat to South Africa in Rahul's only previous series as skipper, but the tourists will be expected to dish out a whitewash of their own in Harare.

    Shikhar Dhawan captained India to a 3-0 clean sweep of West Indies in the 50-over format last month and the opener will be vice-captain as they look for a fourth consecutive series triumph.

    Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli and Rishabh Pant are among the players who have been rested ahead of the Asia Cup. Shahbaz Ahmed will be hoping to make his debut after the all-rounder replaced the injured Washington Sundar.

    Zimbabwe ended a three-year wait for an ODI series win by beating Bangladesh 2-1, but this will be a much bigger challenge. 

    Regis Chakabva will skipper the hosts in the absence of Craig Ervine, who is out with a torn hamstring.

     

    Chahar must make his mark

    Deepak Chahar will make his long-awaited return after a six-month absence due to quad and back injuries.

    With so much competition for places, the seamer will know he must take his chance. The 30-year-old was not included in India's Asia Cup squad, but he is on standby.

    Raza key to Zimbabwe's hopes

    Sikandar Raza was named player of the series in Zimbabwe's triumph over the Tigers this month.

    The all-rounder scored two centuries, as well as taking five wickets, and Zimbabwe will look to him to contribute again with both bat and ball.

  • South Africa dominate rain-affected first day at Lord's South Africa dominate rain-affected first day at Lord's

    South Africa took control on a rain-affected opening day of the first Test against England as their pace attack fired at Lord's.

    Just 32 overs were possible on Wednesday, yet there was enough time for the Proteas to reduce Ben Stokes' side to 116-6.

    Anrich Nortje claimed 3-43 and the fit-again Kagiso Rabada took 2-36 in a ruthless display from the fast bowlers before the heavens opened in London.

    Under-pressure opener Zak Crawley fell for only nine, with Alex Lees the first man to depart for five as Rabada struck twice early on his return from injury.

    Joe Root was unable to provide any respite as he departed leg before to Marco Jansen (1-18) before Jonny Bairstow was clean bowled for a duck by Nortje.

    Stokes (20) and Ollie Pope (61 not out) added 45 runs for the fifth wicket, but the captain was squared up by Nortje's final ball of the morning session and caught at third slip by Keegan Petersen.

    Having lost five wickets prior to lunch, Ben Foakes became Nortje's third victim when he was cleaned up by a ripper and rain forced the end of play two deliveries later.

    To cover the loss of overs on day one of the first Test in the three-match series, the remaining four days will now see 98 overs per day, with dry weather forecast.

     

    England blown away by Proteas pace attack

    The wicket of Foakes was Nortje's 50th in Test cricket in his 13th match, his raw pace proving far too hot for England's batters to handle.

    Rabada was also hugely impressive a dominant display from the tourists and he is now five wickets away from 250 for South Africa.

    Pope provides some hope

    England have won their past four Tests, making this their best-such run since a five-match streak in 2018, but they already have their work cut out after a poor start at Lord's.

    Pope provided the only positive with that his eighth Test half-century, though even then he had the fortune of being dropped by Peterson on 45.

  • Ronaldo cautioned by Merseyside Police over incident involving Everton fan Ronaldo cautioned by Merseyside Police over incident involving Everton fan

    Cristiano Ronaldo has been cautioned by Merseyside Police over an incident involving an Everton fan following Manchester United's defeat at Goodison Park last season.

    A video emerged on social media of United forward Ronaldo appearing to smash a supporter's phone as he left the field after the Toffees' 1-0 Premier League win in April.

    The Portugal captain issued an apology on Instagram, stating: "It's never easy to deal with emotions in difficult moments such as the one we are facing.

    "Nevertheless, we always have to be respectful, patient and set the example for all the youngsters who love the beautiful game.

    "I would like to apologise for my outburst and, if possible, I would like to invite this supporter to watch a game at Old Trafford as a sign of fair-play and sportsmanship.”

    Ronaldo has now been interviewed by police and given a caution.

    Merseyside Police said in a statement: "We can confirm that a 37-year-old man voluntarily attended and was interviewed under caution in relation to an allegation of assault and criminal damage.
     
    "The allegation relates to an incident following the Everton v Manchester United football match at Goodison Park on Saturday 9 April.
     
    "The matter has been dealt with by way of conditional caution. The matter has now concluded."

    The five-time Ballon d'Or winner could leave United before the transfer window closes on September 1, with his future the subject of constant speculation just under a year after he returned to the club.

     

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.