EPL

Fiorentina president plans to keep Vlahovic amid Tottenham and Man City rumours

By Sports Desk August 18, 2021

Fiorentina president Rocco Commisso has underlined his desire to keep hold of Dusan Vlahovic amid reported interest from Tottenham and Manchester City.

The Serbia international has long been linked with a move to Spurs, who could be forced into the market for a striker by the possible loss of Harry Kane to City in this transfer window.

However, it was reported on Wednesday that Pep Guardiola's men could well look to cut out the middle man and simply target the prolific Vlahovic themselves.

That does not look to be a particularly straightforward move either, with Fiorentina determined to keep hold of their star man.

"I said from the first day that I wanted to keep Vlahovic, just like I did with Federico Chiesa," Commisso said of the forward, whose contract expires in 2023, to ANSA.

"I spoke to Vlahovic the other day and believe he wants to stay in Florence, but then when family, agents and offers get involved…

"You never know where it's going to go, but I hope and think he will remain."

Commisso has recently come under fire for his running of Fiorentina since a 2019 takeover of the club was completed.

However, while the Italian-born businessman described last season as "disappointing", he defended his overall record at the helm.

"It's only right that I remind them that when I took over, Fiorentina were in 16th place and in one year I took them to 10th position," he added.

"No other foreign owners, after buying one of the most important clubs in Serie A, managed to improve their level by six places in the first year.

"As I said many times, last season was disappointing, but that does not authorise anyone to talk about a failed project, because that is not true.

"If someone wants to kick me out of Florence, then step forward and purchase Fiorentina. I don't see anyone walking up to the Viola door with money in hand. So far, all I've heard is cheap gossip."

Related items

  • Inter's Marotta dismisses interest in Fiorentina star Vlahovic Inter's Marotta dismisses interest in Fiorentina star Vlahovic

    Inter CEO Giuseppe Marotta downplayed interest in Dusan Vlahovic as clubs reportedly queue up to sign the Fiorentina star.

    Vlahovic is set to leave Fiorentina after opting against signing a new deal in Florence, with the Serbia international's current contract expiring in June 2023.

    The 21-year-old has been linked to Serie A champions Inter, Juventus, Premier League holders Manchester City, Manchester United, Bundesliga winners Bayern Munich, LaLiga titleholders Atletico Madrid, Tottenham and Arsenal.

    Marotta was asked about Inter's rumoured interest in the in-demand forward.

    "He is a talent, I know there is a conflictual situation with Fiorentina, but I hope they can solve their issues," Marotta said.

    "However, we have a good mix of young and experienced players in that department."

    Vlahovic has 28 Serie A goals in 2021 – no Fiorentina player has ever scored so many goals in a calendar year in the Italian top flight.

    Only Bayern talisman Robert Lewandowski has netted more in the top five European leagues this year.

    Vlahovic is also the third Fiorentina player to score at least 11 goals in the season's opening 14 Serie A matches since 2000.

  • Ballon d'Or: Lionel Messi unsure if his record haul can be beaten after seventh crown Ballon d'Or: Lionel Messi unsure if his record haul can be beaten after seventh crown

    Lionel Messi is not sure if his record will be broken after the Paris Saint-Germain and Argentina superstar won a seventh Ballon d'Or on Monday.

    Messi claimed the coveted award for a record-extending seventh time during a ceremony in Paris, while Bayern Munich talisman Robert Lewandowski won the inaugural Striker of the Year award and finished second in the Ballon d'Or voting.

    Many had backed Lewandowski to take home the prized individual honour, after France Football's 2020 Ballon d'Or was scrapped due to COVID-19 – the Bayern forward has scored 53 goals in 42 appearances in 2021, the most of any player in Europe's top five leagues across all competitions.

    But Messi added to his incredible haul after guiding Argentina to a drought-ending triumph at the Copa America – the country's first piece of silverware in 28 years, while he has netted 32 goals and supplied 12 assists across 40 club appearances for Barcelona and PSG this year.

    "I don't know if the record is beatable, I just have to accept it," the 34-year-old Messi told reporters, with Cristiano Ronaldo next on the list after winning the award five times.

    "But honestly, I don't know if this record seven Ballon d'Or's can be beaten. But seven anyhow is really impressive and I'm very happy to win it here in Paris.

    "Concerning [Liverpool star] Mohamed Salah, like [Robert] Lewandowski he will have other opportunities in the years to come. Both players are really at the best at what they've managed so far. They will have other opportunities to win the trophy."

    Messi scored four goals and provided five assists as he led the Albiceleste to their first Copa America title since 1993, involved in nine of the 12 goals scored by Argentina at the showpiece South American tournament.

    "I had a pretty good year with Barcelona without titles, however I did win the Copa del Rey," Argentina's captain and all-time leading scorer Messi added.

    "The Copa America was very important to help me win this Ballon d'Or. And yes, I am very proud to be the first PSG to conquer this Ballon d'Or. It's special to do so with another jersey and it makes me very proud.

    "This trophy really is special. It gives me a feeling of accomplishment with the Argentine national team. It was indeed a special year for me and of course it helped me in this new stage in my life, this move to PSG and my family and kids.

    "I know they enjoy the moment and I enjoy seeing them happy. Seeing my parents, cousins and brothers happy, too."

  • Ballon d'Or: Who won what at the 2021 awards Ballon d'Or: Who won what at the 2021 awards

    Paris Saint-Germain superstar Lionel Messi clinched a seventh Ballon d'Or, extending his record as the player to have won the individual accolade on the most occasions.

    The 34-year-old enjoyed a fruitful year at club level, scoring 32 times in 40 appearances across all competitions for PSG and Barcelona, but it was his exploits with Argentina that were most impressive, claiming the first major international trophy of his career by winning the Copa America. 

    Bayern Munich's prolific striker Robert Lewandowski came second to Messi, but became the first winner of the Striker of the Year award after outscoring every player in Europe's top five leagues, netting 53 times in 42 appearances across all competitions so far in 2021, averaging a goal every 67 minutes.

    Messi's PSG team-mate Gianluigi Donnarumma claimed the Yashin Trophy, awarded to the best goalkeeper, and was named 10th in the Ballon d'Or voting.

    Donnarumma starred for Italy as they won Euro 2020, making a number of crucial saves in the shoot-out victory over England in the final.

    Barcelona and Spain youngster Pedri won the Kopa Trophy after featuring heavily for club and country despite only turning 19 on November 25, also being shortlisted for the Ballon d'Or and finishing 24th.

    Another Barca midfielder, Alexia Putellas, picked up the women's top prize, having helped the Catalan giants' women's team to Champions League and domestic glory in 2020-21.

    Finally, Chelsea had 11 players nominated across all categories, making them the inaugural Club of the Year winners.

    Award winners in full:

    Men's Ballon d'Or – Lionel Messi (PSG and Argentina)
    Kopa Trophy – Pedri (Barcelona and Spain)
    Yashin Trophy – Gianluigi Donnarumma (PSG and Italy)
    Club of the Year – Chelsea (England)
    Striker of the Year – Robert Lewandowski (Bayern Munich and Poland)
    Women's Ballon d'Or – Alexia Putellas (Barcelona and Spain)

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.