EPL

Man Utd waiting on Varane medical, Henderson still recovering from coronavirus

By Sports Desk August 07, 2021

Raphael Varane is expected to formally complete his transfer to Manchester United in the coming days as he waits to undergo a medical.

United reached an agreement to sign the centre-back from Real Madrid last month, with the deal reportedly worth £42.7million (€50m).

Varane, who was in action with France at Euro 2020, said farewell to his former Madrid team-mates at the end of July, but could not complete a medical until he had isolated upon his arrival in the United Kingdom, due to current COVID-19 travel restrictions.

With both Varane and fellow new arrival Jadon Sancho absent, United still cruised to a 4-0 rout of Everton in their final pre-season friendly before kicking off their Premier League campaign against Leeds United next week.

And Ole Gunnar Solskjaer confirmed Varane's deal will be finalised as soon as the 28-year-old has completed his period in quarantine.

"With Raphael, the medical has to be done. He's isolating at the moment," Solskjaer told reporters after the win over Everton.

"He had to wait for visas, so unfortunately that took a few more days than expected but we've got to follow the protocols and the rules."

Solskjaer also revealed Sancho, who has been given an extended break after helping England to the Euro 2020 final, will report for training on Monday, so could be in contention to face Leeds.

"Jadon is in on Monday, hopefully in decent nick and he can be involved," Solskjaer added.

Mason Greenwood, Harry Maguire, Bruno Fernandes and Diogo Dalot were on target against Everton.

United's preparations for the game were hindered somewhat by a coronavirus outbreak within the squad, leading to the cancellation of a planned friendly against Preston North End last week.

Jesse Lingard has tested positive and is a doubt to face Leeds, while United are taking a cautious approach with Dean Henderson.

The goalkeeper has missed the entirety of United's pre-season after testing positive for COVID-19 following his return to training and though he no longer has the illness, Henderson is still suffering from the after-effects.

"Jesse feels okay, hopefully it'll stay that way," Solskjaer said. "But when you get a positive test you've just got to isolate even if you feel well.

"Dean was positive early on. He's negative in his testing but he has not felt as energised and sharp as he normally has done, so he still feels fatigued and is feeling the after-effects.

"You never know. You've seen so many effects of this virus, he's still got a few days to rest and then we'll check up on him."

Related items

  • Barcelona midfielder Nico completes Valencia loan move Barcelona midfielder Nico completes Valencia loan move

    Barcelona midfielder Nico Gonzalez has completed a season-long loan move to LaLiga rivals Valencia.

    The 20-year-old broke into Barca's first team last season, scoring two goals and providing as many assists in 37 appearances.

    With Franck Kessie among the Blaugrana's new signings and Manchester City midfielder Bernardo Silva reportedly a target, Nico informed Xavi he wanted to move on in order to be given more playing time.

    Valencia on Saturday confirmed Nico will spend the 2022-23 campaign at the Mestalla Stadium.

    Barca's head coach Xavi on Friday stated that he had mixed feelings over Nico's temporary switch.

    He said: "[Nico] came to me three weeks ago. I insisted that he continue because he would have minutes. I like Nico.

    "But a few days ago he came back and told me that there was a team where he would play. He has been brave and is going to Valencia.

    "I hope he comes back more mature because it must be important for the future of Barca. For the midfield we have [Sergio] Busquets, [Miralem] Pjanic, Kessie, Frenkie [de Jong], Sergi Roberto, and even [Andreas] Christensen, who can play there."

    Valencia start their season at home to newly promoted Girona on Sunday, while Barca face Rayo Vallecano on Saturday.

  • De Ligt explains Juventus criticism, wants 'to get my Ajax game back' De Ligt explains Juventus criticism, wants 'to get my Ajax game back'

    Matthijs de Ligt insists he did not "attack" Juventus when pointing out the club had underperformed, although he feels he will be better suited to playing for Bayern Munich.

    De Ligt left Juve for Bayern ahead of the 2022-23 season, having widely been seen as failing to fulfil his potential in three years in Turin.

    The Netherlands centre-back was outstanding in Ajax's run to the 2018-19 Champions League semi-finals, earning a move to Juve, where he faced a battle for his place.

    De Ligt started fewer than 30 Serie A matches in each of his three seasons with the Bianconeri.

    There was some backlash then when De Ligt, discussing the possibility of a transfer in June, criticised Juve's back-to-back fourth-placed finishes.

    Speaking to De Telegraaf on Saturday, De Ligt explained: "In an interview with NOS in June, I said that – as the club itself thinks – to be fourth tw‪ice in a row with Juventus is not good enough.

    "That was not an attack on Juventus. Not at all, because I will always have the utmost respect for this club.

    "For me, it was just a fact that no one could be satisfied, that the bar had to be raised, including for me. Maybe it came across incorrectly."

    De Ligt added he would "never forget" the help he received from his Juve team-mates in his "development as a footballer and as a person".

    However, he likened the style of play in Serie A to chess, saying it is "much more tactical".

    Now, De Ligt believes both he and Louis van Gaal's Netherlands team can benefit from his move to Bayern, where the approach is more in line with that he learned at Ajax.

    "I am very happy that I was able to experience that [at Juve], that I was able to play that way, because I have learned a lot," he said.

    "The reason for going to Juventus was also to become a better defender, even though there were differences with the Dutch national team.

    "At Juventus, I often had to stay in the position, while at certain times I was required to go [forward] with the Oranje.

    "At Bayern, I want to get my Ajax game back again.

    "[Bayern coach Julian] Nagelsmann's playing style is much closer to what Louis van Gaal asks of his defenders: defending high, putting high pressure, connecting well and playing forward a lot.

    "I think it's a move that can be good for the Dutch national team and my chances, but I did discuss the transfer with [Van Gaal]. He said he had a great time here."

  • Terzic lauds 18-year-old 'game-changer' Bynoe-Gittens after subs save Dortmund Terzic lauds 18-year-old 'game-changer' Bynoe-Gittens after subs save Dortmund

    Edin Terzic needed a record-breaking intervention from his Borussia Dortmund substitutes to achieve his own BVB first in a 3-1 win at Freiburg on Friday.

    Dortmund boss Terzic was bidding to become the first coach to win nine consecutive Bundesliga games with the club, but it was all going wrong when Michael Gregoritsch had Freiburg in front at half-time.

    And the scoreline was still 1-0 with 20 minutes to go when Youssoufa Moukoko was introduced from the bench.

    But the 17-year-old had a huge impact, first teeing up fellow teenager Jamie Bynoe-Gittens to net his first league goal before giving Dortmund the lead himself.

    Marius Wolf made sure of the points with two minutes to play, with all three scorers coming on as substitutes – a Bundesliga first for Dortmund.

    BVB sold Erling Haaland to Manchester City ahead of this season but clearly have no shortage of young goalscorers, with Bynoe-Gittens picked out by Terzic for special praise.

    "It's basically very simple for him: he has the skills to decide games," Terzic told DAZN.

    "He's a game-changer – and I wanted to see that from him. And not that he just plays the game, but that he makes the difference. He did that."

    Bynoe-Gittens only turned 18 on Monday, with team-mate Jude Bellingham (17 years, 285 days) the sole English player to score in the Bundesliga at a younger age.

    Explaining his 64th-minute introduction in a news conference, Terzic added: "We simply opted for the quality of Jamie.

    "In the first half, we had a few spaces between the lines where we stuck in the last line for too long.

    "But Jamie is someone who can step in and turn up the heat with his first contact – and above all, he can speed up the game again. That's how we imagined it.

    "He animated the game very well and was involved in a lot of good offensive moves."

    Moukoko also earned plenty of plaudits, with two goal involvements in a single Bundesliga game for the first time. He only contributed two in the whole of last season.

    "He's a huge talent," said new signing Anthony Modeste. "I think I can help him. I like to give him tips."

    Moukoko added: "We fought for the coach, for the fans and for us. In the end, you saw the emotions.

    "We didn't start the game well, and after Freiburg were 1-0 up, it got even more difficult. We needed luck today.

    "After Jamie made it 1-1, we were fully in the game. I always felt like we could turn the game around."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.