EPL

Celtic complete double deal for Joe Hart and James McCarthy

By Sports Desk August 03, 2021

Celtic have announced the double signing of Joe Hart and James McCarthy.

Former Manchester City goalkeeper Hart, twice a Premier League champion in 12 years at the Etihad Stadium, joins after spending last season with Tottenham.

The 34-year-old, who has 75 England caps, was limited to 10 appearances in 2020-21, eight of which came in the Europa League.

Hart has signed a three-year contract, while McCarthy, who left Crystal Palace at the end of the season, has agreed a four-year deal.

"This is a great moment for me in my career and I am absolutely delighted to be joining a club of Celtic's stature," Hart said via Celtic's website.

"I know just how big this club is and of the incredible support that it enjoys, and I can't wait to play in front of the fans at Celtic Park."

Manager Ange Postecoglou said: "I'm delighted that we have signed two top-class players in Joe and James. Both of them have a wealth of experience at both club and international level, and that is something which can only benefit the squad, and I'm looking forward to working with both of them.

"I know our supporters will be well aware of both players, and I'm sure they'll welcome them to the club and look forward to seeing both of them play for Celtic in the seasons ahead."

Celtic began their Scottish Premiership season with a 2-1 loss to Hearts last week.

They suffered a Champions League qualifying exit to Midtjylland three days earlier.

Related items

  • 'Only Sampdoria and Lecce spent less than us' – Mourinho surprised by Roma title talk 'Only Sampdoria and Lecce spent less than us' – Mourinho surprised by Roma title talk

    Jose Mourinho is surprised Roma are being talked up as Serie A title contenders given "only Sampdoria and Lecce spent less than us".

    The Giallorossi finished sixth last season and won the inaugural Europa Conference League in May.

    Roma pulled off a huge coup by signing Paulo Dybala on a free transfer and have since brought in Georginio Wijnaldum on a season-long loan deal.

    Mile Svilar and Zeki Celik have also joined the Eternal City giants, with Henrikh Mkhitaryan the most-high profile player to depart – joining Inter as a free agent – and Jordan Veretout also moving on to Marseille.

    A 1-0 friendly victory over Tottenham and a 5-0 rout of Shakhtar Donetsk have increased the hype ahead of Roma's first Serie A match of the season at Salernitana on Sunday, but Mourinho is playing down expectations.

    The Roma head coach told reporters on Saturday: "There are teams that have an economic potential that is not comparable, I'm not saying the distance between Earth and Mars, but there are people who spend €100-150million per season. 

    "We go play and do the best we can. In the championship we finished in sixth place, our squad improved, we lost Mkhitaryan and Veretout, but we took on players with whom we improved, but other clubs also did. 

    "For this reason, during this period where I didn't need to talk to journalists, it amazes me when it comes to us in one way, but not about the others. Roma can be a candidate for the Scudetto if they have won 18 titles. 

    "Only Sampdoria and Lecce spent less than us. Milan and Inter finished with 25 and 23 points ahead of us and improved. There is a lot of noise around us for an interesting match against Tottenham and Shakhtar. 

    "We talk about us, while there is silence around other teams. Lazio spent €39 million, are they candidates for the Scudetto?"

  • Arnautovic 'focused on Bologna' after Man Utd interest Arnautovic 'focused on Bologna' after Man Utd interest

    Marko Arnautovic is focused again on delivering for Bologna after he was linked with a remarkable move to Manchester United earlier this month.

    The Austria international returned to Europe from the Chinese Super League last year, swapping Shanghai Port for the Serie A outfit ahead of the 2021-22 campaign as he signed a two-year deal.

    A fine run of form last season saw him net 15 goals in 34 appearances in all competitions and attract the attention of United, who are managed by his former coach Erik ten Hag.

    But the left-field bid from the Premier League giants was widely questioned, with the backlash seemingly warning United off a deal.

    Speaking ahead of the new Serie A season, Arnautovic sought to move on swiftly from the episode as he looks ahead to another year with Bologna.

    "The transfer market is the transfer market," he said.

    "I have been in this world for many years, and I know that during the transfer market, there can always be interest from another team, but I'm focused on Bologna."

    United's interest in Arnautovic came amid a rough start to the new Premier League season, with Ten Hag suffering an opening-weekend defeat to Brighton and Hove Albion in his first match in charge.

    Superstar striker Cristiano Ronaldo appeared only from the bench following a disrupted pre-season, in which he was said to have pushed for an exit from the club to play Champions League football elsewhere.

     

  • 'Not a World Cup for fans' – Germany coach Flick critical of Qatar 2022 'Not a World Cup for fans' – Germany coach Flick critical of Qatar 2022

    The Qatar World Cup is not a tournament "for fans", says Germany coach Hansi Flick, who believes "football should be there for everyone".

    The latest staging of the flagship tournament has been the source of much controversy since it was awarded to Qatar in 2010.

    The nation's stance towards women and the LGBTQ+ community was widely pointed to as a problem from the outset, while the deaths of thousands of migrant workers have been reported during preparation for the finals.

    Given Qatar's limited accommodation facilities and the move to the middle of the European club season, the competition has presented issues for both fans and players, even beyond those moral debates.

    And Flick had supporters in mind as he added his voice to those criticising the 2022 World Cup.

    "Basically, I think it is a shame that this tournament will not be a World Cup for fans," he told the Frankfurter Rundschau.

    "[I have friends] who would like to fly to Qatar, but choose not to for a variety of reasons. Football should be there for everyone. That is why I say it is not a World Cup for fans."

    But Flick recognised making a direct political statement of protest was "a challenge for everyone involved", adding: "We have already had many discussions.

    "We will sit down again in September and consider what we can do together with other nations – or want to do."

    Flick will lead Germany into a major tournament for the first time after succeeding Joachim Low after a last-16 exit to England at Euro 2020.

    They will face Japan, Spain and Costa Rica in Group E, with their first game to be played against the Samurai Blue on November 23.

     

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.