EPL

Van Dijk expresses gratitude after making Liverpool comeback alongside Gomez

By Sports Desk July 29, 2021

Virgil van Dijk expressed his gratitude for the support he has received after making his return in Liverpool's 4-3 friendly defeat to Hertha Berlin.

Van Dijk made his first appearance since suffering an anterior cruciate ligament injury in the Merseyside derby last October at the Tivoli Stadion in Tirol on Thursday.

The Netherlands captain and fellow defender Joe Gomez, who had been sidelined with a knee injury since November, were introduced by Jurgen Klopp with 20 minutes to go.

Van Dijk later thanked those who had helped him on the road to recovery during his lengthy absence.

He tweeted: "285 days ago, I started on a journey back towards playing. It's hard to express how I am feeling, but it's important to me that I say I feel blessed to have had the support of so many incredible people.

"The surgeon, my physios, coaches and staff who have been with me in my corner since day one. My team-mates for giving me energy and keeping my head up.

"The fans for their love, support and encouragement. And most of all, my family because without them, I'd be nothing. Thank you. The work doesn't stop now. It's only just starting. We keep going!"

Reds boss Klopp said: "I'm not sure, 260-something days for Virgil and not much less for Joe that they didn't play football, so it's nice to have them back. It was the first step, really important."

Strikes from Santiago Ascacibar and Suat Serdar left Liverpool two goals down, but Sadio Mane and Takumi Minamino restored parity.

Stevan Jovetic's brace gave Hertha a two-goal advantage once again, with Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain scoring Liverpool's third goal after Van Dijk's header was saved.

Related items

  • Marseille confirm Sampaoli exit Marseille confirm Sampaoli exit

    Marseille have confirmed the exit of Jorge Sampaoli as coach, with the Argentine departing Stade Velodrome just under a year and a half after his arrival.

    The 62-year-old succeeded Andre Villas-Boas at the helm of the Ligue 1 outfit last March, and guided them to a second-place finish behind champions Paris Saint-Germain in his only full season in charge.

    Yet just weeks after earning Champions League qualification, the former Albiceleste boss is on his way after reportedly growing frustrated with a lack of transfer activity and ambition from the club.

    "[We] would like to sincerely and warmly thank the work of Jorge Sampaoli," read an official club statement.

    "We are satisfied with the progress made and the emotions experienced together, but following a long reflection, the two parties [...] have agreed to put an end to this stage [of their careers].

    Club president Pablo Longoria will now begin a search for a successor to Sampaoli, who leaves with 36 wins from 67 games in charge, and with a season still to run on his contract.

  • Belotti becomes free agent as Inter officially clinch double deal Belotti becomes free agent as Inter officially clinch double deal

    The official start of the new club season brought confirmation of a number of transfers in Serie A – and Andrea Belotti will also soon be on the move.

    Striker Belotti, who is out of contract with Torino, was not among those listed on the league website as having secured a new club.

    But Torino released a statement early on Friday to confirm the Italy man would be departing, having scored 113 goals in 251 appearances across all competitions in seven years since signing from Palermo.

    "Dear Andrea, we take note of your decision to undertake a new experience," the club said. "From today, our paths separate.

    "We have lived together seven seasons, which in modern football represents a very strong bond, always sharing with the same passion joys and sufferings, emotions and disappointments.

    "We thank you for all that you have given us, proud with the contribution of everyone of what you have become for Il Toro, and we greet you with a big good luck for the continuation of your career."

    Belotti becomes a free agent, but one man who had similarly reached the end of his contracts has found a new home at Inter.

    Confirmation of a deal for Henrikh Mkhitaryan, the ex-Roma midfielder, had been anticipated. Andre Onana, the Ajax goalkeeper, was also expected to join the Nerazzurri.

    Although Inter did not officially announce either signing immediately on Friday, their names appeared on the Serie A list alongside Romelu Lukaku and Kristjan Asllani.

  • Man City sign keeper Ortega Moreno Man City sign keeper Ortega Moreno

    Manchester City have made goalkeeper Stefan Ortega Moreno their second signing of the transfer window.

    The 29-year-old was a free agent after leaving Arminia Bielefeld and has signed a three-year deal with the Premier League champions in a move that is subject to international clearance.

    Ortega Moreno will provide back-up for Ederson for Pep Guardiola's side, with Zack Steffen set to join Championship side Middlesbrough on loan.

    The arrival of German Ortega Moreno comes after City landed prolific Norway striker Erling Haaland from Borussia Dortmund.

    "This is a fantastic move for me," Ortega Moreno told the club's official website. "Manchester City are an amazing team – a squad with world-class quality in every area.

    "To be given the chance to join this group of players and help continue the club's success is a dream for me.

    "I have enjoyed my time in Germany and I want to thank the Arminia Bielefeld fans for their support. But this new challenge of coming to City and playing in the Premier League is too good for me to ignore. 

    "I can't wait to get started, meet my team-mates and begin working with Pep and his backroom staff."

    Meanwhile, City have allowed teenage defender CJ Egan-Riley to join Vincent Kompany's Burnley on a four-year deal.

     

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.