EPL

Solskjaer delivers half-time 'fireworks' to spark United fightback

By Sports Desk April 04, 2021

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer revealed "the fireworks had to be lit at half-time" after Manchester United roared back to beat Brighton and Hove Albion 2-1 on Sunday.

Danny Welbeck's header against his former club put relegation-threatened Brighton in front at half-time, but United raised their game after the break.

Marcus Rashford equalised with a clinical finish and Mason Greenwood also marked his return from injury with a goal, heading home to secure the points seven minutes from time.

Victory for the Red Devils strengthened their grip on second place, 14 points adrift of champions elect Manchester City with a game in hand and 11 clear of fifth-placed Tottenham.

Solskjaer suggested he delivered a few harsh words at the break after his side failed to register a shot on target during the first half, although Greenwood hit the post early on.

The United boss, who revealed Eric Bailly was absent after testing positive for coronavirus. said: "It's a long way up [to City] but we want to consolidate second place. In the second half, we played some good stuff. The fireworks had to be lit at half-time."

Solskjaer was impressed with the character shown by his side as they produced a fightback to win after conceding first for the eighth time this season.

He said: "You don't really want to be in a position where you're 1-0 down. It was a sloppy mistake in midfield, we don't stop the cross and we don't defend the cross.

"We gave ourselves work to do and then I think we've done that so many times this season that the team doesn't panic.

"We know we have to build momentum, the ball has to move quickly, we have to be more in tandem with each other and the two goals we scored were two good goals to win the game."

Solskjaer preferred Dean Henderson to David de Gea but said the Spanish goalkeeper can force his way back into the team.

"With Dean and David's situation I know it's something that will create headlines, fish and chips wrapping paper in a little while," he added.

"I've got two great goalkeepers and it's about finding games that both will play. Both deserve to play more than what they do and it's just a decision I have to make every time."

Solskjaer stated ahead of the game that Anthony Martial looks set to miss the rest of the season with a knee injury and the United manager will be hoping a knock picked up by Rashford is not serious.

Related items

  • Dias pleads to Portuguese media for unity over Ronaldo criticism Dias pleads to Portuguese media for unity over Ronaldo criticism

    Ruben Dias pleaded with the Portuguese media to promote unity rather than trying to create a divide following criticism of Cristiano Ronaldo.

    Fernando Santos' Portugal side will face Switzerland in the last 16 of the World Cup on Tuesday after winning Group H despite a shock defeat to South Korea on matchday three.

    Ronaldo endured a particularly difficult day against the Taeguk Warriors.

    He failed to hit the target with either of his two shots and was caught offside three times, with a couple of those situations raising questions of his concentration.

    The 37-year-old was withdrawn in the second half and simultaneously had a disagreement with South Korea forward Cho Gue-sung.

    Since then, a poll on the website of Portuguese newspaper A Bola suggests 70 per cent of supporters want Ronaldo to be dropped, and defender Dias had a defiant response.

    "I actually think you shouldn't ask Ruben Dias that, but you should ask that to Cristiano Ronaldo," the defender told reporters.

    "I'd like to take this moment to say, in this tournament the press is supporting us and Ronaldo, so I'd like to make an appeal to the press; as we progress, instead of creating a divide, create unity, then who knows maybe we'll have good strength and positive energy for all involved."

    If Ronaldo was to be dropped, Rafael Leao would be among the favourites to step in.

    The Milan forward came on as a substitute in all three of Portugal's group games, but Santos appears to think he still requires some adaptation work.

    "He has a huge potential, and I think he will have a promising career," Santos added.

    "But of course he faces the difficulties of any player who has a place in a club like his, where he plays more on the left and playing for the club he has more freedom.

    "But at national team level, he needs to adapt to the others, to players who excel for their clubs but have a different [role] at the national team."

  • Santos scolds Ronaldo for South Korea spat as Portugal coach insists transfer talk not his focus Santos scolds Ronaldo for South Korea spat as Portugal coach insists transfer talk not his focus

    Cristiano Ronaldo's spat with South Korea's Cho Gue-sung frustrated Fernando Santos, who was unsure on reports surrounding the Portugal captain's future.

    Ronaldo was involved in an exchange with Cho during his side's World Cup defeat to South Korea on Friday, where he appeared to get into a verbal tussle with his opponent as he was substituted.

    The 37-year-old confirmed after the game that his frustrations had been with Cho, and not at Santos' decision to take him off.

    While Santos has put the matter behind him ahead of Portugal's last-16 tie with Switzerland on Tuesday, he made it clear he was not impressed by Ronaldo's reaction.

    "Did I see the images? I did," he said, in reference to footage of the incident. "Did I like it? Not at all. I really didn't like it at all.

    "But from then on, these matters are resolved internally. From there, we think about the next game, for which everyone will be focused. The matter is over."

    News emerged shortly before Santos' pre-match press conference that Saudi Arabian side Al Nassr were close to signing Ronaldo, who is a free agent after leaving Manchester United.

    "I haven't spoken to him about this. I didn't know about this," Santos said.

    "Someone only told me a few minutes ago. But that's his decision, and something that he has to deal with. We are focused on the World Cup and this team."

    Ronaldo has scored only once in Qatar, converting a penalty he won in Portugal's 3-2 win over Ghana in their opening Group H match.

    He became the first man to score at five different World Cups in the process, though he is yet to score in a knockout game in the competition.

    Indeed, only Brazil great Roberto Carlos has had more attempts (29) without scoring in the knockout stages than Ronaldo (25) since 1966.

  • Luis Enrique refuses to focus on the negatives ahead of Morocco meeting Luis Enrique refuses to focus on the negatives ahead of Morocco meeting

    Spain coach Luis Enrique is refusing to look at the negatives from his side's loss to Japan, instead pointing to how well La Roja played across their World Cup group stage games.

    Japan beat Spain 2-1 on Thursday to secure top spot in Group E, setting up a last-16 tie with Croatia while also condemning Germany to an early exit.

    Spain had 82.3 per cent of the possession and attempted 1,058 passes to Japan's 228, and had 12 shots, with five hitting the target.

    However, Spain's efforts only accumulated to 1.04 expected goals (xG), whereas Japan's six attempts added up to a combined xG of 1.45, with Ritsu Doan and Junya Ito scoring in the space of three second-half minutes.

    If reports in the Spanish media are to be believed, former Barcelona coach Luis Enrique might be replaced as Spain boss after the World Cup, but ahead of Tuesday's last-16 tie with Morocco, he has full conviction in his approach.

    "We are talking about 270 minutes if I'm not wrong, plus added time [in the group stage]," Luis Enrique said in a press conference when he was asked if his team failed to recover from setbacks during matches. 

    "Out of 300 minutes in total, you focus on 10 minutes that you didn't like. As far as we progress, you will see more of these minutes.

    "We are footballers and the opponents also play. There are things to be improved, and I'm sure we will be bitten by Morocco in some moments of the game.

    "We can't take blows? What about them? Did Germany take it well when we scored? We are in a competition where the score dictates the risk you are willing to take.

    "Other teams pull back but we keep attacking and of course we need to improve that."

    Asked if his team lacked the experience required to see out spells of pressure, Luis Enrique replied: "It's such a cliche, we have to try and get rid of this idea.

    "I don't believe they lacked experience. Experience in what? Being builders, carpenters? When you lose, people talk about issues and if you win, they don't.

    "I don't share this analysis. This team will be recognised by the way we play, analyse our matches, our philosophy but not these sorts of issues.

    "Mistakes happen, we are talking about a very complex, unfair sport, 11 players on a huge field, it's impossible to control all the aspects.

    "At the end of the day the ones making the decisions are the players, I want them to implement my idea and I want them to buy the whole package when they lose, it's not fair to only buy it when we win."

    Spain have only made it beyond the round of 16 once at the last four World Cups, when they went on to win the trophy in South Africa in 2010. This record, though, is of no concern to Luis Enrique.

    "This is not our usual trend, to look at everything from a negative perspective," he said.

    "I am not concerned about those results. I want to control the things I can control as a coach. I want my team to play in a certain way, I want my players to forget about the result.

    "Football is not fair but if you have more merit you usually win the game. I am convinced we will have more merit than Morocco. Our objective was to play seven games, so we want to play seven games."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.