EPL

I would hire him instantly! - Gundogan would welcome Guardiola as Low successor

By Sports Desk March 30, 2021

Ilkay Gundogan would welcome the appointment of Pep Guardiola as Joachim Low's successor should the Manchester City manager become available.

Low announced earlier this month that he will leave his role with the national side after the delayed European Championship finals, which are scheduled to begin in June.

A number of high-profile names have been linked with the soon-to-be vacant position, with City boss Guardiola deemed to be an outside contender for the job.

Gundogan has spent the past five seasons playing under the Catalan at the Etihad Stadium and is enjoying the best campaign of his career in terms of goal involvements.

While the ex-Borussia Dortmund midfielder would like to work with Guardiola at international level, he accepts that is unlikely to be possible anytime soon.

"I would personally hire him instantly but I think that would be difficult as he is not currently available," he said at a news conference on Tuesday.

"I also don't know if I would like to be without him at City. Besides, I owe a lot to Joachim and I want him to leave on a high."

City remain on course for a quadruple this campaign in what will be all-time leading goalscorer Sergio Aguero's last at the club.

The Argentina international confirmed on Monday he will be leaving at the end of the season and Gundogan is hopeful his team-mate can bow out on a high.

"He has done incredible things and contributed a lot to us being where we are now," he said. "We still have him for a few weeks and hopefully we can see him off with some success."

Aguero has already won the Premier League four times during his decade with City, the most memorable being the first of those in 2011-12.

He scored a dramatic winner against QPR on the final day to ensure City finished above Manchester United, a moment that still lives with Gundogan, who was with Dortmund at the time.

"I still get goosebumps when I see his legendary goal with original commentary," Gundogan added.

Gundogan's focus for now is on Wednesday's World Cup 2022 qualifier against North Macedonia as Germany aim to make it three wins from three in Group J.

The 30-year-old played the entirety of the victories over Iceland and Romania, but he is not taking his place in the side for granted ahead of Euro 2020.

"We have a number of top-class players here," he said. "It is very good for us to have that level of competition. Now it is down to the coach to distribute the right tasks.

"I want to play and I'm confident that I should be playing. I had a similar feeling in 2018 but only played one half against Sweden [at the World Cup].

"I've always felt I deserved to play, but you have to accept the decisions of others."

Low confirmed on Tuesday that Gundogan is in contention to skipper Germany at the MSV-Arena in Duisburg with regular captain Manuel Neuer being rested for the match.

Related items

  • Chiellini feels De Ligt 'has everything', hopes Raiola does not alter Juve future Chiellini feels De Ligt 'has everything', hopes Raiola does not alter Juve future

    Giorgio Chiellini hopes Matthijs de Ligt is not taken away from Juventus by agent Mino Raiola, as he feels his defensive colleague already "has everything".

    Now 37, Juve captain Chiellini is in the final years of his career, but the future of the Turin giants appears to be in the hands of De Ligt.

    The former Ajax captain is still just 22 and is settled in Serie A in his third season with the Bianconeri.

    De Ligt underwhelmed a little following his €75million transfer to Italy but has since performed well, last committing an error leading to a chance in the league in his debut 2019-20 season.

    Although De Ligt has been limited to six appearances this term, with veteran duo Chiellini and Leonardo Bonucci preferred against Inter on Sunday, he is certainly becoming a more dominant defender.

    No Juve defender is contesting (4.5) or winning (3.4) more aerial duels per 90 than De Ligt in 2021-22, while his overall duel success rate for the season is up significantly to 67.4 per cent.

    Indeed, Chiellini believes De Ligt has the full package, telling DAZN: "He's very strong, I call him Thor.

    "If he had been Italian, it would have been easier to keep him for many years, I hope that Mino will give us the pleasure of leaving him a few more years in Turin.

    "He has everything, but the difference is made in the head; he is 22 years old but has the mentality of someone of 30, and he sets himself the goal of wanting to improve every day."

    De Ligt arrived at Juve as Andrea Barzagli retired, but he still finds himself competing with the other two members of the great 'BBC' back line.

    That might not have been the case, however, as Bonucci briefly left for Milan – a move that upset Chiellini.

    "I was hurt. That Milan was a team in difficulty, it was not Real Madrid or even Milan of now," he said. "Today it would be different, but at the time going there meant taking a clear step back.

    "The choices remain personal and must be respected, but if we had been on holiday together that summer I would have made him understand that he was making a mistake. He realised it very soon."

    Chiellini also could have been out the door by now, revealing he considered retiring following the coronavirus outbreak but played on to star at Euro 2020, where Italy won the title.

    "I lived a hard period after my injury," Chiellini said. "I returned after six months and shortly after COVID broke out, and for almost a year I struggled to find the right balance.

    "The thought of retirement made its way into my head but it was the European Championship that kept me going with the desire to be there at all costs."

  • Former England midfielder Dyer undergoing tests in hospital Former England midfielder Dyer undergoing tests in hospital

    Ipswich Town have confirmed that former England midfielder Kieron Dyer is undergoing tests in hospital after suffering a collapsed lung last month.

    The 42-year-old ex-Newcastle United winger withdrew from television show Celebrity SAS: Who Dares Wins in September, having collapsed due to a cracked rib that punctured his lung.

    League One club Ipswich on Wednesday revealed that their Under-23 manager has been hospitalised.

    "The club can confirm that Town U23 manager Kieron Dyer is currently undertaking tests in hospital," Ipswich said in a statement.

    "Everyone at Ipswich Town Football Club sends their best wishes to Kieron at this time.

    "We ask everyone to respect Kieron's privacy, and we will be making no further comment on the matter."

    Dyer won 33 caps for England after starting his playing career at Ipswich and spent eight years with Newcastle. He also played for West Ham United, QPR and Middlesbrough.

  • Pique shows support to Cavallo after A-League player comes out as gay: 'You are helping the world move forward' Pique shows support to Cavallo after A-League player comes out as gay: 'You are helping the world move forward'

    Barcelona's Gerard Pique is among those to have shown his support to A-League player Josh Cavallo, who has come out as the first openly gay top-flight footballer in the world.

    Adelaide United defender Cavallo made the announcement in a video and open letter on social media on Wednesday.

    The news is a historic moment for sporting community and one Cavallo hopes will help others find the courage to follow in his steps.

    "I want to help change this," he said. "I want to show that everyone is welcome in the game of football and deserves the right to be their authentic self.

    "It is astonishing to know that there are currently no gay professional footballers who are out and actively playing, not only in Australia, but around the world. 

    "Hopefully this will change in the near future."

    Cavallo's announcement was met with widespread supporting, with Pique praising the 21-year-old for making the public announcement.

    "I don't have the pleasure to know you personally, but I want to thank you for this step that you take," Pique posted on Twitter. 

    "The world of football is far behind and you are helping us move forward."

    Pique's former Barca team-mate and current Atletico Madrid loanee Antoine Griezmann said: "Proud of you @JoshuaCavallo".

    Barca were one of a number of teams to commend Cavallo, posting: "THANK YOU, @JoshuaCavallo for taking a huge step forward! 

    "Your courage contributes to normalizing diversity in the world of sports."

    Premier League side Arsenal tweeted: "Thank you @JoshuaCavallo for your strength and bravery...

    "You are an inspiration to millions. Everyone deserves the right to be themselves."

    Several other top-flight players have previously come out as gay once their professional playing careers were over, including former Aston Villa player Thomas Hitzlsperger.

    Former Newcastle Jets player Andy Brennan came out while playing in a lower tier and is now plying his trade for semi-professional side Hume City.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.