Normal for Suarez to be annoyed over substitution, insists Simeone

By Sports Desk March 17, 2021

Diego Simeone insisted it was "normal" for Luis Suarez to be annoyed after being replaced in Atletico Madrid's defeat to Chelsea, explaining the decision by saying his side "weren't at it up top". 

Goals from Hakim Ziyech and Emerson Palmieri gave Chelsea a 2-0 second-leg victory over Simeone's LaLiga leaders, who had succumbed to an Olivier Giroud goal in a 1-0 defeat in Madrid. 

Suarez mustered just one attempt and had only 19 touches before he was replaced by Angel Correa in the 58th minute at Stamford Bridge. After leaving the field with a bemused smile on his face, the former Barcelona frontman retired to the stands.

The 34-year-old has now failed to score in his last 25 Champions League away games, only one less than his tally of 26 goals in the competition. 

"It's normal that players are annoyed when you take them off," Simeone told Movistar. 

"We wanted to change things up top and find a different way to attack. I'm not looking for excuses. 

"They deserved to win over the two legs. The first leg was even, but they got their goal. Today they were better than us and deserved to win.

"We tried to find a way to score, but we weren't at it up top despite our effort."

With Atletico just four points clear of Barcelona at the top of LaLiga with 11 games left to play, Simeone addressed the suggestion that the Champions League was not his side's priority. 

He also reserved praise for standout performer Joao Felix, who went close to scoring late in the game for a visiting side that finished with 10 men, Stefan Savic dismissed for elbowing Antonio Rudiger. 

"It's easy to have regrets after the tie is over," said Simeone. "You can't have regrets, the game has gone now. We need to use it to learn. 

"We wanted to stay in the Champions League, but we didn't play that well in this year's tournament, but I'm very happy especially with how Joao Felix played today. 

"We looked to change our system, tried to press them, but they were able to get through it, they were just better than us. You can't say more than that. We need to improve." 

Related items

  • Former England midfielder Dyer undergoing tests in hospital Former England midfielder Dyer undergoing tests in hospital

    Ipswich Town have confirmed that former England midfielder Kieron Dyer is undergoing tests in hospital after suffering a collapsed lung last month.

    The 42-year-old ex-Newcastle United winger withdrew from television show Celebrity SAS: Who Dares Wins in September, having collapsed due to a cracked rib that punctured his lung.

    League One club Ipswich on Wednesday revealed that their Under-23 manager has been hospitalised.

    "The club can confirm that Town U23 manager Kieron Dyer is currently undertaking tests in hospital," Ipswich said in a statement.

    "Everyone at Ipswich Town Football Club sends their best wishes to Kieron at this time.

    "We ask everyone to respect Kieron's privacy, and we will be making no further comment on the matter."

    Dyer won 33 caps for England after starting his playing career at Ipswich and spent eight years with Newcastle. He also played for West Ham United, QPR and Middlesbrough.

  • T20 World Cup: England complete dominant victory against Bangladesh T20 World Cup: England complete dominant victory against Bangladesh

    England romped to another impressive win at the T20 World Cup as they beat Bangladesh by eight wickets at the Sheikh Zayed Stadium, Abu Dhabi on Wednesday.

    Jason Roy starred as he plundered 61 from 38 balls, helping his team ease to the 125-run target set by their opponents for victory with almost six overs remaining.

    Bangladesh won the toss and chose to bat first. They got off to a promising start, putting 10 runs on the board in the first over, with Liton Das hitting Moeen Ali for two boundaries.

    However, things soon turned as Moeen (2-18) took two wickets in two balls in the third over, and from there the runs dried up as the wickets steadily fell.

    Chris Woakes (1-12) and Liam Livingstone (2-15) impressed with the ball, and the only moment that resembled a fightback from Bangladesh was in the 19th over when Adil Rashid (0-35) was hit for 17, including the only two sixes of the innings from Nasum Ahmed (19).

    A solid final over with the ball from Tymal Mills (3-27) saw just four runs scored, with two wickets coming in the final two balls of the innings to leave Bangladesh on 124-9 from their 20 overs, a total England comfortably reached.

    Roy sets tone for England reply

    Roy smashed the first ball of the innings for four and Jos Buttler hit 18 from 18 balls before falling to Nasum (1-26).

    Dawid Malan (28 not out) continued the England momentum but it was five fours and three sixes from Roy in exactly an hour at the crease which did most of the heavy lifting for England.

    The opener was out before the end when he hit a Shoriful Islam (1-26) ball into the hands of Nasum, allowing Jonny Bairstow (eight not out) to see his team home with 35 balls still remaining, giving Eoin Morgan's side their second win in as many games in the tournament.

    Moeen makes swift progress

    Bangladesh had not had a display of Roy's ilk in their own top order thanks to the exploits of Moeen with the ball. Quickly recovering from a potentially damaging first over, the spinner mopped up Das and Mohammad Naim from consecutive balls to reduce Bangladesh to 14-2.

    Those were Moeen's third and fourth power play wickets at this World Cup, only trailing Maheesh Theekshana (five) in that regard. Despite the initial wobble, he has also managed an economy rate of 5.5 and a dot ball rate of 64 per cent in this period.

  • Pique shows support to Cavallo after A-League player comes out as gay: 'You are helping the world move forward' Pique shows support to Cavallo after A-League player comes out as gay: 'You are helping the world move forward'

    Barcelona's Gerard Pique is among those to have shown his support to A-League player Josh Cavallo, who has come out as the first openly gay top-flight footballer in the world.

    Adelaide United defender Cavallo made the announcement in a video and open letter on social media on Wednesday.

    The news is a historic moment for sporting community and one Cavallo hopes will help others find the courage to follow in his steps.

    "I want to help change this," he said. "I want to show that everyone is welcome in the game of football and deserves the right to be their authentic self.

    "It is astonishing to know that there are currently no gay professional footballers who are out and actively playing, not only in Australia, but around the world. 

    "Hopefully this will change in the near future."

    Cavallo's announcement was met with widespread supporting, with Pique praising the 21-year-old for making the public announcement.

    "I don't have the pleasure to know you personally, but I want to thank you for this step that you take," Pique posted on Twitter. 

    "The world of football is far behind and you are helping us move forward."

    Pique's former Barca team-mate and current Atletico Madrid loanee Antoine Griezmann said: "Proud of you @JoshuaCavallo".

    Barca were one of a number of teams to commend Cavallo, posting: "THANK YOU, @JoshuaCavallo for taking a huge step forward! 

    "Your courage contributes to normalizing diversity in the world of sports."

    Premier League side Arsenal tweeted: "Thank you @JoshuaCavallo for your strength and bravery...

    "You are an inspiration to millions. Everyone deserves the right to be themselves."

    Several other top-flight players have previously come out as gay once their professional playing careers were over, including former Aston Villa player Thomas Hitzlsperger.

    Former Newcastle Jets player Andy Brennan came out while playing in a lower tier and is now plying his trade for semi-professional side Hume City.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.