Trophies can be an ego thing - Solskjaer insists United progress will not be defined by Europa League success

By Sports Desk March 17, 2021

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer believes success in the Premier League will be the ultimate barometer of whether Manchester United are "back".

The 20-time English champions have not lifted a trophy since Jose Mourinho led them to EFL Cup and Europa League glory in 2016-17.

United are back in Europa League action against Milan at San Siro on Thursday, with a place in the last-16 on the line after a 1-1 draw in last week's home leg.

Solskjaer, who succeeded Mourinho midway through the 2018-19 season, would love to bring silverware back to the club he played for in such decorated fashion.

However, he feels United's position in second place in the Premier League – and as the only team to beat leaders Manchester City in their past 32 matches – stands as the best measure of their progress, irrespective of whether there is an new addition to the Old Trafford trophy room at the end of the campaign.

"I've been here two-and-a-half of those [trophy-less] years now. I felt a big rebuild had to be made," he told a pre-match news conference.

"It's in the league position where you see if there's been any progress. That's the bread and butter of the season. You see how capable you are, coping with ups and downs.

"A cup competition can give you a trophy but sometimes it's more of an ego thing – we've finally won something!

"We need to see progress and if we progress and perform well enough the trophies will end up at the club again.

"But it's not like a trophy will say that we're back. It's about the gradual progression and consistency of being in and around the top of the league.

"Sometimes a cup competition can hide the fact that you're still struggling a little bit."

One United player who is struggling is Anthony Martial, who will be absent as he recovers from the hip injury he suffered during last week's game against Milan.

David de Gea is back in contention following paternity leave, although Dean Henderson has been Solskjaer's first choice for Europa League matches this season.

Edinson Cavani, Paul Pogba and Donny van de Beek are all back in contention after returning to training this week, although Solskjaer did not wish to discuss speculation over the future of the latter midfielder after an underwhelming maiden campaign at Old Trafford to date.

"There's always speculation here," he said.

"As we've said they've been involved in the training session, so let's see if there's any reaction or not.

"Donny has been working really hard to get back available for the final stages of the season."

Loanee Diogo Dalot is set to feature once more for Milan against his parent club but Solskjaer insists the Portuguese full-back has a future at United.

"Yeah, the plan was always for Diogo this season to get fit. He never managed to be fit for a long spell when he was here, unfortunately," he explained.

"Now he's kept fit all season. He's playing at a big club with big expectations and a great history. It's been a good year for him.

"He's our player and we're looking forward to getting him back."

Related items

  • Alexis Sanchez passes medical and completes Marseille move Alexis Sanchez passes medical and completes Marseille move

    Alexis Sanchez officially signed his contract as a Marseille player on Wednesday after passing a medical with the Ligue 1 club.

    A busy week for Sanchez had seen him depart Inter on Monday when his contract was terminated, before Marseille announced a deal in principle had been agreed on Tuesday.

    Marseille fans were made to wait little longer for formal confirmation of an eye-catching signing.

    The former Barcelona, Arsenal and Manchester United man arrives in France looking to recapture his best form, having started only seven matches in Serie A last season – albeit he still scored five goals.

    Sanchez had netted seven for Inter the previous season, again often appearing from the bench, as the Nerazzurri won the Scudetto.

    Marseille's statement on Wednesday described Sanchez as "a world-class player with a great experience of the very highest level".

  • Haaland's two-goal debut shows Pep has no excuse in Champions League, claims Capello Haaland's two-goal debut shows Pep has no excuse in Champions League, claims Capello

    Pep Guardiola has no excuse not to win the Champions League with Manchester City given Erling Haaland's talent, according to Fabio Capello.

    City were Premier League champions last season but again came up short in Europe, losing to eventual winners Real Madrid in the semi-finals.

    The perennial league winners are still waiting on their first taste of glory in the Champions League, which Guardiola himself has not won since 2011.

    Widely considered one of the greatest coaches in the modern game, Guardiola's failure to deliver success in Europe's elite club competition has regularly been used as a source of criticism.

    And Capello – a European champion as Milan coach in 1994 – now believes City must succeed this season.

    New superstar striker Haaland marked his Premier League debut with two goals in a win at West Ham, and Capello spotted the final piece of the City jigsaw.

    "This year there is a favourite for me: Manchester City," the ex-England manager told Il Mattino. "There is no race.

    "They finally have a powerful centre-forward in Haaland. He has power and speed.

    "I saw the match against West Ham and I realised that this time Guardiola has no excuse: he has to win the Champions League.

    "Even if, in the end, they'll tell him that he [only] won the Champions League first with [Lionel] Messi and then with Haaland."

  • Benjamin Mendy pleads not guilty to additional rape charge Benjamin Mendy pleads not guilty to additional rape charge

    Manchester City player Benjamin Mendy has pleaded not guilty to an additional rape charge.

    Mendy appeared at Chester Crown Court on Wednesday to enter the plea ahead of his trial.

    The 28-year-old attended court back in May when he entered pleas for nine charges of sexual offences – he then denied seven counts of rape, one count of sexual assault and one count of attempted rape.

    Mendy also denies this further count of rape.

    The offences, reported by seven different women, allegedly occurred between October 2018 and August last year, with all purported to have taken place at Mendy's home.

    Mendy will go on trial with co-defendant Louis Saha Matturie, who denies eight counts of rape and four of sexual assault between July 2012 and August 2021.

    Both men are expected to stand trial later this week, with proceedings unlikely to conclude before November.

    Mendy was suspended by City on August 26, 2021, and has not played for them since.

     

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.