EPL

Klopp: Kabak and Davies are making big steps at Liverpool

By Sports Desk February 12, 2021

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp said Ozan Kabak and Ben Davies were "making big steps" ahead of their potential debuts for the club.

Amid an injury crisis in defence, the Premier League champions added Kabak, on loan from Schalke, and Davies at the end of the mid-season transfer window.

With Virgil van Dijk and Joe Gomez sidelined and Joel Matip set to miss the rest of the season, Liverpool will also be without Fabinho for Saturday's trip to Leicester City.

Kabak or Davies could debut at the King Power Stadium and Klopp said the pair were making strong progress.

"They are calm people, both Ben and Ozan, willing to learn, really great attitude," he said.

"They really throw themselves in everything that is ahead of them. What a defender should do. Making big steps, adapting to the way we play, again, that's important.

"We have still a clear way to defend which is important because if both of them would be on the pitch, then there are still nine players who are used to what we did before. So even the two players would do something differently that would lead to a strange situation. So, yeah, it's all good.

"It's all good so far and now we have to make this our set. We have to change again because of Fab and now we will see, which solution we will take."

The clash with Leicester City will mark Klopp's 300th game in charge of Liverpool, who are fourth in the table.

Liverpool have won on their past three Premier League visits to Leicester, who this season have already lost five league home games – one more than in the whole of the last campaign.

Klopp's men will be seeking to avoid a third successive league defeat this month after losing at home to Brighton and Hove Albion and Manchester City. They last lost three games in a row in the Premier League in November 2014, when current Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers was in charge of the Reds.

Related items

  • Pep Guardiola hails Manchester City ‘supermen’ after closing gap to Liverpool Pep Guardiola hails Manchester City ‘supermen’ after closing gap to Liverpool

    Pep Guardiola hailed his Manchester City “supermen” after they closed the gap to Premier League leaders Liverpool to one point with an unconvincing 1-0 win at Bournemouth.

    The champions had to contend with local fireworks, a misfiring Erling Haaland and a second-half onslaught from the hosts before they left the south coast with a 15th victory from their last 17 matches.

    Phil Foden’s first-half tap-in proved enough for City, who took advantage of Liverpool being in Carabao Cup final action this weekend, but were again not at their fluent best after a narrow 1-0 win over Brentford in midweek.

    “They are supermen,” Guardiola insisted.

    “What can I say? The demands for the calendar, for everything, for the expectations, they are so high. What they have done many, many years with a lot of games, many things and always you believe they will fall down, not continue to do it and they surprise me every time.

    “I tell them so that is not normal. For many, many years every three days and Bournemouth have seven days to prepare for one game.

    “Seven days dreaming every second of their one week to beat the best team in the world and we have three days to prepare for that.

    “It is a lot of competitions, but still we are there and I love it, I love it, I like it. Still we are there.

    “I don’t know how much longer we arrive in all competitions but still, we are there. Knowing where we come from, it’s unbelievable.”

    City started brightly at Vitality Stadium and Haaland fired wide in the ninth minute, the first of a succession of squandered opportunities from the division’s current leading marksmen.

    Haaland’s next opportunity was saved by Bournemouth goalkeeper Neto after Mateo Kovacic’s lofted pass, but Foden was on hand to stroke home from close range for his 16th goal of the season.

    The visitors failed to kick on afterwards and it was the Cherries who finished the half strongly with Ryan Christie’s stinging effort parried by Ederson.

    Andoni Iraola’s men remained in the ascendancy and should have levelled with 55 minutes played when Antoine Semenyo’s cross picked out Marcus Tavernier, but he scuffed his effort into the ground and Ruben Dias headed the ball away for good measure.

    Taverner screwed another shot off target minutes later before Ederson clawed away Dominic Solanke’s close-range header with 23 minutes left.

    Bournemouth continued to push for a leveller and – after Dango Ouattara arrowed a shot wide – their final opportunity went to January recruit Enes Unal in stoppage-time, but he headed Semenyo’s cross past the post to extend their winless league run to seven matches.

    Iraola praised his own players and also doffed his hat to champions City, who remain firmly in the hunt to clinch a sixth Premier League title in seven seasons.

    “I am happy because we showed today we are able to compete with one of the best teams in the world, if not the best,” Iraola admitted.

    “Obviously you cannot ask much more of the players, effort wise.

    “I think it is really difficult what they (City) do. It is really difficult. It is really demanding for the players to play every three games, very competitive games but they are used (to it) and have the experience.

    “They can use different players and the level is more or less the same. They also, I think, have learned when to peak during the season.

    “You know they know when they have some level and then when they need the top level, they will be there. They will be at the top level because they have learned during the seasons, learned when winning.”

  • Lecce ready for tough challenge against Inter Milan – coach Roberto D’Aversa Lecce ready for tough challenge against Inter Milan – coach Roberto D’Aversa

    Lecce coach Roberto D’Aversa will have his team ready to tackle their own Mission Impossible when they host Serie A leaders Inter Milan on Sunday.

    The Nerazzurri have won all of their games so far in 2024 and head south with a nine-point advantage over second-placed Juventus, who have played a game more.

    Lecce may have won just twice in 20 league matches as they battle to stay clear of the relegation scrap, but D’Aversa insisted they would aim to meet Inter head on at the Stadio Via del Mare.

    “Inter are coming off nine consecutive victories, their statistics in 2024 are impressive, so it might seem impossible for us to get a result – but I believe nothing is impossible in football,” D’Aversa said at a press conference.

    “There are a few positive aspects, for example that we are on home turf. We need to cause problems for a team who played in the Champions League midweek (against Atletico Madrid).

    “I don’t believe the idea we have nothing to lose, as there is always something to lose. We just have to give our best and see how it goes.”

    Lecce will be without defenders Patrick Dorgu and Marin Pongracic through suspension, while Federico Brancolini, Jeppe Corfitzen and Kastriot Dermaku are all still injured.

    D’Aversa said: “Federico Baschirotto is fit and should start tomorrow (in defence), I have two possibilities to choose from on who will be next to him.

    “(Santiago) Pierotti is improving and needs time to settle, while (forward) Lameck Banda has recovered and we’ll see if he can start tomorrow.”

    Inter goalkeeper Yann Sommer is set to miss Sunday’s game after being laid low by a flu virus, so Emil Audero is in line to make his Serie A debut, having playing only twice in the Champions League and Coppa Italia.

    French forward Marcus Thuram is injured, along with Francesco Acerbi and Juan Cuadrado.

    Inter coach Simone Inzaghi could look to rotate the team, with a rescheduled league game at home to Atalanta – who are chasing a top-four place – coming up on Wednesday.

    Defender Alessandro Bastoni could be rested, as one more yellow card would see him serve a suspension.

  • Former QPR forward Stan Bowles dies aged 75 following Alzheimer’s battle Former QPR forward Stan Bowles dies aged 75 following Alzheimer’s battle

    Former QPR forward Stan Bowles has died at the age of 75 after a long battle with Alzheimer’s disease, the club have announced.

    Bowles started his career as an apprentice at Manchester City, later joining Fourth Division Crewe and then Carlisle.

    After signing for QPR in 1972, Bowles went on to make 315 league appearances, scoring 97 goals over seven seasons, and was part of the team which finished runners-up to Liverpool in the old First Division under Dave Sexton in 1975-76.

    QPR said in a club statement: “It is with a heavy heart we have learned that QPR icon Stan Bowles sadly passed away this evening (Saturday), aged 75.

    “All our thoughts are with his family and friends at this incredibly difficult time. May he rest in peace.

    “The club will be confirming how we will be paying a fitting tribute to Stan in due course.”

    Regarded as one of England’s top talents as well as a maverick, Bowles moved to Nottingham Forest under Brian Clough in 1979, but just a year later joined Second Division Leyton Orient.

    Despite his talents, Bowles won just five England caps, his only international goal coming against Wales at Ninian Park in 1974.

    Bowles wound down his playing career back in west London with Brentford and retired in 1984, moving into after-dinner speaking, as well as some pundit work and a betting column. His 1996 autobiography revealed the extent of his drinking, womanising and gambling during his playing days.

    Upon being diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, Bowles moved back to Manchester to be cared for by his eldest daughter, Andria.

    In 2017, QPR hosted a benefit match in Bowles’ honour, playing against Bournemouth to help raise funds for his continuing care.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.