EPL

Guardiola has no Anfield doubts over 'incredible, exceptional' Sterling

By Sports Desk February 06, 2021

Raheem Sterling's lack of goals at Anfield is of no concern to Pep Guardiola head of Manchester City's crunch trip to face Liverpool on Sunday.

The England forward has scored three times in his past four Premier League appearances, helping to prolong a nine-match winning run that has put Guardiola's men on top of the table.

Sterling is his club's top scorer in all competitions this season with 10, although his record against the team he left to join City in 2015 is paltry.

In 14 matches for City against Liverpool, the 26-year-old has scored twice - the opener in the 2019 Community Shield at Wembley and the second in a 4-0 win over Jurgen Klopp's freshly crowned champions at the Etihad Stadium last July.

Six return visits to Anfield have drawn a blank, but Guardiola believes Sterling's performances overall have been up to the mark - highlighting his contribution as City went down 3-1 last season on Merseyside.

"I remember last time, when we lost 3-1 there, he made an incredible, exceptional game," Guardiola said of an all-action display culminating in a flashpoint with Liverpool defender Joe Gomez, an incident that infamously spilled over into England duty the following week.

"With this, I am more than satisfied.

"Of course, I want my strikers and attacking midfielders to score - everyone, two goals a game.

"That's what I want and he wants more than me. He likes to play on the biggest stages.

"I don't have doubts about this. But what I want is us to do it all together."

Indeed, the goals that have fired City back to the summit following a poor start to the campaign - they can go 10 points clear of fourth-placed Liverpool with a game in hand if they prevail this weekend - have necessarily been a collective endeavour.

Sergio Aguero, the club's all-time leading scorer, remains on the mend following a bout of coronavirus, his season having already been decimated by knee and hamstring problems.

City's leading creator Kevin De Bruyne (hamstring) will also miss out this weekend, although the likes of Phil Foden (nine goals in all competitions) and Ilkay Gundogan (nine in all competitions, seven in the Premier League) have come to the fore.

Of City players to have scored six or more goals this season - Ferran Torres (eight), Gabriel Jesus (seven) and Riyad Mahrez (six) complete the group along - Sterling has the best shooting accuracy (excluding blocks) at 72.7 per cent.

Gundogan, whose first Premier League goal of the campaign only came in the 1-1 draw against West Brom on December 15, has the best conversion rate of 24.3 per cent, with Foden and Sterling together on 16.7 behind Jesus (18).

Sterling has registered the most shots on target with 32 but has missed 14 of what Opta classes as "big chances", scoring seven.

Foden, Gundogan and Torres have only missed 10 big chances between them. On that metric, Gundogan has the best conversion rate of 62.5 per cent (scored five, missed three).

Spain international Torres, whose campaign was interrupted around the turn of the year by a positive COVID-19 test, has the best minutes-per-goal rate of 169.6, ahead of Gundogan (188.4).

One goal every 220.6 minutes places Sterling fifth out of the six, ahead of only Mahrez on 303.2. This is down on 2019-20, when he averaged a goal every 128.7 minutes en route to 31 in total - the most prolific season of his career.

"Our top scorer in the Premier League is seven goals, maybe in 14th or 15th position [in the league overall]," Guardiola said.

"If we don't understand what we have done so far, all together, we are going to drop.

"Everyone is going to solve for us, everyone is going to save us. It's going to be the team, the group.

"When that happens, we can compete. When we believe, for myself, I am going to do it or this guy alongside me is going to solve the game, we are going to lose."

He added: "Our success all the time when we are together was the quality we had as a players in a team.

"In the individual statistics we are far away from the best clubs. But our statistics as a team are really good. That is why we are first."

Related items

  • Emery braced for 'unwanted' exits amid Foyth to Barca talk Emery braced for 'unwanted' exits amid Foyth to Barca talk

    Villarreal head coach Unai Emery is braced for "unwanted" departures before the transfer window closes amid reports that Juan Foyth is a target for Barcelona.

    Barca are said to have turned their attention to right-back Foyth after Cesar Azpilicueta decided to stay at Chelsea.

    The Yellow Submarine are reported to have told LaLiga rivals Barca they would have to fork out €42million to take the Argentina international to Camp Nou before the end of the month.

    Emery, who signed a five-year deal when he joined Villarreal from Tottenham in June 2021, revealed Foyth is not fit for a Europa Conference League play-off tie against Hajduk Split on Thursday.

    Yeremy Pino has been linked with Emery's former club Arsenal and Emery knows he may lose key men, but says both players are happy at the club.

    He said during a press conference on Wednesday: "It is not affecting us. The market closes on August 31 and it does not make much sense, although those who make the decision will see some sense.

    "In England they wanted to change the date, but in the end it was detrimental to the English market. The logical thing would be close at the beginning of August. Juan Foyth is not going to be here tomorrow because he has discomfort.

    "What can affect us is that there may be unwanted exit movements. What harms the most is something unforeseen, such as a significant clause payment or the player considers an offer very attractive."

    He added: "About these latest rumours that have come out of Yeremy and Foyth, we are testing how the players can be. Foyth is very happy here, grateful to the club and to what he is experiencing here with us.

    "He gives me a lot of peace of mind. He is not available. You have to know what the club thinks, which we know, and the player, which we already know. What Barcelona thinks, I don't know."

  • West Ham sign Germany defender Kehrer from PSG West Ham sign Germany defender Kehrer from PSG

    West Ham have signed Germany international defender Thilo Kehrer from Paris Saint-Germain in a reported £10.1million (€12m) deal.

    Kehrer has penned a four-year contract at London Stadium with the option of a further two years and becomes West Ham's sixth signing of the window.

    The 25-year-old has spent the past four seasons with PSG and played 128 times for the Ligue 1 side, a tally bettered only by five others since the start of the 2018-19 season.

    He won seven trophies with the Parisians, including three Ligue 1 titles, and was part of the squad that reached the 2019-20 Champions League final.

    At international level, Kehrer has been capped 20 times by Germany, with no player featuring more times since Hansi Flick took over as head coach in May 2021. 

    Kehrer, who was into the final year of his PSG contract and had also been linked with Sevilla, is now looking forward to beginning a new chapter in the English top flight.

    "I'm very excited to sign for West Ham," Kehrer, who can play at left-back or centre-back, told his new club's official website.

    "This is the best league in the world and I'm excited about coming to play in the Premier League. I talked to the manager and he told me about how he sees me fitting in at the club. 

    "My biggest goal now is to get into the team, integrate myself within the group and enjoy playing for West Ham."

    Kehrer follows Nayef Aguerd, Alphonse Areola, Gianluca Scamacca, Maxwel Cornet and Flynn Downes in joining West Ham this window.

    David Moyes' side have begun their Premier League campaign with back-to-back defeats without scoring and next face Viborg in a Europa Conference League qualifier on Thursday.

  • 'We don't have Azerbaijan to play' – Tite hits back at Mbappe's CONMEBOL comments 'We don't have Azerbaijan to play' – Tite hits back at Mbappe's CONMEBOL comments

    Brazil head coach Tite has rebuffed Kylian Mbappe's suggestion that World Cup qualifying is more difficult for teams in Europe than it is in South America.

    Paris Saint-Germain and France forward Mbappe said in May that European teams have an advantage in the global showpiece due to playing "high-level matches" in qualifying.

    Mbappe, who lifted the World Cup with France in 2018, added that football in South America "is not as developed as in Europe".

    However, Brazil boss Tite does not agree with those comments and feels the quality of football in the CONMEBOL region is as high as anywhere in the world.

    "Maybe he is talking about these Nations League clashes or European friendlies, but not World Cup qualifiers," Tite told ESPN.

    "We don't have, with all due respect, Azerbaijan to play. We don't have anyone that gives you a break.

    "The qualifiers here have a much higher degree of difficulty than the group stage [of European qualifying]."

    The past four editions of the World Cup have been won by European teams – Italy in 2006, Spain in 2010, Germany in 2014 and France in 2018.

    That is the longest run of victories for a single continent in the history of the tournament, with only one runner-up – Argentina in 2014 – coming from outside the continent.

    Indeed, 12 of the previous 21 World Cups have been won by European teams, with South America responsible for the other nine winners.

    France booked their spot at Qatar 2022 by finishing top of their qualifying group with five wins and three draws from their eight matches.

    Brazil also went unbeaten in qualifying thanks to 14 wins and three draws en route to finishing six points ahead of Argentina in top spot in the 10-team pool.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.