Liverpool v Burnley: Anfield streak ends but goal drought continues as Pope saves all

By Sports Desk January 21, 2021

After thrashing Crystal Palace 7-0 on December 19, Liverpool were six points clear at the Premier League summit. 

Roberto Firmino, Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah were all on target in the clinical rout at Selhurst Park, after which Jurgen Klopp said: "It was really difficult to play against us."

The reigning champions had seemingly found top gear again. 

Fast forward to January 21 and, following a stunning 1-0 loss to Burnley at Anfield, Liverpool were left to wonder just where it had all gone so badly wrong.  

For a fourth successive outing in the league they had failed to score, while the shock result sees them stuck in fourth position in the table, six points behind leaders Manchester United. 

Never mind moving through the gears: the wheels have well and truly come off. 


Ashley Barnes' penalty condemned the Reds to a first home defeat in the league since April 23, 2017. It had been three years and 273 days since former Liverpool player Christian Benteke struck twice for Palace in a 2-1 triumph. 

The run of 68 games unbeaten was the second longest in English top-flight history. During the streak, there were 55 wins, 176 goals scored and 36 clean sheets. A total of 43 players were used, too.

Joel Matip, Georginio Wijnaldum, Firmino and Divock Origi were also in the starting XI that were beaten by Palace, managed by Sam Allardyce, nearly four years ago, while Trent Alexander-Arnold came on as a late substitute.


Since Mane's early strike in the 1-1 draw against West Brom on December 27, Liverpool have registered 87 shots in the Premier League without managing to find the net. Eighty. Seven. Shots.

It was not for a lack of trying against Burnley, admittedly. They had 27 total attempts, their most in a single league match without scoring since April 2013 versus Reading (28).  

The absence of Jordan Henderson did not help. Even prior to kick-off, Liverpool had lost more of their 11 Premier League games without their captain (3) than they had in 45 games with him (2) since the start of last season.


This is not yet uncharted territory for Klopp at Liverpool; he previously went five league games without a win between January and February in 2017. 

That barren run four years ago included fixtures against Sunderland and Hull City – clubs now in the third tier of English football – and a home defeat to current Championship side Swansea City, who were celebrating at Anfield thanks to goals from Fernando Llorente (two) and Gylfi Sigurdsson.

However, Klopp has never previously gone four without a goal during his Reds tenure. The previous time that happened in his coaching career was while in charge of Mainz, who suffered a drought in the Bundesliga late in 2006.


Nick Pope excelled when Burnley ended Liverpool's 100 per cent home record in their title-winning campaign – and the goalkeeper was once again in outstanding form on Merseyside.

The England international made six saves to keep a clean sheet, having produced eight in his side's 1-1 draw in July at the same ground. Since the start of the 2019-20 season, no keeper has made more saves against a single opponent in the Premier League than Pope against Liverpool (19).

Barnes' penalty was the second spot-kick Liverpool have conceded at home this season too – they had only given up two penalty goals at Anfield under Klopp before 2020-21.

There is plenty for the German to ponder, then. While retaining the trophy is far from out of reach, what appeared to be a temporary blip is in danger of turning into a full-blown crisis.

Related items

  • Hull held by well-drilled Plymouth Hull held by well-drilled Plymouth

    Streetwise Plymouth frustrated Hull to earn a 1-1 draw at the MKM Stadium.

    Argyle have struggled away from home since their return to the Sky Bet Championship.

    But they were decent value for a point which was largely gained because of the late heroics of goalkeeper Conor Hazard.

    Hull also looked up against it when Adam Randell scored for the visitors after 22 minutes.

    The Tigers were fortunate to have equalised after Regan Slater capitalised upon two errors from defender Macaulay Gillesphey just before half-time.

    And though Plymouth had to withstand relative pressure, they arguably deserved a share of the spoils.

    Hull, albeit attractive on the eye and competent in possession, were, offensively, short of ideas for most of the game.

    Jaden Philogene skied one over the crossbar after 15 minutes, but that was a a rare highlight for home fans.

    Plymouth, suitably inspired by their 6-2 defeat at home to Watford last weekend, might have been forgiven for going for the jugular at the MKM Stadium.

    But they were patient from the outset and wisely chose their moments going forward in the first half.

    Their opening goal came when Bali Mumba found a pocket of space on the left wing and his cross was parried to the right by goalkeeper Ryan Allsop, with the resulting deflection smartly steered home by Randell from a tricky angle.

    Home supporters demanded a response, but it was not immediately forthcoming.

    If anything, Hull should have been 2-0 down after 27 minutes when high-pressing Argyle hustled the hosts out of possession on the edge of the penalty area. Finn Azaz’s low strike was almost perfect, but the ball struck the base of the right post before squirting along the chalk of the line for a goal-kick.

    Hull finally kicked on after 35 minutes when left-back Ruben Vinagre sent over a fine cross into Plymouth’s box. Adama Traore should have equalised, but his strong header went over the crossbar.

    But Plymouth manager Steven Schumacher will have been quite content by the pattern of the game – until Gillesphey’s defensive meltdown.

    The 27-year-old firstly conceded possession to Philogene on the left, from where the ball appeared destined to bounce into touch.

    But Gillesphey was too complacent – and Philogene reacted. He seized control and then crossed, through the legs of Dan Scarr, towards the back post where Slater could not miss.

    Hull dominated possession in the second half but other than Aaron Connolly’s sharp strike that fizzed just wide of the right post, Hazard was rarely troubled until late in the piece.

    Randell might even have won the game after 71 minutes when his half-volley inside the box was pawed over the crossbar by Allsop.

    Substitute Liam Delap set the tone for a late flurry of pressure after his powerful strike from the right was well tipped over by Hazard, who also did brilliantly to deny Tyler Morton and Alfie Jones at the death.

    Yet Hull head coach Liam Rosenior must wonder why it took his side so long to get going, whereas Schumacher will view this as a fine result given Plymouth’s issues on the road.

  • Michael Cheek bags brace as 10-man Bromley halt unbeaten Gateshead streak Michael Cheek bags brace as 10-man Bromley halt unbeaten Gateshead streak

    Gateshead’s seven-match unbeaten run in the National League came to an end after a 3-1 defeat at 10-man Bromley.

    After a goalless first half, Michael Cheek put the home side in front in the 55th minute with a shot into the bottom corner.

    Marcus Dinanga levelled for Gateshead, who were on a three-game winning streak, with 20 minutes to go but Byron Webster restored Bromley’s lead with a header from a corner four minutes later.

    Lewis Leigh was sent off deep into stoppage time for a second yellow but the game was over moments later when Cheek grabbed his second on the counter attack.

  • Ebbsfleet see off Boreham Wood Ebbsfleet see off Boreham Wood

    Goals from Darren McQueen (2) and Luke O’Neill steered Ebbsfleet to a 3-1 home win over Boreham Wood in the Vanarama National League.

    O’Neill broke the deadlock in the 20th minute after McQueen’s rebound had fallen for him, before McQueen doubled the lead 10 minutes later.

    Angelo Balanta brought Boreham Wood back into the contest in the 36th minute, slotting into the corner.

    However, the influential McQueen completed his double with 20 minutes to go, completing the scoring and ensuring three points for the hosts.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.