Klopp takes the blame as goal-shy Liverpool left stunned by Burnley

By Sports Desk January 21, 2021

Jurgen Klopp accepted full responsibility after Liverpool's 68-game unbeaten home run in the Premier League came to a stunning end against Burnley on Thursday.

The Reds' title defence spluttered further as they failed to score for a fourth successive league outing, Ashley Barnes' 83rd-minute penalty consigning them to a shock defeat on Merseyside.

Liverpool had not been beaten at their own ground in the top flight since April 2017, three years and 273 days ago. Crystal Palace were the last visiting team to triumph at Anfield.

Klopp saw the hosts have 27 total shots - the most Liverpool have had in a single league match without finding the net since April 2013 - and 72 per cent possession, yet they once again drew a blank.

"We lost the game, which I think is actually impossible to lose but we did it," Klopp told Sky Sports. 

"That's my fault because my job is to make sure the boys have the right feelings, the right amount of confidence, they make the right decisions and all these kinds of things and that obviously didn't work out for tonight because we had the ball a lot.  

"We created some situations, it was all okay, but in the final moment obviously our decision-making is not right at the moment and that's the problem.  

"You have the ball in the right place, then you don't shoot, then you pass, I'm pretty sure I said the same thing last week and the problem is if something doesn't work you have to try harder, longer, more often and again and again and make better decisions. 

"It obviously didn't work out tonight and that's what we have to admit. Nothing to say about it, that's why we lost the game."

Since Sadio Mane's 12th-minute strike in the 1-1 draw with West Brom on December 27, Liverpool have had 87 shots without scoring.

The shock loss leaves them six points behind leaders Manchester United, while they have gone five Premier League games without a win for just the second time in Klopp's tenure.

Asked to explain his side's problem finding the net, Klopp said:  "I never thought about us as a free-scoring side or unit. We have to do a lot of things right to arrive in these positions.

"It's not the first time it has happened in football and it won't be the last time. The good thing is we can change it - we just have to work on it.

"Tonight we cannot do that for this game, but we can use it for the next one.

"It's not that we don't create the chances because the players don't have the ability to do so, it's our decision-making that's the problem."

Liverpool are back in action on Sunday in the FA Cup, travelling to Old Trafford to take on United in the fourth round of the competition.

Related items

  • Ebbsfleet see off Boreham Wood Ebbsfleet see off Boreham Wood

    Goals from Darren McQueen (2) and Luke O’Neill steered Ebbsfleet to a 3-1 home win over Boreham Wood in the Vanarama National League.

    O’Neill broke the deadlock in the 20th minute after McQueen’s rebound had fallen for him, before McQueen doubled the lead 10 minutes later.

    Angelo Balanta brought Boreham Wood back into the contest in the 36th minute, slotting into the corner.

    However, the influential McQueen completed his double with 20 minutes to go, completing the scoring and ensuring three points for the hosts.

  • Padraig Amond scores stunner as Woking beat lowly AFC Fylde Padraig Amond scores stunner as Woking beat lowly AFC Fylde

    Lewis Walker scored on his debut as Woking returned to winning ways with a 2-0 victory at National League strugglers AFC Fylde.

    Experienced striker Padraig Amond netted the opening goal in the 13th minute with a stunning free-kick from 25 yards.

    After a lengthy delay which resulted in the fourth official taking over from one of the assistant referees, Woking came close to doubling their lead when Dan Moss’ cross flashed across goal.

    Walker, signed on loan from Gillingham on Friday, did make it 2-0 just six minutes after coming on at half-time, when he nodded home.

  • Kidderminster lose again as Barnet take the win Kidderminster lose again as Barnet take the win

    First-half goals from Anthony Hartigan and Callum Stead put Barnet on the path to a 2-1 victory over Kidderminster to deepen the Harriers’ woes.

    Rock-bottom of the Vanarama National League and nursing a four-match losing run, Kidderminster stumbled out of the traps as Hartigan put the Bees ahead with an excellent free-kick that found the top corner.

    Kidderminster might have had an instant response but Alex Penny’s volley whistled over the bar before Stead grabbed his first Barnet goal when he headed home from close range after 27 minutes.

    The hosts gave themselves hope when Krystian Pearce nodded in from Joe Leesley’s cross in the 64th minute but they could find no way through again and Barnet held on for their second win of the week.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.