EPL

The gloves are off – Bruce blasts Newcastle players after 'absolutely s****' Sheffield United performance

By Sports Desk January 15, 2021

Steve Bruce unleashed a furious assessment of his Newcastle United players, branding their performance at Sheffield United "absolutely s***" and declaring "the gloves are off now".

The Magpies were beaten 1-0 at Bramall Lane on Tuesday to become the first team to lose to the Blades in the Premier League this season.

They were also the first side to fail to score against Sheffield United in the top flight since July as they lost to a team starting the day bottom of the table for the first time since October 2015.

Bruce has come in for increasing criticism from fans for his team's performances during an eight-game winless run in which they have exited the EFL Cup and FA Cup, as well as suffering four league losses.

The Newcastle head coach accepts he got things wrong against Sheffield United but claims some critics have always felt he was "never the right choice".

After their latest setback, Bruce has made it clear he will not tolerate anything but a commitment to his methods at St James' Park.

"I've let them be comfortable," he said of his players. "But, like I say, the gloves are off now and we will do it my way. We've played a certain way to try to get the results we need.

"We were absolutely fr****** hopeless the other night; we were absolutely s****. Unfortunately, that's happened a little too often in my 18 months here; it was nowhere near good enough for the challenge ahead. Maybe it's a mentality thing.

"If you're a Premier League manager you can't accept what happened at Sheffield United. We were completely and utterly hopeless and I have to accept what's coming my way. If I was a supporter I'd be concerned."

While the loss to Sheffield United was the nadir of their season, the signs have been worrying for Newcastle for some weeks.

Much of the criticism of Bruce has centred on a perceived negative style of play, with Newcastle having averaged the lowest possession (37.8 per cent) and completed the second-fewest passes (4,430) in the Premier League this season.

Only Burnley and West Brom have attempted fewer shots than Newcastle's 150, which have yielded 18 goals, the fifth-lowest total in the division. Only five teams have conceded more than their 27 goals and just three have kept fewer than their three clean sheets.

"I wouldn't expect to be reassured after the other night," Bruce said of his position. "I pick the team, I got it wrong and I have to take responsibility. I don't want reassurances. I understand it's nowhere near good enough so let's get ready for the challenge ahead.

"If you look at my record over the years, I've got enough on my CV to make sure I can slowly take the club forward. Some would argue against that. I accept that. In some people's eyes, I was never the right choice. I understand that."

Related items

  • Hooper says Australia will 'rtp in' against fierce rivals England in first Test Hooper says Australia will 'rtp in' against fierce rivals England in first Test

    Michael Hooper says Australia are ready to "rip in" and "turn the ledger" on England when they do battle in the first Test on Saturday.

    England have won eight consecutive matches against the Wallabies ahead of the showdown at Optus Stadium.

    Australia captain Hooper is determined to end that dismal run in Perth this weekend and take a 1-0 lead over Eddie Jones' side in the three-match series

    "It's a motivation to win and turn the ledger," he said.

    "We have three games at home to do it. It’s been a long time since we’ve played these fellas out here, so we're excited about it.

    "It's the top rivalry, isn’t it? Having the Ashes at the back end of last year and this year, the whole of Australian population gets behind whether they're here or in England, it's bragging rights, so it's big for the fans and us.

    "There’s some great history between the two teams and two teams rolling into a World Cup next year.

    "We're really excited, history hasn’t been in our favour for quite some time now against the English and we're keen to rip in.

    "They’re always a tough outfit. They’ve picked a powerful team with some real skill and experience involved there. We’re expecting a tough time."

    Hooker David Porecki and lock Cadeyrn Neville will make their Wallabies debuts on Saturday.

    At the age of 33 years and 235 days, Neville is to become the third-oldest Australia debutant since World War II.

     

  • Qatar 2022 World Cup to implement semi-automated offside VAR Qatar 2022 World Cup to implement semi-automated offside VAR

    FIFA has confirmed it will utilise semi-automated VAR offside technology at the Qatar 2022 World Cup later this year, says head of refereeing Pierluigi Collina.

    The move to introduce further advancements in the VAR process for this year's showpiece tournament has been ongoing over the past few months.

    Following trials at the Arab Cup and Club World Cup, the fresh processes – which can cut VAR decision-making from 70 seconds to 25 seconds – is set to be implemented in the Gulf State in November.

    Collina, a former World Cup final referee when he took charge of Brazil's win over Germany at Korea/Japan 2002, says the time is now to bring in semi-automated technology, which will further enhance decision-making.

    "We are very positive. It is ready," he stated. "I read about robot referees. I understand this is very good for headlines, but it is not the case.

    "The match officials are still involved in the decision-making process. The semi-automated technology only gives an answer when a player is in an offside position when they play the ball.

    "The assessment of interfering with an opponent and seeing if a handball or foul was committed remains at the discretion of the referee. Our goal is to get referees taking decisions correctly on the field.

    "If something wrong should happen, the referee may take advantage of the technology to get a better vision of what happened – but there will still be room for discussion."

    Semi-automated technology will make use of in-ball sensors, dedicated multi-tracking camera rigs and 29 rapid data points on players to help calculate exact positions.

    The Qatar 2022 World Cup opens on November 21, with Senegal facing the Netherlands and England squaring off with Iran before the hosts play the official opening game against Ecuador.

  • Tolisso returns to Lyon on five-year deal Tolisso returns to Lyon on five-year deal

    Corentin Tolisso has returned to Lyon on a five-year deal after leaving Bayern Munich.

    The 27-year-old midfielder left Lyon to join Bayern for a fee of €41.5million in 2017 and experienced five successful years with the Bavarian giants.

    Tolisso won five Bundesliga titles, lifted the Champions League in 2021 and the DFB-Pokal twice.

    A World Cup winner with France in 2018, he also won the Club World Cup and the European Super Cup two years ago.

    Tolisso was available as a free agent after his Bayern contract expired and has opted to move back to the club where he started his career.

    He told the club's official website: "I'm very happy to come back and be part of the club's new project.

    "Lyon is my city, it's where I grew up, where I feel good and I come back with great pleasure.

    "I felt a lot of love from the supporters and I can't wait to vibrate with them again at Groupama Stadium."

    Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas said: "This is a very big day for me. Corentin is a very great player and also a great man. We are continuing ambitious recruitment based on OL DNA"

    Tolisso will be reunited with Alexandre Lacazette, who also returned to Lyon after leaving Arsenal.

     

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.