EPL

Brighton appoint De Zerbi as Potter's successor

By Sports Desk September 18, 2022

Brighton and Hove Albion have announced Roberto De Zerbi as their new head coach.

The Italian has been named as Graham Potter's successor after putting pen to paper on a four-year deal at the Amex Stadium on Sunday.

De Zerbi takes charge with Brighton fourth in the Premier League following an impressive start to the season under Potter, who departed for Chelsea on September 8, having taken 13 points from their opening six games.

The 43-year-old, who had been out of work since leaving Shakhtar Donetsk in July because of the war in Ukraine, will first take charge of Brighton away at Liverpool on October 1.

Albion chairman Tony Bloom told the club's official website: "I am absolutely thrilled Roberto has agreed to become our new head coach. 

"Roberto's teams play an exciting and courageous brand of football, and I am confident his style and tactical approach will suit our existing squad superbly."

De Zerbi also brings Serie A experience to the Brighton dugout, having managed Palermo, Benevento and Sassuolo in the Italian top flight.

The former Milan and Napoli attacking midfielder notably guided Sassuolo to successive eighth-place finishes during his three-year stint with the Italian side.

Brighton chief executive Paul Barber said: "We looked at a range of excellent candidates but Roberto was our number one choice from the start and the only person we spoke to.  

"It's no secret our chairman is constantly monitoring potential coaches, both here in our domestic leagues, throughout Europe and across the world as part of our succession planning work. 

"We feel Roberto is the ideal cultural and technical fit for Brighton and Hove Albion, and the right person to continue the club's progress and work with this outstanding group of players."

Related items

  • Title-chasing PSG ready for tough game at Lorient, says boss Luis Enrique Title-chasing PSG ready for tough game at Lorient, says boss Luis Enrique

    Paris Saint-Germain could secure their third straight Ligue 1 title if they defeat Lorient and Monaco fail to beat Lille – but Luis Enrique is not expecting his struggling opponents to hand them any favours.

    If Monaco draw or lose against Lille on Wednesday and PSG win away at 17th-placed Lorient, the Parisians would clinch their record 12th league title.

    Luis Enrique's side have an 11-point lead over second-placed Monaco with five matches remaining, and a far superior goal difference having lost just one game.

    "It's going to be a very difficult game," Enrique told reporters on Tuesday. "When you're at the bottom of the table, you don't have much to lose.

    "Generally, teams at the bottom of the table manage to get unexpected results at the end of the season.

    "There's a lot at stake. The possibility of being crowned champions is enough to make you pay attention."

    The former Barcelona boss, who moved to the French capital last July, is chasing a possible quadruple after PSG booked a Champions League semi-final berth and a spot in the Coupe de France final. PSG secured the Trophee des Champions title in January.

    "It motivates us but for the moment, we only have one title, we have to win the league and keep fighting to win it all. It's a long and winding road ahead," Luis Enrique said.

    Luis Enrique once again declined to comment on the future of Kylian Mbappe, Ligue 1's highest scorer for the last five seasons.

    France captain Mbappe, 25, has been heavily linked with a move to Spanish giants Real Madrid.

    PSG, formed in 1970 via the merger of Paris Football Club and Stade Saint-Germain, have won nine of the last 11 Ligue 1 titles.

    Mbappe's frustration lies with their performances in the Champions League, however, a trophy they have never lifted despite huge amounts of investment in the squad.

    "When Kylian speaks in public, I'll do the same," Luis Enrique said.

  • Grant McCann hails ‘outstanding’ response as Doncaster close on play-off spot Grant McCann hails ‘outstanding’ response as Doncaster close on play-off spot

    Grant McCann was a proud man after Doncaster won 4-1 at Colchester to register a 10th straight victory and move into the play-off places.

    Colchester took a ninth-minute lead through Jayden Fevrier, who converted Tom Hopper’s cross at the far post, but remain in relegation danger after Rovers’ emphatic comeback.

    Luke Molyneux equalised after collecting Jamie Sterry’s short free-kick and scoring with a low 25-yard shot and Doncaster took a 22nd-minute lead through Harrison Biggins, who netted from close range from Molyneux’s delivery.

    Tom Anderson netted a third in the 76th minute at the near post from Hakeeb Adelakun’s pass, and Joe Ironside sealed victory when he converted after Sam Hornby had tipped James Maxwell’s shot onto a post.

    A point on the final day against Gillingham will seal a play-off spot regardless of results elsewhere and McCann said: “I’m really proud.

    “Obviously conceding early wasn’t ideal for us but the response was outstanding.

    “We scored two very good goals, the first one from Mols (Molyneux) and the second one was another very good goal and something we knew could help us in the game, Biggo’s (Biggins) runs from the centre circle in between the posts after good play by Mols.

    “In the first half, we were a little bit edgy and it was a little bit even Steven in the game.

    “But in the second half, we were really comfortable and scored another couple of really good goals.

    “We always play for more goals; we never sit tight and take what we’ve got – that’s just the way we like to go about things.

    “We came up against a team that’s obviously down the wrong end of the table and we knew it was going to be tough.”

    Fevrier had Colchester on track to secure survival but they go into Saturday’s final game just three points above the drop zone, with their goal difference superior by four over Sutton.

    Colchester boss Danny Cowley said: “It was a tough night for us.

    “We have the ability to self-harm, to self-destruct, in a game where we let four terrible goals in.

    “For 75 minutes, it was 2-1 and they’ve had three shots at goal, two from 30 yards, and somehow they’re winning the game.

    “We were 2-1 down at half-time where we felt we shouldn’t have been, as we’d done a lot right.

    “We were in total ascendency and they don’t even want to score any more goals, they want to hang onto what they’ve got and we gift them another two goals.

    “I’ve just looked back at the goals and they’re very hard to defend.

    “We actually played well box to box but you can’t say you’ve played well when we’ve conceded the goals that we have.

    “It’s a damaging night and I’m really angry. We just did the basics so poorly.”

  • Barrow must stick together in quest to secure play-off spot – Pete Wild Barrow must stick together in quest to secure play-off spot – Pete Wild

    Barrow boss Pete Wild stressed his side must stick together to secure a League Two play-off spot on the final day of the season.

    The Bluebirds suffered a fifth defeat in a painful six-game winless run with a last-gasp 2-1 loss to Bradford.

    It means they have to get a result when they host promoted Mansfield on Saturday.

    Bobby Pointon opened the scoring with a great strike in the first half before Kian Spence levelled with a free-kick after the break.

    But former on-loan Barrow forward Tyler Smith came off the bench to score a bruising stoppage-time winner against his old club.

    And Wild said: “We didn’t do anything with or without the ball. We were frustrated at half-time. I told them ‘we’ve got to have a go and try to get over the line’.

    “We played really well second half, had a go, came out fighting and got the goal, but it wasn’t enough.

    “We were on the front foot. We kept trying to throw subs on to put impetus into the game and you get hit by a sucker punch at the end.

    “We had four chances to clear the ball and that’s been the month hasn’t it. There have been key moments in game, chances and opportunities with the football and we’ve not done that.

    “We weren’t getting a glove on them and we had to try and be braver, second half.

    “I will never make it about them, it’s about us. We’re all a collective. We will win together and lose together and that’s how we’ve gone through the season.

    “What we have to do now is just stick together and try to keep going.

    “Across the last four games you have seen glimpses of us, but not enough of us across a full 90 minutes to get over the line.”

    The Bantams were indebted to Sheffield-born Smith’s late winner for their fourth-straight win.

    Boss Graham Alexander said: “I’m pleased that the players have once again showed character and personality to once again get a win from a game we should never have been drawing anyway.

    “We were brilliant in the first half and should have been two or three up. But we weren’t and a good team like Barrow are going to come back into it and have a spell of pressure and momentum.

    “Ultimately they got a goal from it. From our perspective it’s a poor one to concede going through the wall.

    “Our performance became a bit flat after that. They had real quality and gained chances.

    “The subs that came on halted their momentum.

    “They were going for it as well and it was going to be (down to) who had that quality to score.

    “To be fair to Tyler, he would have been under massive pressure in his own head, but he stuck it in the corner so fair play to him.”

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.