It will be weird – Wood shocked by Anderson and Broad omissions from West Indies tour

By Sports Desk February 19, 2022

Mark Wood was shocked by England's decision to leave James Anderson and Stuart Broad out of next month's Test series with West Indies. 

England head to the Caribbean next week for the three-Test series against the Windies, with the opening match to be contested in Antigua from March 8. 

Joe Root's side then head to Barbados for the second Test (March 16-20) before concluding the series in Grenada (March 24-28). 

The tourists are looking to respond after their recent comprehensive 4-0 defeat by Australia in the Ashes. 

Wood was one of the few players to emerge with any credibility from the chastening tour, taking 17 wickets along the way and registering an impressive 6-37 during the final Test. 

The second-most experienced seamer in the squad with 25 caps after Chris Woakes (42), he is set to embark on his first tour without Anderson and Broad, who were left out by the selection panel. 

Wood admits it will be strange but knows the duo will be on hand to support the squad if required. 

"I was shocked [when they were left out]," he said. "I didn't see it coming at all.  

"It will be weird those two not being on tour; a first for me. Even when injured, they normally stay in the group. 

"But I know they'll be there on text if I need advice. And if they see something, they'd message too.  

"They're England fans, I know they've been there a long time, but they still just want England to win, and I'm 100 per cent sure they'll be back." 

Related items

  • Archer in need of 'fine-tuning' ahead of long-awaited England return Archer in need of 'fine-tuning' ahead of long-awaited England return

    England paceman Jofra Archer is just in need of some "fine-tuning" ahead of his long-awaited return to international action.

    Archer has endured a torrid time with injuries across the last three years, and has not featured for England in any format since March 2021.

    However, he is set to play against South Africa in a three-match ODI series, which starts in Bloemfontein on Friday.

    "Hopefully it can be a repeat of 2019," Archer told reporters. "We've got again a 50-over World Cup and an Ashes in the same year so more of the same, please.

    "There's no reason to look back. I've done my time and I'm here now. That's the most important thing.

    "I'd probably say I'm about 80 per cent [fit]. Just some fine-tuning now.

    "I know whenever I'm fully fit, I don't think there's much that can stop me, it's just a matter of when that was going to be."

    Archer has warmed up for England's tour of South Africa by taking eight wickets for MI Cape Town in the SA20.

    "Playing cricket again for the first time a few weeks ago, I'm still riding off that wave of emotions right now," said Archer, who is not expected to play in all three ODIs.

    "Hopefully in two days it can go up another level. It's just been good to play cricket and actually not have to worry about if my body's going to give way. I think that was the most important tick for me so far."

    England white-ball coach Matthew Mott is willing to be cautious with Archer's recovery.

    "We will work through it with him, see how his body is coping," Mott said. "I definitely think he is a high priority and he will be managed as well as possible. 

    "What he is very big on is not wasting too many balls in practice. He really loves his match balls and that's a great attest of his resilience.

    "We will keep talking to him about his bowling loads and how he's going."

    South Africa head into the series with ICC Men's Emerging Cricketer of the Year on board, Marco Jensen.

    However, only two of his 39 wickets, and 16 of his 234 runs, have come in ODIs.

  • Pakistan won't follow Australia in withdrawing from Afghanistan series Pakistan won't follow Australia in withdrawing from Afghanistan series

    Pakistan will not follow Australia in pulling out of their bilateral series against Afghanistan.

    Cricket Australia (CA) this month withdrew from a scheduled ODI series against Afghanistan, which was due to take place in March, because of the Taliban's treatment of women.

    CA announced it was opting out of the series following consultation with relevant stakeholders, including the Australian government.

    The Afghanistan Cricket Board (ACB) described that decision as "an unfortunate attempt to enter the realm of politics and politicise the sport", accusing CA of "prioritising political interests over the principles of fair play and sportsmanship".

    Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Najam Sethi on Monday vowed that Babar Azam's side will be taking on Afghanistan in what will now be a Twenty20 International series rather than ODIs at an offshore venue.

    Asked about the PCB stance on the reasons for Australia's withdrawal, he said: "That is not our business and we don't like to interfere in the internal affairs of other countries.

    "My personal stance is that politics and cricket shouldn't be mixed up, so following that principle the series is subject to pending approvals from the Pakistan government and I think approvals will be granted."

    Sethi explained why the matches will be 20 overs per side rather than 50, with both teams already assured of a place in the World Cup this year.

    He added: "I met with the executive members of Afghanistan Cricket Board and they were asking us to play an [ODI] series, but we didn't find any attraction playing the series.

    "It's mainly because the series was meant for the [Super League] points, and now no matter who wins it won't make a difference. So we agreed to play a series of three T20Is in Sharjah just after the PSL [Pakistan Super League], subject to government approval.

    "We will share 50 per cent of the revenue from the series equally and we will jointly outsource the production."

  • India race to series win after stunning start to second ODI India race to series win after stunning start to second ODI

    New Zealand failed to recover from a brutal start with the bat as they lost their second ODI against India by eight wickets, handing the hosts the series victory.

    India had held on for a 12-run win in the opening match earlier in the week, and it quickly became clear they would have little difficulty wrapping up the three-match series on Saturday.

    The Black Caps were reduced to 15-5 in the 11th over, neither protecting their wickets nor scoring at a rate that might begin to trouble the home side.

    A rally of sorts could only recover a score of 108 all out, their third-lowest total against India in the format, meaning Rohit Sharma's men could cruise to victory as they ended on 111-2.

    Rohit scored a swift 51 and Shubman Gill 40 not out as the reply required just over 20 overs.

    But much of the hard work had been done by the India attack, with Mohammed Shami (3-18) setting the tone when opener Finn Allen went for a duck in the first over.

    Mohammed Siraj also had a key early role, giving up only 10 runs across his six overs, before Shami had Michael Bracewell caught behind for 22 as New Zealand attempted to belatedly gain a foothold.

    When Mitchell Santner (27) and Glenn Phillips (36) went in consecutive overs, a hugely achievable target meant the result was inevitable.

    India bowlers share the load

    Shami led the way, but all six India bowlers ended with at least one wicket in a ruthless showing.

    The entire group contributed to an extremely economical display, too. Only Kuldeep Yadav did not bowl a maiden over, although his dismissal of Blair Tickner concluded the New Zealand innings, while everyone other than he and Shardul Thakar had an economy rate of 3.00 or lower.

    Rohit ramps up the scoring

    Bracewell's middling strike rate of 73.33 was New Zealand's best, but Rohit, scoring at 102.00, showed the tourists just what was possible in his destructive innings.

    The India captain hit nine boundaries, including two sixes. New Zealand as a team had found the boundary on only 13 occasions without a single maximum.

    Rohit was trapped attempting to play another shot, but by then he had reached his half-century and put India in complete control. They were 57-0 at the point the Black Caps had been five down.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.