EPL

Bournemouth midfielder Cook out for six-to-nine months

By Sports Desk December 06, 2018

Lewis Cook has suffered a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament and could be out for up to nine months, Premier League club Bournemouth have confirmed.

The 21-year-old midfielder sustained the injury during the Tuesday's 2-1 win over Huddersfield Town – a result that lifted the Cherries up to seventh in the table.

Cook won his maiden England cap during March's friendly against Italy before returning to the Under-21 set-up.

He will now miss the rest of the season, ruling him out of contention for the Three Lions' opening Euro 2020 qualifiers and the inaugural Nations League Finals in June.

"AFC Bournemouth midfielder Lewis Cook will be sidelined for six-to-nine months with a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament," a club statement read.

"Cook was assessed by the club's medical staff following the match, with further assessment and scans on Wednesday revealing the extent of the damage to his right knee."

Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe said: "We are all devastated for Lewis. It is a huge blow to a very talented player who has been a very important part of our side over the last 18 months.

"But Lewis is a strong character who only has to look around our dressing room for inspiration of how an injury like this is merely a setback and to know that he can come back better than ever.

"He will have the full support and love of everyone at the club throughout the next few months as he receives the very best treatment and rehabilitation possible."

Bournemouth, who are back in action at home to title chasing Liverpool this weekend, have had to deal with a succession of knee injuries to first-team players since promotion to the Premier League in 2015.

Defender Adam Smith will be sidelined into the new year with a cartilage tear, while top scorer Callum Wilson has twice sustained similar setback to the one Cook must endure.

Tyrone Mings missed the vast majority of the 2015-16 campaign after suffering torn knee ligaments 12 minutes into his debut against Leicester City.

Related items

  • Martial agent clouds long-term future after United trigger extension Martial agent clouds long-term future after United trigger extension

    Manchester United have automatically extended Anthony Martial's contract through to the end of next season but the player's agent remains "very pessimistic" about a longer-term commitment.

    The Premier League club triggered their option on a one-year extension to prevent the 23-year-old from leaving on a free transfer at the end of 2018-19.

    He is now tied down until 2020 but it appears Martial and the club remain a long way from settling negotiations over a reported five-year contract offer.

    Martial's agent Philippe Lamboley, who in June said his client wanted to leave Old Trafford, revealed to RMC Sport that he is dissatisfied with the terms on offer.

    "I am very pessimistic about a positive outcome from the discussions," Lamboley said.

    "They have already sent us offers that are very far from our wishes. We are far from an agreement for the time being."

    United's move to temporarily extend the former Monaco man's stay comes after they activated a similar extension in David de Gea's deal last month.

    Martial has enjoyed flashes of good form this term and is the club's top scorer in the Premier League with seven goals from nine starts.

    He has, however, shared an occasionally rocky relationship with manager Jose Mourinho that was strained further when he failed to return promptly to the club's pre-season tour of the United States to attend the birth of his child.

    The France forward was restricted to a brief cameo off the bench as the Red Devils lost 3-1 at rivals Liverpool on Sunday, having been struggling with an injury sustained in the 2-2 draw with Arsenal.

  • Mourinho charge for 'improper' language dismissed Mourinho charge for 'improper' language dismissed

    Jose Mourinho will not face any further action from the Football Association (FA) after an independent commission's decision to dismiss a charge of using abusive, insulting and improper language.

    Manchester United found themselves 2-0 down early on at Old Trafford against Newcastle United in October, but three goals in the last 20 minutes saw them turn the game on its head and spare the blushes of Mourinho, who was reportedly in danger of being sacked at the time.

    At full-time, a relieved Mourinho was caught by television cameras muttering words deemed to have been "abusive and/or insulting and/or improper" during his celebrations.

    An independent regulatory commission opted not to impose a punishment on Mourinho, because it was determined the charges could not be proven, highlighting the fact the manager's comments were not aimed at anyone in particular and unlikely to have been interpreted by many.

    The commission also accepted the defence – put forward by a Portuguese language expert – that had someone interpreted Mourinho's comments, they would not have been offended, rather understood an expression of vindication or success after long suffering.

    The FA appealed that decision in November and were supported by an appeal board, but they learned on Monday that the charge has been dismissed by another independent commission.

    An FA statement read: "The FA welcomes the original decision of the appeal board to uphold its appeal against Mr Mourinho for using abusive, insulting and improper language after the Manchester United v Newcastle United match on 6 October 2018.

    "It also respects the decision of the Independent Regulatory Commission to dismiss the charge based on the legal argument submitted by Mr Mourinho.

    "The FA's position, which it maintained throughout the hearing, was that Mr Mourinho directed his abusive, insulting and improper words directly towards the camera lens, and in these circumstances, the decision to charge was consistent with previous FA charging practice.

    "Whilst we accept that the Independent Regulatory Commission disagreed on this occasion, The FA wishes to make clear that it will continue to take action against participants for any form of abusive, insulting, or improper language or behaviour, which is directed towards a camera. The FA now considers this matter to be closed."

     

  • Atletico confirm Filipe Luis hamstring injury Atletico confirm Filipe Luis hamstring injury

    Atletico Madrid defender Filipe Luis looks set to be out of action for around three weeks after the club confirmed he has suffered a hamstring strain.

    The Brazilian left-back was forced off an hour into Atletico's dramatic 3-2 win at Real Valladolid on Saturday.

    Atletico announced on Monday that, following an MRI scan, the 33-year-old sustained a grade one strain.

    Although the club have not set a specific return date, a rest period of three weeks is recommended after such injuries.

    As such, Filipe Luis will most likely miss Saturday's visit of Espanyol and the trip to second-placed Sevilla on January 6, although he could be in contention to return against Girona in the Copa del Rey three days later.

    Filipe Luis has played in 13 of Atletico's 16 LaLiga games this term.

SportsMax Zone

Latest Tweets

Which match-up is the most mouth-watering of the round of 16? Champions League last 16: Draw in full  See full dr… https://t.co/kRVVZJTPx3
has Shai Hope's performances in the ODIs and now in this T20 changed the views on his ability as a short form crick… https://t.co/e8sRXkT7Ah
Will the Guyana Jaguars win it all again this season? https://t.co/Z7u7pJ57kP https://t.co/oR5FJLOHLz
Follow SportsMax on Twitter
© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.