Guardiola speaks out on UEFA's FFP probe into Manchester City

By Sports Desk December 04, 2018

Pep Guardiola says he has full trust in Manchester City's operations as he waits for UEFA to conclude an investigation into the club's alleged Financial Fair Play breaches.

There have been suggestions that City could be banned from next season's Champions League if they are found guilty of circumventing FFP regulations.

German magazine Der Spiegel made a number of claims against City last month, based on documents purportedly obtained from whistleblowing platform Football Leaks, which allegedly show the Premier League champions contravened rules on how much money owners are allowed to put into a club.

City dismissed the claims, insisting "the attempt to damage the club's reputation is organised and clear".

UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin said this week that Europe's governing body was "assessing the situation" around City, adding: "We have an independent body working on it. Very soon you will have an answer on what will happen in this concrete case."

Speaking after his side's 2-1 win at Watford on Tuesday, Guardiola underlined his hopes for a swift resolution.

"UEFA is doing what it is doing. If it found something, the club will make a statement and I like that because we'll know exactly how we're going to finish," he said.

"If there's something regular, we'll know it. If we did something not regular, the people can finish to talk about [it].

"I trust a lot in my club, in our organisation. If something is wrong, they are going to tell us."

City's win at Vicarage Road came thanks to goals from Leroy Sane and Riyad Mahrez, although the result was placed under threat when Abdoulaye Doucoure scrambled home in the 85th minute.

Guardiola urged his players to learn from the scare after they had controlled the majority of the match.

"In the last minutes, anything could have happened, but we played 65, 70 minutes at a top, top level, so aggressive. We had many, many chances," he said.

"Last season, we won against Southampton [in the] 95th minute and West Ham [in] the last minute. That's football: you can't expect when you're away and you don't score the third goal and concede one that you don't suffer.

"Anything can happen in this kind of game but, okay, in general, three quarters of the game was good.

"You can never forget to play. Until the last second, [when] the referee decides to go home, you have to play and play and play."

Sergio Aguero again missed the game due to injury, and Guardiola conceded he is not yet sure if the striker will be fit for Saturday's trip to Chelsea.

"I don't know right now. Tomorrow [Wednesday], they're going to tell me," he said.

However, the 47-year-old calmed any fears that captain Vincent Kompany was injured in the second half, saying: "It was cramp. He's okay."

Related items

  • PSG matches against Montellier and Dijon rearranged PSG matches against Montellier and Dijon rearranged

    Paris Saint-Germain's Ligue 1 contests against Montpellier and Dijon have been rearranged for February and March, respectively, after they were postponed due to the 'gilet jaunes' demonstrations.

    France's civil unrest began in November as people protested against president Emmanuel Macron's eco-tax on fuel, but it has since developed into an anti-government movement.

    Protests and demonstrations have caused havoc and rioting across the country, particularly in the capital Paris, with a host of sporting events being impacted due to the strain on the police and security services.

    PSG's home match with high-flying Montpellier was due to take place on December 8 and then initially rearranged for January 15.

    Following an announcement from Ligue 1, that contest will now be played on February 19 or 20, while PSG's trip to Dijon is set for March 13, having been called off last weekend.

  • Martial agent clouds long-term future after United trigger extension Martial agent clouds long-term future after United trigger extension

    Manchester United have automatically extended Anthony Martial's contract through to the end of next season but the player's agent remains "very pessimistic" about a longer-term commitment.

    The Premier League club triggered their option on a one-year extension to prevent the 23-year-old from leaving on a free transfer at the end of 2018-19.

    He is now tied down until 2020 but it appears Martial and the club remain a long way from settling negotiations over a reported five-year contract offer.

    Martial's agent Philippe Lamboley, who in June said his client wanted to leave Old Trafford, revealed to RMC Sport that he is dissatisfied with the terms on offer.

    "I am very pessimistic about a positive outcome from the discussions," Lamboley said.

    "They have already sent us offers that are very far from our wishes. We are far from an agreement for the time being."

    United's move to temporarily extend the former Monaco man's stay comes after they activated a similar extension in David de Gea's deal last month.

    Martial has enjoyed flashes of good form this term and is the club's top scorer in the Premier League with seven goals from nine starts.

    He has, however, shared an occasionally rocky relationship with manager Jose Mourinho that was strained further when he failed to return promptly to the club's pre-season tour of the United States to attend the birth of his child.

    The France forward was restricted to a brief cameo off the bench as the Red Devils lost 3-1 at rivals Liverpool on Sunday, having been struggling with an injury sustained in the 2-2 draw with Arsenal.

  • Barcelona boss Valverde admits to Lyon uncertainty Barcelona boss Valverde admits to Lyon uncertainty

    Ernesto Valverde cautioned Barcelona against complacency after confessing to knowing little about Champions League last-16 opponents Lyon.

    The LaLiga leaders avoided an undesirable date with Liverpool in Monday's draw but were set the awkward challenge of a developing team that went unbeaten in Group F.

    Lyon memorably toppled Manchester City at the Etihad Stadium in September and twice led the Premier League champions during an entertaining 2-2 draw in the reverse encounter.

    Valverde, who guided Barca comfortably through a group containing Tottenham and Inter, conceded his knowledge of the Ligue 1 outfit is limited, but the Spaniard knows enough to be wary.

    "The truth is that I have seen little. I have a general idea, there are some players that we know, but we have to prepare well," Valverde told his club's media channel.

    "It's a team that was challenging City for leadership of the group until the last game and won at their ground.

    "That shows the difficulty to win any game. Not only for us, but for any team.

    "I have the sense they are a very dangerous team in space because they break very well, very fast, and we have to be a little careful.

    "We can't afford to be complacent. We have two months to refine ourselves a bit more, to study the opponents more and get to the tie in good shape."

    Barca, three points clear in LaLiga, are aiming to improve on three straight quarter-final exits in the Champions League.

    They will meet Lyon in France on February 19 before hosting the return leg in Spain the following month.

SportsMax Zone

Latest Tweets

#Barcelona coach #Valverde says 'We just have to enjoy #Messi while he’s here’ after his hat-trick on Sunday! More… https://t.co/ZTlXGwR2kw
Can Shai Hope find the goods to become a premier batsman in all three formats? Dwayne Smith hopes Shai keeps getti… https://t.co/M7PSNtKOKI
Which match-up is the most mouth-watering of the round of 16? Champions League last 16: Draw in full  See full dr… https://t.co/kRVVZJTPx3
Follow SportsMax on Twitter
© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.