UEFA could ban Manchester City from 2019-20 Champions League over FFP

By Sports Desk December 04, 2018

Manchester City could potentially be banned from next season's Champions League due to alleged Financial Fair Play (FFP) breaches, with UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin say an investigation could be concluded: "very soon".

German magazine Der Spiegel made a number of claims against City last month in a series of articles based on documents purportedly attained from whistleblowers Football Leaks.

Der Spiegel's reporting accused Sheikh Mansour's City regime of topping up multi-million-pound sponsorship deals with Abu Dhabi companies, using their owner's fortune, in order to meet UEFA's FFP stipulations.

Further allegations claimed City were cut a favourable FFP settlement when they were punished for overspending by UEFA in 2014.

The Premier League champions dismissed the stories and said: "the attempt to damage the club's reputation is organised and clear".

UEFA said soon after that it could re-open investigations should more information become available to them, and Ceferin this week referred to City's case as "concrete", with findings expected in the near future after media reports suggested a Champions League ban is a possibility.

"We are assessing the situation," he told reporters in Dublin. "We have an independent body working on it. Very soon you will have an answer on what will happen in this concrete case."

FIFA president Gianni Infantino was UEFA general secretary at the time of City's 2014 FFP settlement and defended the agreements reached with them and Ligue 1 giants Paris Saint-Germain

"Our goal at UEFA was always to keep the clubs with us, not to kick them out, so you negotiate and seek solutions. That was my job as general secretary," he told Swiss publication Blick last month.

"The fact is, in the history of FFP, 30 violations have been detected. With all but one club, there were agreements - agreements and negotiations are expressly allowed."

Related items

  • Ten Hag unsure whether to risk Ajax stars against Bayern Ten Hag unsure whether to risk Ajax stars against Bayern

    Erik ten Hag indicated he may rest Ajax stars for their last Champions League group game against Bayern Munich even though top spot in Group E is at stake.

    Kasper Dolberg, Hakim Ziyech and Donny van de Beek are among the players carrying injuries with Ajax needing to beat the Bundesliga champions in Amsterdam to finish first.

    With a place in the knockout rounds already guaranteed for the Eredivisie side, Ten Hag is unsure whether or not players including Ziyech will be risked against Bayern.

    "I think you always come across something. Fortunately, we have a large squad, which enables us to take care of injuries," he told reporters on Tuesday.

    "Last weekend [at PEC Zwolle] we played on artificial grass, or an ice rink if you like. At the highest level, these kinds of fields do not belong, unfortunately this is the case in the Netherlands.

    "We hope that we have everyone on board to take the fight, but we have to wait for the last training sessions, we have no certainty.

    "The first place in the group is important. You can create a better starting position in this. But we also have to deal with a competition.

    "We have to make a good assessment. We cannot exclude anything."

    Ajax lost goalkeeper Andre Onana to injury in the first half of their Eredivisie win at Zwolle on Saturday.

    The 22-year-old, though, expects to recover from a hamstring problem in time to face Bayern.

    "I think I'm ready to play," he told a news conference. "I'll probably be there, but I'm going to train first."

    Ajax are widely expected to lose star midfielder Frenkie De Jong, who has been linked with Paris Saint-Germain and Barcelona, either in January or at the end of the season.

    Teenage defender Matthijs de Ligt has also been linked with leaving Ajax but Onana is unconcerned about the prospect of the club being without two of Europe's brightest young talents.

    "Of course we want to do something big for the club," Onana added. "There are a lot of rumours about some players, but in the end we are Ajax players and we want to win everything."

  • Paul Gascoigne pleads not guilty to sexual assault Paul Gascoigne pleads not guilty to sexual assault

    Former England, Newcastle United and Tottenham midfielder Paul Gascoigne has pleaded not guilty to a charge of sexual assault.

    Gascoigne, 51, who earned 57 England caps between 1988 and 1998, was arrested on August 20 and charged on November 19 with allegedly sexually assaulting a woman on a train.

    He appeared at Peterlee Magistrates' Court in County Durham on Tuesday and entered a plea of not guilty.

    Gascoigne's case was subsequently transferred to Teeside Crown Court and will be heard on January 8 next year.

  • Silva, Fernandinho add to Guardiola's injury woes Silva, Fernandinho add to Guardiola's injury woes

    Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola claims he is down to 15 available senior players for Wednesday's Champions League match against Hoffenheim after David Silva and Fernandinho were added to his injury list.

    Silva will be out for "a few weeks" after sustaining an apparent hamstring injury in City's 2-0 Premier League loss at Chelsea on Saturday.

    Fernandinho completed his team's first league defeat of their title defence but appeared in discomfort towards the end of the 90 minutes.

    Kevin De Bruyne's ongoing rehabilitation from a knee ligament injury means Guardiola's first-choice midfield three from last season are not available to take on Hoffenheim, with a point required for City to secure top spot in Group F.

    Sergio Aguero remains out with an abductor complaint, although the Argentina striker could be back when City host Everton on Saturday, while full-backs Benjamin Mendy and Danilo remain on the sidelines.

    On Silva's injury, Guardiola explained: "He was substituted for a muscular problem. He will be stopped for a few days, a few weeks

    "Maybe Sergio has a chance for the weekend.

    "We have 15 players available, so rotating, I cannot do it too much.

    "We are in a real tough game. We are in the next stage, that is important. We want to win the game because every game we have to try to win, [we want] to finish first.

    "It doesn't matter if you finish first or second, the last 16 is always tough."

    Guardiola spoke of how highly he rates Hoffenheim counterpart Julian Nagelsmann, dating back to their meetings when the Catalan was in charge of Bayern Munich.

    Hoffenheim's efforts in their 3-2 defeat to Shakhtar Donetsk last time out in the Champions League, despite being down to 10 men, gave Guardiola a newfound admiration for their play.

    "Hoffenheim against Shakhtar was one of the most incredible games I watched as a spectator in the last years," Guardiola added, having studied a recording of the match this week.

    "They were incredible how they created, how they did it – even with 10 players for 30 minutes, and they lost!

    "It was fascinating watching that game. My admiration and point of view of Hoffenheim has increased. I know about Julian Nagelsmann and his team and I realise how tough it will be."

SportsMax Zone

Latest Tweets

Big praise for the Jamaican-born player from the world's best football coach. https://t.co/48oAha1lxx https://t.co/mMDYQam0Pl
Can Alia Atkinson take home the 50m breaststroke gold at the World Championships? https://t.co/hy3qcknCKH https://t.co/aeFiwJ92pi
Do you believe the Windies should employ a West Indian coach? Larry Gomes wants a West Indies-born coach for regio… https://t.co/XibHgnSK7k
Follow SportsMax on Twitter
© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.